A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil Classic Binding.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 7th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 137
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil Classic Binding.

I tried my new Salomon Pilot 2 Classic boots today with my old Salomon
Profil Classic bindings. Immediately I knew something wasn't right.
There was way to much pressure at the axis/ flexor position. The roller
ski felt cocked and loaded and not easy to control. I remember last
season someone mentioned at this site the need to cut some material off
the flexor (bumper) to accomadate the 10mm axis set back on the Pilot
2. I'll try cutting it down and see what happens. Also someone mention
Salomon may have a retro fit flexor for this change. Any other skiers
experiences with this would be appreciated.

Ads
  #2  
Old November 8th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil Classic Binding.

Sounds like a good reason to avoid the new boots and bindings until I
really need them, unless you tell us later in the season that the
Classic Pilot is the Holy Grail. I still can't really tell much
difference between the Pilot and Profl skate systems.

Randy
ADK Skier wrote:
I tried my new Salomon Pilot 2 Classic boots today with my old Salomon
Profil Classic bindings. Immediately I knew something wasn't right.
There was way to much pressure at the axis/ flexor position. The roller
ski felt cocked and loaded and not easy to control. I remember last
season someone mentioned at this site the need to cut some material off
the flexor (bumper) to accomadate the 10mm axis set back on the Pilot
2. I'll try cutting it down and see what happens. Also someone mention
Salomon may have a retro fit flexor for this change. Any other skiers
experiences with this would be appreciated.


  #3  
Old November 8th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 565
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil ClassicBinding.

Salomon changed the Pilot binding this year. I think they moved the
front pin back. For the Pilot classical boot, you might check with a
shop, but I've heard that the bumper has to modified to use with Profil
bindings.



"ADK Skier" wrote:

I tried my new Salomon Pilot 2 Classic boots today with my old Salomon
Profil Classic bindings. Immediately I knew something wasn't right.
There was way to much pressure at the axis/ flexor position. The roller
ski felt cocked and loaded and not easy to control. I remember last
season someone mentioned at this site the need to cut some material off
the flexor (bumper) to accomadate the 10mm axis set back on the Pilot
2. I'll try cutting it down and see what happens. Also someone mention
Salomon may have a retro fit flexor for this change. Any other skiers
experiences with this would be appreciated.

  #4  
Old November 8th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil Classic Binding.

ADK Skier wrote:
I tried my new Salomon Pilot 2 Classic boots today with my old Salomon
Profil Classic bindings. Immediately I knew something wasn't right.


wrote:
Sounds like a good reason to avoid the new boots and bindings until I
really need them, unless you tell us later in the season that the
Classic Pilot is the Holy Grail.



I spent some time looking at the new Pilot Classic binding. The
glaring change is the fact there is no flexor; there is a "hook" which
attaches to the 2nd bar on the boot. The hook is attached to a Kevlar
strap which pulls out of (and retracts back into) a mechanism inside
the center ridge of the binding plate. This ridge is flared towards
the toe of the boot and the back of it has an adjuster screw to vary
the tension of the strap. There is a small indicator to tell you where
the screw is positioned.

The flared center ridge DOES NOT mate with any of the older classic
boots - the recess in an older boot does not fit over it unless you are
planning to carve the sole up a bit. That doesn't really matter though
because there is no flexor to return the ski anyway. The bottom line
is that if you want the new Pilot Classic binding, you'll need to buy
new boots too.

I've heard folks describe the new classic binding as "80% gimmick".
I've got some concerns about whether they will ice up and stop working.


- Bob

  #5  
Old November 8th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 565
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil ClassicBinding.

I had a chance to demo a pair of the S-Lab classical boots without and
then with Pilot bindings. For some reason the Salomon rep gave me
Profil binding skis without my realizing it and I came back 30 minutes
later saying the boots were really comfortable but there didn't seem
any difference in the feel of the bindings. They definitely did work
with the Profil bindings, no question. Then someone noticed the
problem and switched the skis, and the difference was immediate. The
feeling was smoother, more solid all the way through to landing. You'll
have to judge for yourself whether the cost is worth it. Not sure why
they would ice up anymore than other Salomon pilots, which for me
has been rare. NNN always iced up more for me than Salo's.

rm

" wrote:

I spent some time looking at the new Pilot Classic binding. The
glaring change is the fact there is no flexor; there is a "hook" which
attaches to the 2nd bar on the boot. The hook is attached to a Kevlar
strap which pulls out of (and retracts back into) a mechanism inside
the center ridge of the binding plate. This ridge is flared towards
the toe of the boot and the back of it has an adjuster screw to vary
the tension of the strap. There is a small indicator to tell you where
the screw is positioned.

The flared center ridge DOES NOT mate with any of the older classic
boots - the recess in an older boot does not fit over it unless you are
planning to carve the sole up a bit. That doesn't really matter though
because there is no flexor to return the ski anyway. The bottom line
is that if you want the new Pilot Classic binding, you'll need to buy
new boots too.

I've heard folks describe the new classic binding as "80% gimmick".
I've got some concerns about whether they will ice up and stop working.


- Bob

  #6  
Old November 8th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 137
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil Classic Binding.

