Salomon Crossmax 8 pilot or rossignol B2

Old August 26th 04, 02:19 AM
Michele Wojtan

Default Salomon Crossmax 8 pilot or rossignol B2

Does anyone have any comments on either of these skis for an intermediate
moving to lower level expert skier (primarily east coast, occasional trip
out west).
thanks
wojo

Old August 26th 04, 02:51 PM
nielsdt

Last Spring I bought B2s to replace my Bandit Xs, which I was fond of. I
was at Big Mountain, Montana, and we had a wintery day with fresh snow
followed by a warm sunny day of spring skiing, so I used them in a variety
of conditions. I was absolutely delighted with the skis. Since B2s are
fatter, I expected them to do well on powder (and they did), but I thought
they would be less agile on the groomed where the Bandits were strong. I
found them very quick and stable, with no loss of performance on groomed
snow. They were much better on crud than the narrower Bandits.

nielsdt

Old September 1st 04, 05:55 AM
Alan Baker

In article ,
"nielsdt" wrote:

Last Spring I bought B2s to replace my Bandit Xs, which I was fond of. I
was at Big Mountain, Montana, and we had a wintery day with fresh snow
followed by a warm sunny day of spring skiing, so I used them in a variety
of conditions. I was absolutely delighted with the skis. Since B2s are
fatter, I expected them to do well on powder (and they did), but I thought
they would be less agile on the groomed where the Bandits were strong. I
found them very quick and stable, with no loss of performance on groomed
snow. They were much better on crud than the narrower Bandits.

That sounds very much like my experience with my brother's Atomic
BetaRide 9.22s vs. my Salomon Crossmax 10 Pilots. His are wider and
hence I thought perhaps not as agile on the groomed, but I was wrong.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably by a ski with a slightly
wider waist, like the Atomic 9.22s, or from the sounds of it, like the
B2s

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old September 6th 04, 08:32 PM

How much does all the different engineering make a difference? The industry
seems to have a ski for almost any condition. I want a ski that I can take
anywhere. I consider myself a decent skier and want to improve on moguls as
well as do more off-piste skiing.

Old September 7th 04, 12:01 AM
Alan Baker

In article HP3%c.27086$Ka6.8936@okepread03, "l"
wrote:

How much does all the different engineering make a difference? The industry
seems to have a ski for almost any condition. I want a ski that I can take
anywhere. I consider myself a decent skier and want to improve on moguls as
well as do more off-piste skiing.

I'd say that there's really quite a lot of difference. I'm originally
from back east (southern Ontario) and I thought that I'd like a ski that
was a little more oriented to the groomed and racing (I'm an ex-junior
racer, too). But the Crossmax 10 has sort of turned out to be a little
too narrowly focused.

On the other hand, my brother's Atomic 9.22 are good to excellent
everywhere I've tried them. They range more to the excellent in softer
snow and crud, but they're good on the groomed, and because they're
quite light, really good in the moguls too.

So based on them, I'm a convert to the idea of an "all-mountain" ski,
and I'll be trying to add something similar to my quiver this season.

Old September 7th 04, 12:59 AM
Mary Malmros

l wrote:

How much does all the different engineering make a difference? The industry
seems to have a ski for almost any condition. I want a ski that I can take
anywhere. I consider myself a decent skier and want to improve on moguls as
well as do more off-piste skiing.

I'm a kayaker when I'm not skiing, and a lot of times people tell me
that they want a boat that they can take anywhere. The problem, of
course, is that you're making compromises, so I think it's a good idea
to think about where you plan to spend most of your time. I think it's
less true of skis, but in the kayak world, boats that do an okay job of
everything tend to do nothing really well.

That said, my personal favorite go-nearly-anywhere ski is the Atomic
BetaRace 9.12, which I don't think is manufactured anymore, but if you
wanted 'em, you could find 'em used easily enough. It was their slalom
race ski in '02. And, yes, it is a compromise. It's certainly quick
enough -- that's where it excels -- and it's got a fast base, so when
you point 'em down the hill, they'll go like a bat. It's probably
stiffer than most folks would really like for a mogul ski, but I don't
know from moguls. I found that they did fine in crud and ungroomed (I
won't say powder, I haven't taken them in anything authentic or deep)
once I bought a basic clue. But for serious "off-piste" stuff, I dunno.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.