Salomon Teneighty + S810 1080 bindings - Price in Meribel?

Old December 7th 04, 03:15 PM
NYGe

Default Salomon Teneighty + S810 1080 bindings - Price in Meribel?

Seriously considering purchasing some Salomon Teneightys + S810 1080
bindings. Ellis Brigham are quoting =A3390 (approx. =80540 based on
current exchange rate).

Any opinions on whether it would be cheaper to buy in resort -
Meribel in January?. Ballpark figures are fine.

Generally is stuff cheaper in resort?

We're not driving so won't have the chance to visit the hyper
markets I have heard mentioned.

Thanks for any advice
P=2Es. Any recommendations on places to eat and drink in Meribel?

Old December 7th 04, 04:02 PM
Rob White

Every year I eye up the gear on the resort and compare to what I've paid at
home, or compare at home to what I paid in resort. There's nothing much in
it, but for what its worth resort prices were a tad more than I paid for
three pairs of skis (no - not all for me) in Snow and Rock 12 months ago.

Rob
"NYGe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Seriously considering purchasing some Salomon Teneightys + S810 1080
bindings. Ellis Brigham are quoting £390 (approx. ?540 based on
current exchange rate).

Any opinions on whether it would be cheaper to buy in resort -
Meribel in January?. Ballpark figures are fine.

Generally is stuff cheaper in resort?

We're not driving so won't have the chance to visit the hyper
markets I have heard mentioned.

Thanks for any advice
P.s. Any recommendations on places to eat and drink in Meribel?

Old December 7th 04, 05:12 PM
Iain Miller

"NYGe" wrote in message

oups.com...
Seriously considering purchasing some Salomon Teneightys + S810 1080
bindings. Ellis Brigham are quoting £390 (approx. ?540 based on
current exchange rate).

Any opinions on whether it would be cheaper to buy in resort - Meribel in

January?. Ballpark figures are fine.

Generally is stuff cheaper in resort?

We're not driving so won't have the chance to visit the hyper markets I

have heard mentioned.

Thanks for any advice

Unless you are planning to ski at least two or three weeks a year for the
next 3 years then just rent 'em and avoid having to cart the damn things
about, get the latest model every year and be able to try other skis if the
conditions suit something else. When weighing up the cost don't forget to
add in a decent skiibag or ski tube (unless you already own one) and factor
in servicing costs - probably twice a year.

Old December 7th 04, 08:04 PM
Joe Roach

"Iain Miller" wrote in message

"NYGe" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

I don't like carting skis around the airports but with our own skis we avoid
the first day scrums, know that our skis are well serviced and don't get any
nasty surprises. I bought my present skis in March 2004 at a 50% discount,
skied for two weeks at Easter and by the end of the 2005 season, I'll be
quids in but the main reason I buy is that you can get some real crap in the
hire shops and I don't want to spend any of my holiday sorting it out.

Joe

Old December 7th 04, 10:47 PM
Iain Campbell

NYGe wrote:

Seriously considering purchasing some Salomon Teneightys + S810 1080
bindings. Ellis Brigham are quoting £390 (approx. €540 based on
current exchange rate).

Any opinions on whether it would be cheaper to buy in resort -
Meribel in January?. Ballpark figures are fine.

Generally is stuff cheaper in resort?

We're not driving so won't have the chance to visit the hyper
markets I have heard mentioned.

Thanks for any advice
P.s. Any recommendations on places to eat and drink in Meribel?

Last time I was there, Meribel did seem cheaper. But that was a couple
of years ago. I but my new pair of Rossi B2's with bindings in a French
resort. Saved me £80 over UK prices. I was also driving so I knew I'd be
able to bring them back without any hassle. Dump them in the car and
forget about them until we got home! LOL!

As for eating in Meribel, find the Doron Pub (aka Le Pub). As you look
at it, you'll see steps to it's left taking you up to a green slope
leading down to the lift centre (saves you walking or waiting for the
Navette. The Rhodos I lift serves the green that leads back down to
it!), and to the right is an American style restaurant. That place is
pretty good. We ate there a few times. The Doron itself does some good
pub food, too.

As for anywhere else, I don't know. Inebriation or hangovers put paid to
any real gastronomic exploration!?
Old December 8th 04, 09:25 AM
Andy Turner

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:12:39 GMT, "Iain Miller" wrote:

"NYGe" wrote in message

roups.com...
[...]

And some airlines charge extra for the carriage of skis don't they?

You *do* save time in the resort though, having to get your kit - but
then generally it's evening time, not skiing time.

Personally I'd say that buying skis is daft if you're a beginner -
you'll either buy skis that are too fast/long/tricky for you, or
you'll buy some skis that you'll quickly outgrow.

andyt

Old December 8th 04, 09:29 AM
Ace

On 7 Dec 2004 08:15:44 -0800, "NYGe" wrote:

Seriously considering purchasing some Salomon Teneightys + S810 1080
bindings. Ellis Brigham are quoting £390 (approx. €540 based on
current exchange rate).

Sounds like a reasonable price, IMO. Their list price is, as far as I
can see, somewhere round about 450 Eu without bindings, so to beat
your price you'd need to be finding a special ofer of some sort, which
you could never rely on.

Any opinions on whether it would be cheaper to buy in resort -
Meribel in January?. Ballpark figures are fine.

Generally is stuff cheaper in resort?

I'd guess that current exchange rates make European resorts much more
expensive than they have been in recent years, so if you're converting
from sterling then quite probably not.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 8th 04, 11:31 AM
NYGe

Unless you are planning to ski at least two or three weeks a year for
the
next 3 years then just rent 'em and avoid having to cart the damn

things
about, get the latest model every year and be able to try other skis

if the
conditions suit something else. When weighing up the cost don't

forget to
add in a decent skiibag or ski tube (unless you already own one) and

factor
in servicing costs - probably twice a year.

If the plans come together I'm looking at three trips in the next 12
months, and (hopefully) twice a year at least after that. Having done
some calculations similar to Rob's, including factoring in servicing,
carriage and the chance of blowing an edge or ripping the base I'm
tending towards buying. It cost me =A390 to hire a pair of Pilot 10s in
La Plagne last year - lovely skis, though I probably didn't get the
best out of them.

Having talked further to the guy in Ellis Brigham, and based on the
type of skiing I do he's steering me towards an 'All Mountain'
ski such as the K2 Apache.

Must say I'm tempted to leave buying until the resort then rent on
the proviso that the ski shop knocks off the rental cost if I purchase
that week - it also gives me the chance to try out a number of
different skis.

On the plus side I already own a ski bag

Cheers for all the replies.

N=2E

P=2Es As noted elsewhere by another poster I'm having trouble with
this new Google Groups release as well!

Old December 8th 04, 11:37 AM
Iain Miller

Personally I'd say that buying skis is daft if you're a beginner -
you'll either buy skis that are too fast/long/tricky for you, or
you'll buy some skis that you'll quickly outgrow.

That's another good point - whatever level you are at, if you are still
developing your technique what's good for you this year may well not be up
to the job any more in 2 or 3 years time.

rgds

I.

Old December 8th 04, 11:40 AM
Iain Miller

Having talked further to the guy in Ellis Brigham, and based on the type of
skiing I do he's steering me towards an 'All Mountain' ski such as the K2
Apache.

Must say I'm tempted to leave buying until the resort then rent on the

proviso that the ski shop knocks off the rental cost if I purchase
that week

They should do that

- it also gives me the chance to try out a number of different skis.

WHich is a sound plan IMO.

On the plus side I already own a ski bag

Yes, but is it in "this year's colours" ?!?!?

I.