where to get non steam iron?

Old January 7th 04, 03:44 AM
skategoat25

Default where to get non steam iron?

Same thing happened to me in university. I was without an iron for a couple
of years and used to stop at every garage sale I passed to find an old iron.
It took a while but I got one.

"Scott T. Lindner" wrote in message
Garage sales. I got mine for $1.

Those are the hard ones though. I used to have one that I bought that way
but it was "lost" when a roommate moved out.

Scott

Old January 7th 04, 02:58 PM
BoarderInVA

Skategate25,

Have you even tried it out before putting it down? There is a
difference between reality and theory! When you actually do it, even
when you are conservative with the wax (which you should be, cause
it's expensive), the foil slides and floats on top of the
melted/semi-fluid wax (in other words, the thin foil is actually
pretty tough and I have never poked any hole when waxing my Donek and
Ride boards). Unless you are really heavy handed, the edges will not
cause you any problem. Of course this is less ideal than a fancy
plastic iron, but then again I prefer not to load up my travel bag
with stuff that I can make do in a typical hotel.

"skategoat25" wrote in message ...
It's not ideal. Aluminum foil is thin and easily penetrated by scraping an
edge. Also, the foil will work itself into the steam holes so you will not
have a flat surface.

Try to find an old iron. Garage sales, Salvation Army, grandma's attic,
etc.

"Scott T. Lindner" wrote in message
Do what I do, use your current iron (steam or not doesn't matter).
What you need is a piece of aluminum foil big enough to wrap around
the whole ironing surface. Save your hard earned cash for a couple of
good beer bottles.

That's not a bad idea!

Scott

Old January 7th 04, 07:12 PM
Jason Watkins

I was given a Bakoda iron by a friend. I think they're about $35
retail. Before I was using a thrift store iron.

I think the $35 would probibly be worth it, unless you're really on a
couch surfer ramen noodle budget. It doesn't have a temperature
adjustor, which means I can just plug it in and 20 seconds later be
waxing, no fiddling or the like. Very convenient.
Old January 7th 04, 07:31 PM
Ace

I've been looking around to buy a non steam iron. I can't find one. I've
looked everywhere I can think of. Does anyone have any recommendations for
me to check out?

Check ebay as well if you're comfortable with that kind of thing.
Old January 8th 04, 01:58 AM
skategoat25

Okay, I get ya. You're talking about using the *hotel* iron. Well that's
different. Your strategy is sound.

Old January 11th 04, 01:35 AM
james woods

"Scott T. Lindner" wrote in message . ..
I've been looking around to buy a non steam iron. I can't find one. I've
looked everywhere I can think of. Does anyone have any recommendations for
me to check out?

Cheers,
Scott

Just use a steam iron and don't pour water in. I bought a new iron for
$8 at Best Buy and it works fine.
Old January 11th 04, 03:02 PM
Scott T. Lindner

Just use a steam iron and don't pour water in. I bought a new iron for
$8 at Best Buy and it works fine.

I've read on several articles about self waxing that it's bad to use irons
with steam holes in the base because it's a point where the wax can collect
and burn. If that's not true.. then I already have a steam iron that I
bought for waxing my board. I was just about to wax it and then read some
articles and found that several people say it's bad for this reason. So I
put the whole works on hold until I got the proper equipment.

Scott

Old January 11th 04, 11:46 PM
robbie

On 11 Jan 2004 23:16:04 GMT, Baka Dasai
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:02:44 GMT, Scott T. Lindner said (and I quote):
I've read on several articles about self waxing that it's bad to use irons
with steam holes in the base because it's a point where the wax can collect
and burn. If that's not true.. then I already have a steam iron that I
bought for waxing my board. I was just about to wax it and then read some
articles and found that several people say it's bad for this reason. So I
put the whole works on hold until I got the proper equipment.

I used a steam iron for years and wax never collected in the holes.
There were no problems at all.

I use the crayon method rather than the drip method, so there is very
little excess wax. It's conceivable that with the drip method you
might get problems with wax collecting in the holes.

The only thing that I've found about irons with holes in the base is
the following. If you let wax collect in the area of the heating
element, and the element gets covered with wax, it will burn out
prematurely.

I've had the same $5.99 iron from target for the last 7 years and
haven't had it burn out yet........

Just don't turn the iron so any wax has the opportunity to flow into
the holes. You can make sure the iron is angled properly even if
using the drip method. Always make sure the base of the iron is
facing/angled towards the ground when dripping wax.
Old January 12th 04, 12:26 PM
Scott T. Lindner

I used a steam iron for years and wax never collected in the holes.
There were no problems at all.

BTW, thanks everyone for the open discussion on this topic.

I use the crayon method rather than the drip method, so there is very
little excess wax. It's conceivable that with the drip method you
might get problems with wax collecting in the holes.

I've read about problems using the crayon method as well but I don't recall
the details anymore. If I find it, I'll post it.

Scott