Donek boards?

Old July 28th 04, 01:11 AM
The Blur

Default Donek boards?

I own several boards, (Option, Palmer Honeycomb, Donek Wide). My board of
choice is always the Donek. I am fairly new to snowboarding, only having
ridden about 3 years. The 161 Wide is, as they say, very stiff. I would
not recommend it for a beginner, but I wanted to dive into snowboarding, so
I figured what the hell. It has made me a better rider. I do prefer it to
softer boards, and I have ridden plenty of them. Except for choppy snow,
the Donek works great for me. The board is also super fast, if there is a
faster freeride board, I would be surprised.

Sean Martin, the owner is excellent to deal with and will work with you to
find the best board for your style of riding.

As for your wide foot, I have size 12 boots and use Palmer plates, they work
great on the Donek and I have no problem with drag.

FYI, my decision to buy a Donek was due to a lot of these same guys who post
in this newsgroup and Sean Martin. They were right on the money about the
board. If I had to do it all over again, I would make the same purchase.

"Rick Wilson" wrote in message
Anyone own a Donek board? I'm thinking about picking up a 161 wide to
replace my Joyride 165. I'm a freeride fanatic, haven't been to the park

or
pipe, but I might try it this year. I'm trying to find a board that is

wide
enough for my size 12 boots and will perform well for all types of riding

(I
know thats asking a lot).

Thanks,
Rick

Old July 28th 04, 01:36 AM
Mike T

Except for choppy snow,
the Donek works great for me.

Interesting!!! I find choppy snow one of time times the Doneks really excel.
The stiffer Salomons are the only non-alpine boards I can think of that
slice through the crud better.

Of course, if you're thinking of frozen crud, that's a different story
altogether - ride something really soft so you can turn at very low speed

Mike T

Old July 28th 04, 03:07 AM
Dean

The Blur wrote:

Except for choppy snow,
the Donek works great for me.

Please explain what you mean by choppy snow and the problem you have
experienced with it.

I find my Wide 161 to be far better in what I would call choppy snow. My
old board would bounce (flex and rebound). My Donek slices right
through.

Dean
Old July 28th 04, 02:44 PM
Brian

I didn't think my Donek Wide was terribly damp and did kind of bounce me
around in the hard crud. Maybe that is what he is referring to?

Brian.

Old July 29th 04, 04:27 PM
Arvin Chang

"Mike T" wrote in message . ..
Except for choppy snow,
the Donek works great for me.

Interesting!!! I find choppy snow one of time times the Doneks really excel.
The stiffer Salomons are the only non-alpine boards I can think of that
slice through the crud better.

Of course, if you're thinking of frozen crud, that's a different story
altogether - ride something really soft so you can turn at very low speed

Mike T

I was about to say... me too... except I did own a stiffer Salomon and
those babies blasted through the crud like nothing else. Still, my
Incline is noticeably more damp than my Neversummer Evo (park board)
which can get thrown around in the sloppy stuff.
Old July 29th 04, 07:15 PM
Kevin Morrison

Rick,

We have 6 boards that will work great for what you want to do. All have a
waist of 25.5 or above. From softest to stiffest here they are.

Twin 161, Phoenix160, Phoenix 163 wide, Phoenix165, and Wide 161 or Wide 165
..

The Twin and Phoenix aren't on the website yet so if you have any questions
email or give me a call.

--
Kevin Morrison
Donek Snowboards

206-227-3073

Old July 29th 04, 08:08 PM
Robert Stevahn

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:15:25 -0700, "Kevin Morrison"
wrote:

Cool, Sean has a rep. Business must be OK!

The Twin and Phoenix aren't on the website yet

Timeframe? I'm certainly considering a Phoenix this year to complement
my Incline 160, which I love.

-- Robert
Old July 29th 04, 11:05 PM
T. Tauri

Arvin Chang wrote:

"Mike T" wrote in message . ..
Except for choppy snow,
the Donek works great for me.

Interesting!!! I find choppy snow one of time times the
Doneks really excel. The stiffer Salomons are the only
non-alpine boards I can think of that slice through the
crud better.

Of course, if you're thinking of frozen crud, that's a
different story altogether - ride something really soft
so you can turn at very low speed

Mike T

I was about to say... me too... except I did own a stiffer
Salomon and those babies blasted through the crud like
nothing else. Still, my Incline is noticeably more damp
than my Neversummer Evo (park board) which can get thrown
around in the sloppy stuff.

To me, the thing with my Donek & crud is you have to stay pretty
committed; on crud-filled runouts and such where I might relax a bit
more on another board, I have to stick with my carve on my Incline.

At least that's how it seems through the haze of a summer without
riding.

Peece,
T. Tauri

Old July 30th 04, 12:25 AM
Mike T

To me, the thing with my Donek & crud is you have to stay pretty
committed; on crud-filled runouts and such where I might relax a bit
more on another board, I have to stick with my carve on my Incline.

At least that's how it seems through the haze of a summer without
riding.

You could substitute a bunch of other conditions for "crud" here and the
result would be the same: Things go better if you stay committed to the
carve. The boards are stable enough so that you *can* stay committed;
however if you try to skid the tornsional stiffness can punish you.

This is IMHO how and why a number of Donek riders claim that "the board made
me a better rider". It rewards the behavior of staying on edge where you
might not otherwise.

This is whyI am so enamored with my Wide. It gave me the confidence to
stay on edge. And now that I spend a great deal of time in hardboots, I
don't have to make the mental adjustment when I do a day in softies. The
same bag of tricks works - really well. Yes, I have tooled around on other
boards (e.g., Supermodel 168) and I *did* have top make the mental
adjustment.

It's a tradeoff - something with more torsional flex behaves IMHO behaves
better when you butter the muffin, boardslide, or do any number of flatland
tricks - or when you screw up your landing in the pipe, something I'm all
too familiar with. (Not that I get any real air in the pipe - I just wind
up pushing myself towards the center of the pipe and not landing on the wall
:|)

Mike T