best digital camera for skiing?

Old January 14th 04, 03:46 PM
F. Plant

"James Bassuk" wrote in message
. washington.edu...
it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

As mentioned dpreview is a great place to start. Something to also consider
is the quality of video clip it does. A good resolution clip is a great way
to improve someones skiing. Also consider battery life and switching
batteries in the cold. I've got a Optio s that I intend to take out, so no
cold weather input yet. Its video is not great but it is small and will
always have that going for it even in a few years when its technically
obsolete.

F. Plant

Old January 14th 04, 04:37 PM
MoonMan

F. Plant wrote:
"James Bassuk" wrote in message
. washington.edu...
it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough
to fit into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

As mentioned dpreview is a great place to start. Something to also
consider is the quality of video clip it does. A good resolution
clip is a great way to improve someones skiing. Also consider
battery life and switching batteries in the cold. I've got a Optio s
that I intend to take out, so no cold weather input yet. Its video is
not great but it is small and will always have that going for it even
in a few years when its technically obsolete.

I've got an Optio S, took it to Les 2 Alpes at new year, Didn't seem to have
too much trouble with batteries. The images where great, I'd post them but
there wasn't enough powder to compete with Astro

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 15th 04, 02:56 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Chester Bullock wrote:
My Olympus D-490Zoom survived a good tumble down North Pole at A-Basin.
Batteries went flying, but everything dried out and now my
step-daughter uses the camera since I got my G5...

Don't you just love that UNIX based operating system? I would have gotten
a G5 if they put them in lap tops.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 15th 04, 02:54 PM
Chester Bullock

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
Chester Bullock wrote:

My Olympus D-490Zoom survived a good tumble down North Pole at A-Basin.
Batteries went flying, but everything dried out and now my
step-daughter uses the camera since I got my G5...

Don't you just love that UNIX based operating system? I would have gotten
a G5 if they put them in lap tops.

Sorry, should have been more specific. My Canon Powershot G5. I haven't
used a Mac since I was able to consistently crash them trying to teach
an Internet class when I lived in Summit County. But yes, I like Unix
based systems.
----------------------
Chester

A man who lives in a glass house should change in the basement.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:05 PM
Greg Hilton

James Bassuk wrote in
. washington.edu:

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to

fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

I'd recommend the Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400)

Here are some pics taken by a friends Ixus 400 in November 2003. some of
these pics were taken with an Ixus 1 and some with an Ixus 2.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102843534

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102824417

Old January 28th 04, 03:34 PM
Chuck

Greg Hilton wrote in
:

James Bassuk wrote in
. washington.edu:

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to

fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

I'd recommend the Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400)

Here are some pics taken by a friends Ixus 400 in November 2003. some
of these pics were taken with an Ixus 1 and some with an Ixus 2.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102843534

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102824417

Tried to view the pics but got the following error:

"A problem has been detected.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in."

I think you need to "invite" us to see the pics.
--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email

Old January 28th 04, 07:17 PM
Greg Hilton

Tried to view the pics but got the following error:

"A problem has been detected.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in."

Do these links work?

http://community.webshots.com/album/102843534QQtuAl
http://community.webshots.com/album/102824417qDewYW

Old January 29th 04, 02:39 AM
AstroPax

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:17:03 CST, Greg Hilton wrote:

Do these links work?

http://community.webshots.com/album/102843534QQtuAl
http://community.webshots.com/album/102824417qDewYW

Yup, that works.

BTW, nice shots.

Not bad for a Canon P&S.

-Astro

University Project - Camera Goggles ardgower General 0 February 10th 05 11:44 PM
best camera and camcorder for skiing? peter Alpine Skiing 41 January 4th 05 01:06 AM
Helmet Camera KentB Alpine Skiing 4 December 31st 04 03:49 PM
using digital camera on the mountain Dmitry Snowboarding 14 March 4th 04 03:07 AM
best digital camera for skiing? James Bassuk Alpine Skiing 55 January 29th 04 02:39 AM