super cheap homemade snowboard

Old November 15th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Beloved Leader

Default super cheap homemade snowboard

Beloved Leader wrote:
... I immediately persued the notion of doing it myself. Not only
that, but once I had the carburetor off, I found that the source of the
leak was not a bad intake manifold gasket, but someone much less
expensive and easier to fix.

Pursued.... something much less expensive....

... eighth grad shop, so it has been done.

Grade....

Old November 16th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jrobb

Beloved Leader wrote:
.

To the OP: please post pictures when you are done. Now I have to
contemplate building a longboard (skate, not surf).

Best wishes to all. Thanks for writing.

I saw a slick longboard the other day... it was an old waterski with
skateboard trucks on it. It had large diam wheels. 4" or so. Looked
fun but maybe too narrow. I'd have to ride it to see.

Old November 16th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Beloved Leader

Jrobb wrote:
I saw a slick longboard the other day... it was an old waterski ....

I hadn't thought of that. I see those thrown out from time to time too.
I have lots of surplus trucks, just not a board.

Thanks for the tip.

Old November 21st 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote in message
oups.com...
Im looking into making a really cheap snowboard. Would it work to steam
bend a piece of 1/2" plywood, coat it with polyurethan, and glue a
piece of formica to the bottom? I already have all these materials,
plus a pair of bindings. Any thoughts?

Spend a few dollars at a thrift shop or garage sale?
Why re-invent the wheel?

Bob

Old November 22nd 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Im looking into making a really cheap snowboard. Would it work to steam
bend a piece of 1/2" plywood, coat it with polyurethan, and glue a
piece of formica to the bottom? I already have all these materials,
plus a pair of bindings. Any thoughts?

Spend a few dollars at a thrift shop or garage sale?
Why re-invent the wheel?

Bob

^read the above posts

Old November 22nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Im looking into making a really cheap snowboard. Would it work to

steam
bend a piece of 1/2" plywood, coat it with polyurethan, and glue a
piece of formica to the bottom? I already have all these materials,
plus a pair of bindings. Any thoughts?

Spend a few dollars at a thrift shop or garage sale?
Why re-invent the wheel?

Bob

^read the above posts

I would still recommend just buying a used one. It would be cheaper,
and give you a better idea of what a snowboard does. After learning
to use it, then build something if the desire remains. At that point, you
might actually have some ideas about how to design it to work. Who
knows, you might even improve on things.

I don't know if you can get enough bend in 1/2" ply by steaming. I doubt
if formica will slide very well on varying snow, or hold wax.

I paid $20 for a board posted on craigslist that I am now using for
all my riding. I see boards for anywhere from $5 and up at thrift
shops. The danger is that if you get a real board, you have a severe
risk of getting hooked on a new sport.

Bob

Bob

Old November 23rd 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I know i can get a really cheap snowboard, but I would rather make it.
I have used a real snowboard plenty of times, so I know how they work

Old November 27th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jrobb

Check out Grafsnowboards here at
http://www.grafsnowboards.com/index.php?url=Home

Lots of info on how to make one, probably more info than you need but
they also list suppliers of all materials and some members in the forum
area are selling surplus supplies...edges, inserts, base materialr for
cheap too.
see here http://www.grafsnowboards.com/phpbb2/index.php