DIY Rollerskis from NordicPro website

Old March 12th 04, 09:11 PM
Jeff Potter

Default DIY Rollerskis from NordicPro website

Someone provided this link recently:

http://www.skiroller.de/pl_ersatzteile.html

It looks cool and I emailed the contact person.

I don't know German very well.

It looks like you can compile a cheap set of rollerskis just from the
parts shown. True?

I see that wheels are 17 euros...or is that 17x4? Beams are 22.50...or
is that 22.50x2? Can someone determine what a whole set's worth of parts
would actually cost here, ballpark?

Is there a clutch offered in all this?

They offer complete classic rollerskis for 178euro...but it looks like
maybe bindings are included.

Ya know there's a GORGEOUS website (for an Other Interest of mine) for
DIY kit knives that are just a leetle nicer than usual:
http://knifekits.com. Looks like you pay $60 for the parts to make a
$200 knife. Cool...

--

Jeff Potter
****

... offering Vordenberg's XC ski tales in "Momentum"! ...
... "The Recumbent Bicycle": the only book about these bikes! ...
... Rudloe's "Potluck": true-life story of workingclass smuggling! ...

... with radical novels coming up via LiteraryRevolution.com! ...
... music! ... articles! ... travel forums! ... WOW! 800-763-6923

Old March 13th 04, 02:37 PM
Mark Moore

Jeff Potter wrote in message ...
[...]

Check out this site again:
http://jesenik.com/rollerski_en/onas.php

They sell individual parts, and you COULD put a pair
together...although I did the math and it really wasn't worth it.

Now, this is my fourth or fifth post about these rollerskis, so PLEASE
believe me that I am NOT affiliated with the site in any way. I just
think these are a good rollerski for a good price.

Will the masses swamp them with orders? Probably not. There are still
a lot of folks who want to "touch and feel" a product before they
buy...and that's fine. I will admit that before I ordered I asked a
lot of questions. But, in all honesty, an aluminum shaft can only be
crafted a certain way. The only difference between these rollerskis,
the Elpex and Swenor is that: The Elpex are a tad shorter and have mud
guards, and the Swenors have a ever-so-slight bend at each end of the
shaft (I assume to lower the center of gravity). I've skiied on all
three, and I really can't tell a difference (given if they are set up
all the same).

I don't blame ski shops for pricing the rollerskis the way they do.
Given the exchange rate, carrying charge of inventory, shipping,
advertising and floor space (or catalog space)...it all adds up and
shops have to AT LEAST break even.

I shop local whenever possible, but I am always interested in trying
new products. And because rollerskiing has become more of a part of my
workout schedule, I needed another pair of rollerskis at a more
affordable price (for me). These rollerskis fit the bill.

Mark Moore
Old March 13th 04, 04:29 PM
Jeff Potter

They look fine. Great prices.

I'm more interested in anyone who knows German to deal with that German site and its piecemeal option. Do you get
SETS of wheels, beams, axles, etc., for these prices? Or individual parts?

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 13th 04, 05:06 PM
Jeff Potter

Like Serge and some others here seem to think, I also think that rollerskis
should use some kind of interchangeable parts with the inline skate trade.

Is there a cheap source for, say, rubber wheels 70mmx35mm? --That's about
what Jesenik and others seem to use for classic.

Skating seems easier to solve, with a, say, 100mm inline wheel.

Mike Muha mentioned to me that V2 Aero 150 wheels seem to be able to be
able to be replaced by wheelchair front wheels...but are those inflatable?
Are they much cheaper? Maybe for some road conditions inflatability isn't
that important.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 13th 04, 07:54 PM
Jeff Potter

Sadly the guy at this website says he doesn't ship to the U.S.

I wonder why that would be? If the customer pays, why wouldn't a biz ship
something anywhere?

http://www.skiroller.de/pl_ersatzteile.html

I don't recall who first suggested this source. It looked good. Anyone buy
from them before? From Canada or elsewhere in Europe? Oh well.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 14th 04, 03:10 PM
Serge

I ordered from them - beams, fenders, axles and Salomon Pilot -
all came to 84EUR (around $100).
You have to pay at least $80 for Pilot alone in US.

When I talked to Gunther, he agreed to ship to USA, but the custom was
kind of high. So they shipped to my brother in Berlin on my request.
I am still waiting for it (my brother shipped it slow speed).
I will report upon arrival.

I was happy with my Eagles but found absence of fenders rather
inconvenient.
Eagles do sell snap-on fenders, but I did not like the idea.
Also NordicPro is longer (610mm vs. 530mm)
Old March 14th 04, 04:36 PM
Jeff Potter

Serge wrote:

I ordered from them - beams, fenders, axles and Salomon Pilot -
all came to 84EUR (around $100).
You have to pay at least $80 for Pilot alone in US.

When I talked to Gunther, he agreed to ship to USA, but the custom was
kind of high.

I would pay that extra of course. I wonder how much it adds.

Also, do you know enough German to read the website and answer my first
question? Is 17 euros for one wheel or a whole set? 23 euros for one beam
or two? 5 euros for one axle or four?

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 14th 04, 07:12 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Did he mention which Custom? As individuals, we get at least $400/yr,
if it hasn't been raised. I would also think they could be sent as
replacement parts, which back in the 80s used to skirt duties (at least
from Japan).

Gene

Old March 14th 04, 08:10 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:12:22 GMT, Gene Goldenfeld
wrote:

Did he mention which Custom? As individuals, we get at least $400/yr,
if it hasn't been raised.

I thought that was the amount you can bring into the country yourself
when travelling. Not what you have shipped to you.

JT
Old March 14th 04, 10:37 PM
Serge

Also, do you know enough German to read the website and answer my first
question? Is 17 euros for one wheel or a whole set? 23 euros for one beam
or two? 5 euros for one axle or four?

Jeff, here is Gunter's E-mail webmaster@ skiroller.de

Ask him all the questions, he speaks English. He is kind of cantankerous,
does not take credit cards and such.
I sent him "tellers check" and it worked.
Somebody on the board said tellers checks do not exist or something. Whatever.
I do what I do.

I provide information because I learned a lot on this board and want
to reciprocate.
Tellers checks do not exist?
Pay $400 by VISA for your V2-Jenex and be happy...

BTW wheels are always expensive ($17 apiece) that's why I didn't order
them - I have plenty.

I only told what I paid. If he sent ONE beam instead of TWO, I will
send him a dead cat (kidding). I specified 2 beams though.

You people do the math: 2 beams, 4 axles (+8 spacers), 4 fenders,
Salomon Pilot binding (set of two I presume) and shipping to Berlin.
Total=84EURO

Customs added like $40 but my brother needed to send me something else,
so we consolidated.