What's better Gore or Okemo ?

Old January 3rd 05, 04:17 PM
Ron - NY

Default What's better Gore or Okemo ?

These are 2 places I've never been to but are on my list of places to check
out this year . Just looking to get a basic idea of which is
bigger,better,cheaper,more challenging etc , I usually like to stay on the
mountain so I don't care too much about the general area .
Thanks in advance
Ron

Old January 3rd 05, 04:31 PM
Dick Gozinya

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:17:41 -0500, "Ron - NY"
wrote:

These are 2 places I've never been to but are on my list of places to check
out this year . Just looking to get a basic idea of which is
bigger,better,cheaper,more challenging etc , I usually like to stay on the
mountain so I don't care too much about the general area .
Thanks in advance
Ron

Okemo is cheaper than Gore, but it depends on if you want
ski in/out or not. Jackson's accommodations are nice, and
everything is pretty much in one building. Okemo has many
different options in accommodations, and not all have a
swimming pool/hot tub, or access to them. Now to the skiing,
Okemo has more runs, and is easier to navigate, having said
this Gore has some excellent double blacks as well. Your
lift ticket gives you access to both mountains, and it is
easy to get from one side to the other.

"I think that gay marriage should be between a man and a woman." -Arnold Schwarzenegger, during the California recall campaign
Old January 3rd 05, 04:57 PM
Jon C

Ron - NY wrote:
These are 2 places I've never been to but are on my list of places to check
out this year . Just looking to get a basic idea of which is
bigger,better,cheaper,more challenging etc , I usually like to stay on the
mountain so I don't care too much about the general area .
Thanks in advance
Ron

I really like Gore. Good glades and I really like the top half of the
mountain, which you can ski on all day and get some great variation in
the trails. The glades on the lower half are lots of fun and very long,
too.
Old January 3rd 05, 10:48 PM
VtSkier

Ron - NY wrote:
These are 2 places I've never been to but are on my list of places to check
out this year . Just looking to get a basic idea of which is
bigger,better,cheaper,more challenging etc , I usually like to stay on the
mountain so I don't care too much about the general area .
Thanks in advance
Ron

I know that Okemo is a damn fine place to ski. Actually unless you rent
a condo on the mountain, there aren't any hotels, etc. on mountain and
so you would stay in the village.

Gore, I've heard, is much more challenging (I'm a Killington skier and
we understand that Okemo is an Indian word for "flat mountain") but
don't take my word for it. You question will get more responses.

VtSkier
Old January 3rd 05, 10:50 PM
VtSkier

wrote:

[...]

Hunh? Since when?

VtSkier

Old January 3rd 05, 10:59 PM
Dick Gozinya

wrote:

[...]

since last year when I was there in March for a week

Old January 3rd 05, 11:43 PM
VtSkier

wrote:

[...]

Uhm, Dick
I think we may be talking about different "Gore's" here. Jackson Gore is
most certainly part of Okemo and just as certainly your Okemo ticket
will work. The clue here is your statement of, "get from one side to the
other."

I believe the question is which area has the better skiing, Okemo
Mountain Ski Area in Ludlow, Vermont or Gore Mountain Ski Area in North
Creek, New York. I tried to answer this question, always assuming that
Jackson Gore is part of Okemo.

VtSkier

Old January 4th 05, 06:36 PM
BREWERPAUL

Never been to Okemo, but I LOVE Gore. Terrific variety of trails, plenty of
lifts, and beautiful Adirondack scenery.

******************************
Got wood?
Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair
prices...http://www.Busmanwhistles.com

Old January 4th 05, 08:45 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:48:48 -0500, someone wrote:

I know that Okemo is a damn fine place to ski. Actually unless you rent
a condo on the mountain, there aren't any hotels, etc. on mountain and
so you would stay in the village.

Gore, I've heard, is much more challenging (I'm a Killington skier and
we understand that Okemo is an Indian word for "flat mountain") but
don't take my word for it. You question will get more responses.

Its been a few years since I was at either.
My impression at the time- both good for intermediates.

I took the kids to Okemo, lots of groomed cruiser runs.
Tons of condos at the base area,
and more at various places up the mountain.
But this was all before the Jackson Gore expansion

Gore if I recall, the "good stuff" was at the upper left - relatively
small part of the total vertical. I used to ski there decades ago
when I lived in NY state, and hated the flats between various parts of
the mmountain. Is it still like that?

-v.

Okemo Vermont Robert Alpine Skiing 6 January 31st 04 06:50 PM
Okemo? Robert Alpine Skiing 1 December 20th 03 11:15 AM
Gore may open this weekend Wai Chan General 0 November 11th 03 03:17 PM
Gore may open this weekend Wai Chan Alpine Skiing 0 November 11th 03 03:17 PM
Okemo Questions Jack Nixon Alpine Skiing 6 October 31st 03 01:20 AM