I understand how the Pilot 2 classic binding works and what it looks
like. I bought a pair. Just curious about fitting the Pilot 2 classic
boot to the Profile classic binding. I learned from a reader here
Salomon will not make a retro bumper kit and they feel the Pilot 2
Classic will not work optimally with the Profil Classic binding even
with cutting down the flexor by 2 grooves.

wrote:
I had a chance to demo a pair of the S-Lab classical boots without and
then with Pilot bindings. For some reason the Salomon rep gave me
Profil binding skis without my realizing it and I came back 30 minutes
later saying the boots were really comfortable but there didn't seem
any difference in the feel of the bindings. They definitely did work
with the Profil bindings, no question. Then someone noticed the
problem and switched the skis, and the difference was immediate. The
feeling was smoother, more solid all the way through to landing. You'll
have to judge for yourself whether the cost is worth it. Not sure why
they would ice up anymore than other Salomon pilots, which for me
has been rare. NNN always iced up more for me than Salo's.

rm

" wrote:

I spent some time looking at the new Pilot Classic binding. The
glaring change is the fact there is no flexor; there is a "hook" which
attaches to the 2nd bar on the boot. The hook is attached to a Kevlar
strap which pulls out of (and retracts back into) a mechanism inside
the center ridge of the binding plate. This ridge is flared towards
the toe of the boot and the back of it has an adjuster screw to vary
the tension of the strap. There is a small indicator to tell you where
the screw is positioned.

The flared center ridge DOES NOT mate with any of the older classic
boots - the recess in an older boot does not fit over it unless you are
planning to carve the sole up a bit. That doesn't really matter though
because there is no flexor to return the ski anyway. The bottom line
is that if you want the new Pilot Classic binding, you'll need to buy
new boots too.

I've heard folks describe the new classic binding as "80% gimmick".
I've got some concerns about whether they will ice up and stop working.


- Bob


  #7  
Old November 8th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 565
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil ClassicBinding.

Are you sure this isn't about selling product vs the technical? Almost
any manufacturer will tell you that their product won't be optimal
without the latest and greatest (of only their brand). Wait for a demo
day in your area.

rm

"ADK Skier" wrote:

I understand how the Pilot 2 classic binding works and what it looks
like. I bought a pair. Just curious about fitting the Pilot 2 classic
boot to the Profile classic binding. I learned from a reader here
Salomon will not make a retro bumper kit and they feel the Pilot 2
Classic will not work optimally with the Profil Classic binding even
with cutting down the flexor by 2 grooves.

wrote:
I had a chance to demo a pair of the S-Lab classical boots without and
then with Pilot bindings. For some reason the Salomon rep gave me
Profil binding skis without my realizing it and I came back 30 minutes
later saying the boots were really comfortable but there didn't seem
any difference in the feel of the bindings. They definitely did work
with the Profil bindings, no question. Then someone noticed the
problem and switched the skis, and the difference was immediate. The
feeling was smoother, more solid all the way through to landing. You'll
have to judge for yourself whether the cost is worth it. Not sure why
they would ice up anymore than other Salomon pilots, which for me
has been rare. NNN always iced up more for me than Salo's.

rm

  #8  
Old November 8th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 144
Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil Classic Binding.


wrote:
Are you sure this isn't about selling product vs the technical? Almost
any manufacturer will tell you that their product won't be optimal
without the latest and greatest (of only their brand). Wait for a demo
day in your area.


Although I am a Salomon user (they happen to fit me best, now I'm in
the system, invested in bindings so I'm reluctant to change),it really
bothers me that they seem the most intent on making frequent changes,
mostly if not all for the sake of marketing and perceived (not actual)
obsolescence. they claim product improvement, but my opinion is that
it's marketing and badging. In other words, a certain percentage of
salomon boot owners will change their boots every 3 years or so just
because the new stuff looks different, not because their old stuff is
worn out or that the new stuff is actually better. It may or may not
be better, but I am certain the absolute best case is that the
improvement is marginal or imperceptable. The worst case is that
different is not better.

Alpina, Rosssy and others seem much less intent in making super obvious
visual changes in their boot graphics. A three year old Alpina is not
different than a new one at a quick glance. Therefore, I think there
are much fewer owners of those lines that will change just to keep up
with appearances. They'll change when their stuff is worn out or they
really think the new boot fits better or performs better.

And the NNN binding does not change at all - and continues to be as
functional and efficient as what is now the third generation of Salomon
that is not backward compatable. (my opinion is that NNNIII is not in
that planned obsolescence category because it is TOTALLY compatable
with NNNII. boots)

All of these manufacturers are guilty of changing just to keep product
moving, no big deal. But Salomon I think is just so outrageous in that
regard.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Profil or Pilot bindings; Race Skate 9 and Carbon Pro boot fit; Best sources for V2 105 SR; Type of socks; Leg brake; Poles [email protected] Nordic Skiing 19 May 17th 06 11:16 AM
Pilot Boots in Profil Bindings? Jonathan Shefftz Nordic Skiing 3 November 17th 04 08:46 PM
Salomon 9 vs Carbon Griss Nordic Skiing 9 January 6th 04 04:25 PM
Pilot Boots with Classic Skis? What binding? Mark Frost Nordic Skiing 3 November 5th 03 08:40 PM
Pilot binding system -- what's the point? Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 1 August 14th 03 03:28 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.