Cross training for nordic skiing

Old August 16th 04, 04:10 AM
Mickey D.

Default Cross training for nordic skiing

I'm interested in what the opinions of the group members are with regard to
biking (road or mountain) vs. running as cross training for nordic skiing.
When I was bike racing, I found that running seemed to have very little
cross over effect, though interestingly biking seemed to help my running a
lot (maybe because I am a better natural runner?). In the same manner, do
you find biking a better cross training activity, or do you find running to
help your xc skiing more?

Mike

Old August 16th 04, 01:24 PM
Chris Pella

"Mickey D." wrote in message ...
I'm interested in what the opinions of the group members are with regard to
biking (road or mountain) vs. running as cross training for nordic skiing.
When I was bike racing, I found that running seemed to have very little
cross over effect, though interestingly biking seemed to help my running a
lot (maybe because I am a better natural runner?). In the same manner, do
you find biking a better cross training activity, or do you find running to
help your xc skiing more?

I think running is more efficient in terms of time and also for many
people
it is easier to get your heart rate up to 90-95% MHR for
high-intensity intervals. I know I can't do that bicycling. On the
other hand, cycling is probably better for doing long distance
workouts because it is easy on your knees. Probably a mix is a good
idea for injury prevention since running too much (especially on hard
surfaces) probably causes more overuse injuries than any other sport.
I started doing a combination of cycling, running, kayaking and roller
skiing this year and find it's alot more fun than just doing one thing
every day. That's the beauty of ski training... you aren't limited to
one activity.

Mike

Old August 16th 04, 03:02 PM
Jeff Potter

"Mickey D." wrote in message ...
I'm interested in what the opinions of the group members are with regard to
biking (road or mountain) vs. running as cross training for nordic skiing.

[ ]

For me, they're both very close. XC ski races are often longer than
typical running races. Unless you're a marathon runner. Cycling hurts
you for several hours at a time so it's closer to the suffering
involved in long XC events.

I would think that hilly trail running would be GREAT for classic
training.

Cycling and speed-skating cross over a lot---so maybe cycling works
better with ski-skating. But I've always found cycling to be good with
classic also.

If you're thinking strictly non-ski-types of cross training, I'd
always be sure to toss in lots of PADDLING so as to not neglect the
upper body. ---Canoe racing/training also lasts similar amounts of
time compared to XC events and so is good in that regard.

I've known good runners who did well at XC, but it seems like I've
known more good cyclists who do well at XC.

A summer spent running, riding and paddling is a great way to prepare
for XC.

Switch to rollerskiing in the fall and you're in like Flynn.

--JP
Old August 16th 04, 05:09 PM
Chris Cline

--- "Mickey D." wrote:

I'm interested in what the opinions of the group
members are with regard to
biking (road or mountain) vs. running as cross
training for nordic skiing.
When I was bike racing, I found that running seemed
to have very little
cross over effect, though interestingly biking
seemed to help my running a
lot (maybe because I am a better natural runner?).
In the same manner, do
you find biking a better cross training activity, or
do you find running to
help your xc skiing more?

Mike

Hi Mike-
I don't think it's an easy "either-or" answer for
biking vs. running. I think running is good as a base
because it's a weight-bearing activity similar to XC
skiing, and involves a more ski-specific motion. And
when combined with hiking and activities such as
ski-walking and hiking with poles, running/hiking can
be a very ski-specific mode of training.

However, I'm finding that *just* running does not do
very much for strength and power, which is also
essential to XC skiing (at least for racing). I'm
finding that biking, with hill climbs, sprints among
friends, etc., is more of a natural training mode for
those types of strength. Of course, you could do
things like track workouts and other ski-specific
dryland workouts to add strength/power to a running
training program.

And then, of course, *neither* one does much for your
upper body...

Chris

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Old August 17th 04, 03:30 AM
Marsh Jones

Chris Cline wrote:
--- "Mickey D." wrote:

[...]

go paddle a marathon canoe or fast kayak - or even row. Although I
think Jay swears by raking leaves:-)

Marsh
Old August 17th 04, 12:56 PM
Darrel Newman

I'm more of a recreational X-C skier but I do get out 25 times each year.
For the past three summers I've been doing a lot of hiking with trekking
poles to save my knees on the downhills. I find that I can speed up my
uphills with them and this activity seem keep my shoulders strong for
poling in the winter.

"Chris Cline" wrote in message
o.com...

Old August 18th 04, 12:05 AM
32 degrees

Here are my summer options Run 70%, rollerski 25%, run with poles 5%.
The running with poles is saved for cold, rainy days when rollerskiing is
out the question and I need an upper body workout - it also saves the legs
from lots of pounding and work.

JK
Used to do tons of mtn and road biking but then I had 3 kids and now I'm
broke and can't maintain the bikes.

. cable.rogers.com...

Old August 18th 04, 03:41 AM
SUSAN BURAK

How about rock climbing and alpine mountain climbing for strength and
endurance?
I use these as a bi or tri monthly 2-4 day "workout".
Sue
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546

Old August 18th 04, 08:37 AM
Terje Mathisen

SUSAN BURAK wrote:

How about rock climbing and alpine mountain climbing for strength and
endurance?
I use these as a bi or tri monthly 2-4 day "workout".

I believe rock climbing as strength training can indeed help:

3 years ago I was 44, which meant that I was the oldest in my age group
(40-44) in orienteering. That winter I had worked out at an indoor
climbing gym about twice a week, gradually getting closer to my old form
(I used to climb up to 5.12 in Yosemite back in the 1980'ies).

During the spring/summer/fall orienteering season, all that lower
leg/ankle/foot strength training seemed to result in much better cross
country running speed, with a very enjoyable bounce in my step.

The result was my best season ever, winning the national and county
championships in my age group, as well as more than half of the
remaining 40+ events I started in.

During the following years I haven't been able to get those regular
climbing workouts, and my broken field running form has detoriated. :-(

Terje

--
-
Old August 18th 04, 04:35 PM
SUSAN BURAK

Thanks Terje. Perhaps I will have my best season ever..
I've noticed a substantial improvement in upper body strength this summer
season, more so than the usual 2-3 days a week in the gym that I have done
in the past. This new strength translates well into both skating and classic
poling. Hiking uphill in the Sierra with a heavy pack for hours is alot
more fun than the squat rack or leg press, though I hope I am not fooling
myself.
Sue

[...]

Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Head Lamp for Night Cross Country Skiing Bill Cotton Nordic Skiing 0 February 3rd 04 11:17 PM
Cross Country skiing in Norway Wout Davidse Nordic Skiing 1 January 4th 04 08:05 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Cross Country Skiing - where to go? Alan Nordic Skiing 2 November 20th 03 08:21 PM