Please read the FAQ

Old September 19th 03, 07:36 AM
Switters

Default Please read the FAQ

New readers of the group should read the FAQ. This saves the same old
questions being asked time over. It will make you cooler, and you'll get
more girls/guys. Vast riches will be found under your bed, and you'll
live a longer life.*

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

* All alleged benefits are conceptual in reality and relative to someone
else. Value of riches may go down as well as up. Written quotation is not
available, requested or not.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Old September 19th 03, 02:55 PM
Scott Lindner

I hate to be a dick about this but I wouldn't expect people to do that nor
do I plan on doing so myself. The RTFM tactic can be applied to nearly all
questions in existence. Someone has already written the book on nearly all
topics. It's not practical nor is it very social to go to the "library" for
all answers. Half the fun is to chat with other boarders.

This is a newsgroup intended for all people to post questions, share ideas,
and yap about whatever as long as it's about snowboarding. Don't stifle
that and turn this into a FAQ pimping board.

Scott

Old September 19th 03, 07:09 PM
Neil Gendzwill

"Scott Lindner" wrote in message ...
I hate to be a dick about this but I wouldn't expect people to do that nor
do I plan on doing so myself.

Well you are being a dick about it. Common netiquette across all
usenet groups is to read the FAQ for the group before posting.
Old September 19th 03, 07:38 PM
Steve Dold

On 19 Sep 2003, Neil Gendzwill wrote:

Well you are being a dick about it. Common netiquette across all
usenet groups is to read the FAQ for the group before posting.

Maybe Dave should include a section on top posting and quote trimming :-)

Naw...guys like that will never read it...

Old September 19th 03, 08:25 PM
Scott Lindner

Why bother having a newsgroup if net cops are going to throw the RTFM flag?

Scott

Old September 19th 03, 08:53 PM
Scott

Scott Lindner wrote:

snipping fluff

Why bother having a newsgroup if net cops are going to throw the RTFM flag?

Do you butt in and talk over people while in the middle of a verbal
conversation with them ? Well top posting and quote trimming is the NG
equivalent of applying these good manners.

Don't agree with it by all means, we're not fascists in here but be sure
and wear your asbestos undies...it'll get warm in here.

PS had you made the effort to lurk awhile or search back on the NG
you'll see Dave 'throws this RTFM Flag' as a polite reminder (nothing
more or less) on a monthly basis....

btw welcome to RSS.

--
"A man walks into a cake shop and says 'Is that a macaroon or a meringue?'
The assistant replies 'No, you're right. It's a macaroon.'"

Old September 19th 03, 09:00 PM
Scott Lindner

Yes.. I'm well aware and like to trim as well. I don't like scrolling to
the bottom through multi levels of messages in a single post to read the one
line response at the bottom. But I also don't play net cop either because
through time people will catch on.

My post was in response to the a*hole net cops. why have a newsgroup if
people can't ask questions? ALL questions have been asked before so there's
no need to post if you read first. So I gotta ask again.. why have a
newsgroup? Is it for unique one first time questions? Then I say start a
private news group and include only radical extremist boarder by day / net
cop by night types to discuss the new topics. For the rest of us that want
to talk about things that have been asked before there's should be the
commoners newsgroup.

The other newsgroup I frequent never gets flame wars. But I think it's the
only one like it. This one I mostly just read since it's fairly inactive.
Now that the net cops have come out I'm starting to see why it hasn't been
very active since I started reading it about a year ago.

BTW, just because I didn't make this statement the first couple of times the
RTFM post was made doesn't mean I didn't read it.

I've been around reading for about a year. I had to post in response to the
RTFM message though. It's a good point to make but I guess the net cops
didn't receive it well.

OK.. defensiveness over. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheers
Scott

Old September 20th 03, 02:50 AM
Steve Dold

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Scott Lindner wrote:

My post was in response to the a*hole net cops. why have a newsgroup if

People who read the FAQ are better informed and the questions (which
we welcome) are a lot more insightful after they've read it.

Dave left a very nice message reminding newcomers that there is a lot of
info in the FAQ. He wasn't an a*hole at all. That FAQ was a huge help to
me when I started and I appreciate it. I wouldn't have known about it if
he hadn't made a similar post pointing it out. If you spend any length of
time here, which we hope you do, you'll see how tedius it can become when
the same questions are asked over and over and over :-P

And quit top posting!

Just kidding. But I gotta ask...why quote if you're posting at the top
anyway? It makes it really hard to follow the message thread archives
when you do that by the way.

Old September 20th 03, 05:30 AM
Jason Watkins

Just cuz it's a f. a. q. doesn't mean some of us might not enjoy
discussing it again, or that a new perspective might pop up.

Is your beef that somehow this group has TO MUCH traffic to scan
through and get to the posts that interest you? If that's the case,
why are you spending time to a pointless saga debating RTFM has been
done a billion times over in internet forum history?
Old September 20th 03, 10:10 PM
Scott Lindner

I think open discussion is a great thing. With the other newsgroup I
frequent I see the same question asked time and time again. It gets 100s of
posts a day and yet people happily welcome newbies and answer the same
questions over and over because it creates a friendly group. Which it is
probably the friendliest newsgroup of all of them. Of course the nature of
the topic is probably a good reason why it's so friendly.

Scott

om...