more "universal" powder board

Old May 8th 04, 05:58 AM
Jason Watkins

Default more "universal" powder board

Sidecut: yes, I think so, although there's probably a fair bit of
banking going on. I was trying to figure this out whilst standing in
my kitchen the other day and I have to admit I'm not 100% sure what it
is which makes the thing turn. I know what it's not though ;-)

So as a beginner on hardboots, I've learned that projecting my weight
onto the nose of the board is key to making good skided turns of the
sort you might use in trees on firm snow. So I think there's a sort of
"happy" medium stiffness you need to get the turn right. If a board is
literally a noodle, you won't be able to pressure the nose very much,
it'll just bend. If a board was as stiff as titanium, you wouldn't be
able to really change pressure along the edge until your cg passed the
base of support and you literally fliped over the nose.

So getting to realistic board stiffnesses, I think there's a happy
medium that's soft enough to let you make a big difference in pressure
between the nose portion of the sidecut and the tail portion... but
still stiff enough that it doesn't just totally fold in one spot
uselessly. Controlled distributed pressure. Happy medium.

So my guess is axis, being a more carve targeted board, is perhaps
stiff enought that it's hard to get solid pressure along the nose...
it wants to either carve on the whole sidecut, or dig in at a point
where the edge starts and send you for a flip :P.

Maybe? Or maybe I'm spouting drek...

Next you'll tell me you carve in the trees .

And of course, powder turns are gonna be totally different... :P