Serre Chevalier - Villeneuve

Old November 4th 03, 09:18 PM
richie

Default Serre Chevalier - Villeneuve

Hi there,

Me and a group of friends are heading off to Villeneuve in Serre
Chavalier for the week after xmas this year and was wondering what it
was like out there. I've had a look at previous posts in here and have
seen various comments that Villeneuve is quite quiet compared to some
of the other villages/towns nearby.

It would be great to have some feedback on what this resort/town is
like. We'll be travelling by train to get to the resort is there
anything we should look out for? and what's the best way of getting
from the trainstation to Villeneuve? are there coaches or busses
there? or taxis? There's 7 of us going there.

Also can anyone recomend any good places to eat and drink or any
places that we should visit? Abosolutly anything on this place would
be great. We've had a look at a few of the main websites already.
We're going to be learning to snowboard and there's a couple of
beginner-- intermediate skiers in the party as well. Any
reccomendations?

Thanks alot in advance for any feedback and advice.

richie
Old November 5th 03, 01:03 PM
Arno FR

Hi Richie!

Here are some answers:
I'm french (sorry for this "english")

"richie" a écrit dans le message news:
Hi there,

Me and a group of friends are heading off to Villeneuve in Serre
Chavalier for the week after xmas this year and was wondering what it
was like out there. I've had a look at previous posts in here and have
seen various comments that Villeneuve is quite quiet compared to some
of the other villages/towns nearby.

That's right, villeneuve is a quiet village.
My preference : If you want to sea a beautiful
little village: Go to Saint Veran . (2040m high), check :
www.saintveran.com . Especially the village of Mollines and "le coin"
offers great slpoes and off pist.

It would be great to have some feedback on what this resort/town is
like. We'll be travelling by train to get to the resort is there
anything we should look out for? and what's the best way of getting
from the trainstation to Villeneuve? are there coaches or busses
there? or taxis? There's 7 of us going there.

For bus transfer, you must see with the tourism office at:

Also can anyone recomend any good places to eat and drink or any
places that we should visit? Abosolutly anything on this place would
be great. We've had a look at a few of the main websites already.
We're going to be learning to snowboard and there's a couple of
beginner-- intermediate skiers in the party as well. Any
reccomendations?

Serre Chevalier is a great resort for beginners and intermediate skiers.
You're also sure to find a sunny weather.
10 Yeard ago sunny weather was garantee with the skipass.
There are 300 sunny days per year in this region.

For more information about French Alps:

Arno

Old November 5th 03, 01:57 PM
Bob C

"richie" wrote in message
[...]

Great place to ski when the snow is good.

I guess the railway station you will be arriving in will be Briancon, I
don't know about public transport from the station, you could try asking the
Briancon tourist board.
The station is about 7 mile to Villeneuve and between a group of you I would
not think a taxi would be to expensive, I would book in advance.

There is a free ski bus that runs till about 5:30 pm between the lift
stations.
The Briancon lift station is about 3/4 mile from the railway; follow the
main road into town and turn left at the roundabout at the end of the road,
the lift station is then on your first right. You are meant to have a lift
pass to use this and though they rarely ask they might if you are carrying
luggage.
You can book lift passes in advance on line, probably worth it as it will
save queuing on the first day at a busy time of the year.

Can't help you with eating out/nightlife as I always stay in Briancon and
with a young family my idea of nightlife is usually resting with a few
beers.

If you are thinking of skischool I would recommend Bussoniere at Villeneuve
rather than ESF. The classes are smaller and ESF use the slopes above Frejus
which are the most queue ridden in the area as they are low capacity tows
with a lot of beginners falling off and blocking the lift for others.
Bussoniere either use the way in via Aravet or bus you directly to
Chantemerle which has lifts of greater capacity, again at this time of the
year booking skischool in advance is recommended as the classes may be full.

If the lifts are busy the quietest places are at the ends of the valley in
Briancon and Monetier.

If you are self catering the cheapest supermarket is down at the roundabout
on the way into Briancon and is open late (8pm) Saturdays but does not open
on a Sunday, don't know how easy it is to reach by public transport from
Villeneuve though

Hope this helps

Bob