Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

Old November 26th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
AES

Default Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

If you whack your boots with your poles (whack the sides of the soles)
to knock snow off the bottom of the boot, my experience is that carbon
poles will rapidly fail, aluminum won't.

Hmmmmmmm....... that sounds pretty unreliable. Was this a while ago
(maybe material improvements have been made)?

I was using the NNN BC step-in bindings, raising each boot enough so
that when I whacked the boot to knock snow out of the toe pin area
before stepping into the binding, the basket would pass under the sole
and the pole itself would hit the side of the sole at a point an inch or
so above the basket.

The fiber poles didn't get "cut" -- they just gradually (but fairly
rapidly) disintegrated into a lot of parallel fibers, with no remaining
function as a tubular pole, for the first three or four inches above the
basket.

The local ski shop just advised me, "Yup ... don't do that".
Old November 26th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
lal_truckee

On 11/26/10 8:40 AM, AES wrote:

The fiber poles didn't get "cut" -- they just gradually (but fairly
rapidly) disintegrated into a lot of parallel fibers, with no remaining
function as a tubular pole, for the first three or four inches above the
basket.

The local ski shop just advised me, "Yup ... don't do that".

Related - my kid destroyed fiber poles in the same manner (except up
near the grip) hitting slalom gates with the poles.

For backcountry use I'd think the possibility of field repair of
aluminum poles using a whittled wood dowel insert and duct tape would be
a consideration.

There's also the interesting matter of the "better" aluminum alloys
breaking rather than bending, where the dirt cheap alloys bend
substantially and can be bent back.
Old January 21st 11, 07:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Dan

On 11/23/2010 7:10 PM, gr wrote:
Is carbon too fragile for backcountry skiing (ie; they break instead of
bend like aluminum)

Aluminum crimps. I'd think good carbon/boron/etc composite poles would
be MUCH better - any accident that would break them would also break
aluminum, and not necessarily vice versa.

Dan
Old January 21st 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Dan

On 11/24/2010 1:31 AM, Martin Thornquist wrote:
[ gr ]

Is carbon too fragile for backcountry skiing (ie; they break instead of
bend like aluminum)

I've broken aluminium poles (in two places at the same time, even -- I
hit a tree). I've now had Black Diamond's Pure Carbon poles for a
couple seasons, they're still fine, but I haven't really had any
accidents where they could have broken.

Carbon XC ski poles do break, you see pieces along the ski tracks
sometimes, but I suspect aluminium also would have broken in those
instances, or at least bent to unusability.

Martin

I still use bamboo (and have broken them, too).

Dan