Fines in France for not having driving licence

Old February 7th 04, 09:51 AM
Roger

Default Fines in France for not having driving licence

We're driving to the French Alps next week and due to the DVLA not
being able to return my partner's driving licence in time due to an
address change, she won't be able to take it with her.

I hear if you can't produce your licence if required you're fined on
the spot - anyone know how much?

I really don't want to have to drive it all myself and of all the
thousands of miles I've driven thru France I've never needed mine but
want to weigh up whether it's worth risking it.

cheers
Old February 9th 04, 07:17 AM
Nigel

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

Not sure about France but in Holland,Germany,Austria & probably most
of the rest of europe . You must have your Licence on you when you
drive .

If I remember rightly from when I used to live in Blighty (long time
ago now) it is actually a legal requirement to have your licence or
International Driver License,log book,MOT on you when you take your
car abroad. So weather your partner doesn't have her license back &
she is driving, she will be breaking the law !

In Germany if you are involved in an accident and cant produce your
put in the slammer until you can . I know this for a fact from
personal experience :-)

Goodluck

Nigel

Old February 9th 04, 08:45 AM
Simon Brown

Same in Switzerland, always have the papers with you.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old February 9th 04, 11:17 AM
David Off

Nigel wrote in message ...
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

Not sure about France but in Holland,Germany,Austria & probably most
of the rest of europe . You must have your Licence on you when you
drive .

In France you have to present your driving license to your local
police station if you don't have it with you. However I don't think
that will work with foreigners although the police are usually quite
polite.
Old February 9th 04, 11:22 AM
Steve Haigh

Nigel wrote:

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

In Germany if you are involved in an accident and cant produce your
put in the slammer until you can . I know this for a fact from
personal experience :-)

How can you produce your licence etc if you're locked up?

I'm picturing the scene from the Great Escape with Donald Pleasence
forging papers...
Old February 9th 04, 12:34 PM
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM)

Its none of the waste of time & resources softly softly approach you get
with the wooden tops in UK !
Most Euro countrys's you have to prove your ID and then they have to
establish it before they let you go!

Basically you have to get someone to put up bail (if you cant yourself)
& then report back with your docs ! It only applies to foreign drivers .

Nigel

Old February 10th 04, 01:18 PM
David Edwards

My advice to anyone driving in France is to carry some cash- say £300.00
because if you pick up one of the "on the spot fines" ( typically £60 to
£120) and you only have a credit card you are likely to be driven to a cash
machine and then left to make your way back to your car. If you weigh this
up it could be quite a proformance and very inconveinient. I dont know what
they would say about not having a licence with you but as long as you have
oter identification how bad could it get?
Take care and enjoy yourselves. David

Old February 10th 04, 01:29 PM
Ace

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:18:26 -0000, "David Edwards"
wrote:

My advice to anyone driving in France is to carry some cash- say £300.00
because if you pick up one of the "on the spot fines" ( typically £60 to
£120) and you only have a credit card you are likely to be driven to a cash
machine and then left to make your way back to your car. If you weigh this
up it could be quite a proformance and very inconveinient. I dont know what
they would say about not having a licence with you but as long as you have
oter identification how bad could it get?
Take care and enjoy yourselves. David

IME they tend to get you to drive to the atm in your own car,
following behind, while they hang on to your licence.

But yes, carrying enough cash money is a good idea.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 11th 04, 02:04 PM
Ollie Clark

Roger wrote:
We're driving to the French Alps next week and due to the DVLA not
being able to return my partner's driving licence in time due to an
address change, she won't be able to take it with her.

I hear if you can't produce your licence if required you're fined on
the spot - anyone know how much?

I really don't want to have to drive it all myself and of all the
thousands of miles I've driven thru France I've never needed mine but
want to weigh up whether it's worth risking it.

Last time I got stopped in France I'd (very stupidly) forgotten to take my
license. The police looked me up on a computer in their car, verified that
I did have a licence in England and let me off with a warning and told me
not to drive anymore. (There were other people in the car with their
license.)

That was a couple of years ago so attitudes may have changed. YMMV. It
doesn't half improve your French when you're trying to blag your way out
of a fine! ;-)

--
Ollie Clark - -
http://www.ollieclark.com/acronyms.html

Old February 11th 04, 04:52 PM
Steve Haigh

Ollie Clark wrote:

That was a couple of years ago so attitudes may have changed. YMMV. It
doesn't half improve your French when you're trying to blag your way out
of a fine! ;-)

A risky, but sometimes very effective strategy is to play dumb (comes
easily to me) and not speak any French. A friend who is bilingual in
French and English claims to always speak English to the Flics in the
hope that they will not be arsed to try and explain to him what he had
done wrong. I'd hesitate to say this was a good idea, but it has been
know to work.