what is more important in downhill, leg strength or aerobic capacity?

Old July 3rd 03, 02:02 AM
Mike Speegle

Default what is more important in downhill, leg strength or aerobic capacity?

In news:Raptor typed:
Mike Speegle wrote:
In news:Tom Kunich typed:

I say the most important thing in a downhill is a really low IQ.

*BIG* balls. Tiny brain also helps. ;-)

Guts-wise, it's little different from bombing a canyon or col road at
85+kph, though I haven't yet been able to get myself to tuck down the
start of the Grizzly course. Maybe with a groomed, closed course,
which I'm never prone to get... (If someone were to go through the
trouble of closing the course for little old me, I'd swallow my fear
and do the sucker.)

All it really takes is a love for speed, g-forces and strong legs (and
the necessary ski skill).

...and the sound of the wind as you accelerate. Really cool. ;-)
--
Mike
"Colorado Ski Country, USA" Come often, Ski hard,

Old July 3rd 03, 08:06 PM
Armin

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

Uhh . . . the skiers I used to hang with were really, really good.
They were about equivalent to Cat 3 bike racers and triathletes and
stuff.

Cool, I'm always looking for new ski partners. How about you join me for a
run down one of my favourite couloirs?
Perhaps I could even pick up a few pointers.

Therefore, I know what I'm talking about.

I'm betting on it or more to the point, you'll be betting your life on it.

Ciao,
Armin

Old July 3rd 03, 08:19 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Armin" wrote in message
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

Uhh . . . the skiers I used to hang with were really, really good.
They were about equivalent to Cat 3 bike racers and triathletes and
stuff.

Cool, I'm always looking for new ski partners. How about you join me for a
run down one of my favourite couloirs?
Perhaps I could even pick up a few pointers.

Therefore, I know what I'm talking about.

I'm betting on it or more to the point, you'll be betting your life on it.

I've seen some of those couliers in magazines. Overblown. My studly Cat 3
buddies would leave you in their dust.

Old July 3rd 03, 09:14 PM
Armin

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
"Armin" wrote in message
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

Uhh . . . the skiers I used to hang with were really, really good.
They were about equivalent to Cat 3 bike racers and triathletes and
stuff.

Cool, I'm always looking for new ski partners. How about you join me
for a run down one of my favourite couloirs?
Perhaps I could even pick up a few pointers.

Therefore, I know what I'm talking about.

I'm betting on it or more to the point, you'll be betting your life
on it.

I've seen some of those couliers in magazines. Overblown. My studly
Cat 3 buddies would leave you in their dust.

I once saw some pictures of the TdF.
Looked like a walk in the park. What they thought was steep wouldn't even
make a good beginners hill at the local ski resort.
I'm sure any decent skier could leave those gay looking guys wearing day-glo
tights in their dust.

After all, pictures never lie.

Armin

Old July 3rd 03, 09:43 PM
Stewart Fleming

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

Dead people are definitely slower than people who lack leg strength.
Therefore, I submit that aerobic capacity is more important in the downhill.

As has been pointed out, dead people *can* have an advantage in a
straight downhill. Even more if rigor mortis has set in.

As a related data point, we submit results from the Queenstown winter
festival where individuals on cardboard boxes beat mountain bikers on
the downhill slopes.

So I would express the opinion that a deceased individual on a cardboard
box could easily outclass an individual with strong legs in a downhill
event. It may however, be difficult to acquire ethical approval for a
fully-detailed research study.

One of the mountainbikers was also heard to remark that the lack of snow
made his event too difficult. I think that is where both rbr and rsa
can find agreement.

Old July 3rd 03, 09:51 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Armin" wrote in message
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
"Armin" wrote in message
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

[...]

I agree.

The Sperminator will WIN THE PROLOGUE TOMMORROW!!!!!!

You heard it here first.

Kurgan Gringioni
downhill Xpert

Old July 4th 03, 06:53 PM
Sue

In message , Kurgan
Gringioni writes

ps. I used to hang out with some skiers once, therefore I know what

I'm
talking about

It is good that you are willing to learn, grasshopper, but one must travel
the path to knowledge one step at a time.

Uhh . . . the skiers I used to hang with were really, really good. They were
about equivalent to Cat 3 bike racers and triathletes and stuff.

Therefore, I know what I'm talking about.

When Grasshopper hang around this ng for a little while, discover that
really, really good skiers talk just as much total b*llocks as any other
kind of poster...
--
Sue ]

Old July 5th 03, 06:51 AM
bdubya

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:52:14 -0600, Fred Marx
wrote:

why are you skiers still crossposting here?

Hadn't reached the limit. And top-posters ain't keepers.

bw

Old July 5th 03, 08:21 PM
Sue

In message , Fred Marx
writes
why are you skiers still crossposting here?

I thought the OP was one of yours since I'd never seen him before, but I
see he's now claiming to be a skier. Sorry about that - we'll feed him
to the trolls over here.
--
Sue ]|(