changing V2 Aero 150 tires

Old August 17th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default changing V2 Aero 150 tires

I have V2 Aero 150 roller skis. One of the tubes just blew and I am
trying to replace it. I have broken one tire lever trying to get the
tire off. Any hints / suggestions on this is most easily done? A lot
harder than a bike tire ... Thanks!

Old August 20th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Matty

I just had the same problem yesterday and after an hour of frustration
(trying to get the new tube and tire back on) I swallowed my pride and
paid the guy at my local bike shop $2 to do it. I took him about 10
minutes.

On the subject of blown tubes...I bought new rollerskis only two months
ago and have blown two tubes (a 150 and a 125) already - both with the
same problem: a tear at the base of the valve. It seems odd to me that
the tubes failed so quickly and in the same way. Has anyone else had
this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Matt Yurdin
San Francisco

Old August 20th 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

My 150mm Micro (kickscooter) wheels I bought for a rollerski project must
then be easier that the V's. With some tire levers I get them of, no real
problem. I *can* get the tire back on without tools, just standing on the
wheel with bare feet. Not really easy though.
The Micro wheels are full slicks and cost between ?10-15 in Europe. Just
onder 300g for tire+tube+rim.

The blown tubes sound like overheating or/or rotation tires relative to the
rim. It happens to mountainbikes on extremely steep downhills where the
brakes are on max all the time. Did it happen in conjunction with a fast
downhill and speedreducer perhaps? Otherwise maybe the rim has rough edges
that do their work at high-psi.

"Matty" schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old August 20th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Yeah, it took me a while to figure this out, too.

First, I use old Schwinn steel tire levers, though I think I've used
plastic ones as well. Getting the tires off hasn't been as much of a
problem as mounting the new ones, however. I have three tips for that:

First, I heat the tires in the oven as low as it will go, about 170F.

Second, I spray the wheel, tube, and tire with silicone lubricant.

Third, and most importantly, I clamp a Phillips screwdriver with a
shaft that the wheel axle bearings will slide over in a vise, pointing
up, and mount the tire and tube with my hands only with the wheel on
the shaft. This allows a lot more force to be applied with my hand,
like bracing a bicycle wheel axle against the edge of the workbench
when mounting a bike tire. This last tip is the most effective, and I
may even skip the first two.

This brings up another related topic: heat treating the tires for
longer wear. My friends here in South Bend at the Tire Rack will heat
treat new car tires by use of a friction roller device before delivery.
Heating the new rubber and letting it sit for a few days is claimed
to promote more cross-linking of the rubber in the high performance
tires they sell, resulting in better wear at the track. I've been
doing this for my Aero tires with the kitchen oven as desribed above
for a few years, and think the tires last a little longer, though I
have no objective data. Check out the Tire Rack website.

Randy
wrote:
I have V2 Aero 150 roller skis. One of the tubes just blew and I am
trying to replace it. I have broken one tire lever trying to get the
tire off. Any hints / suggestions on this is most easily done? A lot
harder than a bike tire ... Thanks!

If I got Hakki tires, would I be cool? Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 1 March 1st 05 08:24 AM
"New" Aero 125SR Tires & Wheels? Bob Maswick Nordic Skiing 4 October 23rd 04 10:09 AM
New V2 Aero Tires Jon Nordic Skiing 0 December 19th 03 02:00 PM
V2 aero 125s (wheel failures) Me Nordic Skiing 0 October 1st 03 07:35 AM
Can you put SR 125 tires onto Aero R-skis that came with 150 tires? Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 2 August 12th 03 10:59 PM