Cinch / Flow users: Stepping in on hills???

Old February 14th 06, 03:24 PM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Default Cinch / Flow users: Stepping in on hills???

I'm a brand new user to the K2 Cinch binding. I'm also a relatively new boarder.

The Cinch has just been an awsome, fast binding to get in an out of without the requirement of sitting down and strapping in. However...

I'm still having fits strapping in on less-than-flat terrain. This is only a problem for me at the top of a limited number of lifts.
I've begun working on a technique. Instead of fighting to keep the board motionless, I'm trying to slide sideways while working the highback. I'm getting better, but having a ton of trouble controlling the board while positioning my foot, reaching down and securing the highback.

How do you regular Flow and Cinch riders do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 15th 06, 12:43 AM

speede541 ) writes:
How do you regular Flow and Cinch riders do it? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

WIth either my freeride/flows or carving board/plates I line up the board
perpendicular to the hill toeside pointing downhill, dig the downhill edge
in to keep it still, step in/on and close it up and go.

Steve.
Old February 15th 06, 01:01 AM

Hmm, interesting....
I use regular strap bindings, and never sit down to strap in. If the
hill is really steep, like something I hiked to get up, with super soft
snow, I'll sit.
Face downhill, dig heels of board into hill, now board is flat, step
in front first, then rear.
What's the big deal?

Old February 15th 06, 01:47 AM

I usually face up the mountain and dig the frontside into the snow while
keeping the balance by holding to the ground with the opposite side hand
(left binding open - right hand). Then you step into the binding from the
top and close it down. Voila! That way you don't have to sit down and it
works on pretty much any steepness.

Or put the foot into the binding before the end of the lift. That way you
only have to close the highback instead of fiddeling the boot into the
binding, too. Another advantage of this "technique" is, that you have more
control exiting the lift.

Greets,
Saim

--
speede541

Old February 15th 06, 02:14 AM

Now it gets interesting!
3 replies, 3 different techniques for NOT sitting down and strapping
in.
I wonder if different stances influence our strapping in styles. I
mostly run 27/7.

Old February 15th 06, 08:27 AM

LeeD wrote:
Now it gets interesting!
3 replies, 3 different techniques for NOT sitting down and strapping
in.
I wonder if different stances influence our strapping in styles. I
mostly run 27/7.

In my old Burton SI's I mostly used to stand facing uphill and dig my
heel egde in. On very steep slopes, I faced uphill with my hands on the
floor and my toe edge dug in. Anything is easier than sitting down with
these bindings because you have to put some weight behind your foot when
clipping in.

The other method I used was to just clip in while moving. I used this
quite a lot to get off chairlifts without stopping at all.

As for stance. I change between around 15/9 and 6/-3 depending on what
I'm doing.

Octes
Old February 15th 06, 11:28 AM

"LeeD" ) writes:
Hmm, interesting....
I use regular strap bindings, and never sit down to strap in. If the
hill is really steep, like something I hiked to get up, with super soft
snow, I'll sit.
Face downhill, dig heels of board into hill, now board is flat, step
in front first, then rear.
What's the big deal?

Unlike strap bindings it helps to have your weight forward instead of back
against the highback to close up the binding.

I don't think angles would have much of an impact (15, -5 on FR and
55/50 on carving) compared to binding style.

They all work but for me the advantage for toeside downhill is that it
keeps the weight off the highback while you are pushing it up. With
heelside down there is the potential for your weight to shift onto your
toes while pushing the highback foreward which may release your edge
prematurely and away you go!

And if you are on firm snow base (aka ice), its harder to dig in the toeside
uphill enough to keep the board still.

Try both standup methods and choose which one works for you.

Steve.

Old February 15th 06, 06:18 PM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD
Now it gets interesting!
3 replies, 3 different techniques for NOT sitting down and strapping
in.
Yes, quite interesting.

I did try digging the heel-side edge into the snow. I have a little trouble maintaining balance, but as soon as I begin sliding my foot into the binding, the motion and the pressure I place on that side of the board usually breaks me free and gets me sliding fakie down the hill.

But reading all of your replies, I'm convinced I just need some time and practice. I'll be sure to give the toe-side edge a whirl, as well. I do have an easier time holding still in that orientation.

Old February 16th 06, 07:04 PM

When riding Flow, I always got on my knees w/ board perpendicular to
the hill below me. On knees it's easy to push feet into foot strap.
Pulling hi-back up while sitting is tough.