Any glacier resorts close to Turin - plus tips for boots for Snowboard touring due to fire!!!

Old November 13th 03, 07:58 AM
WeatherCam

Default Any glacier resorts close to Turin - plus tips for boots for Snowboard touring due to fire!!!

Other half wants to do a long weekend 18 - 22 Dec flying to Turin - would
like to opt for a location with at least a glacier that will have some snow
should conditions be dire nearer the time - and obviously not too far -
still don't know whether we will hire a car - I know Claviere / Briancon /
Serre / Galibier / La Grave Very well as I tour all around that part - so
would like to consider Alagana - but lifts might not be open - or other
resorts to the North / Mont Blanc if not too far.........

Second question, fire in August destroyed all our winter toys - harnesses /
rope boards boots etc - so currently looking around and want to determine a
touring setup for snowboard - in the past used K2 & Clickers but nigh on
impossible to buy now in the UK - we have been discussing plate bindings and
ski touring boots so we can then use small skis and skins instead of
shoes..... any advice welcome

Regards

WC

Old November 13th 03, 08:04 AM
Michael MacClancy

/
rope boards boots etc - so currently looking around and want to determine

touring setup for snowboard - in the past used K2 & Clickers but nigh on
impossible to buy now in the UK - we have been discussing plate bindings

and
ski touring boots so we can then use small skis and skins instead of
shoes..... any advice welcome

Regards

WC

Cervinia
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 13th 03, 09:05 AM
Steve Haigh

WeatherCam wrote:

Second question, fire in August destroyed all our winter toys - harnesses /
rope boards boots etc - so currently looking around and want to determine a
touring setup for snowboard - in the past used K2 & Clickers but nigh on
impossible to buy now in the UK - we have been discussing plate bindings and
ski touring boots so we can then use small skis and skins instead of
shoes..... any advice welcome

Small skis? Why not go for proper skis and turn over a new leaf:-)
(well, you did post this to rec.skiing.r.e).

More seriously, the only boarders I know who tour use snow shoes. To me
they look awkward, but they swear by them. You can use soft boots with
them and you can buy folding models so they pack up quite small. These
seem to be more popular in N America than the UK, so have a look at
sites like www.mec.ca or www.rei.com for info on them.

Old November 13th 03, 11:53 AM
Greg Hilton

Gressoney/Alagna looks like they have good snow now, and it's high. However
I am a skier and was told on my previous trips that this area isn't good
for snowboarders due to many traverses needed to get to the good off piste
areas.

regards,

greg

Old November 13th 03, 12:19 PM
WeatherCam

Steve

First off I was a skier for some 15 years......then started boarding as
well, plus skiing - three years ago ripped knee cartilage which, even post
key hole surgery means I can no longer ski, for fear of catching an inside
edge which would just "total" my knee - on a board this is not an issue.....

Have used snow shoes for the past 6 - 7 years - we tour with skiers as well
in our group - have been with the same "team" now since 98 - with skins you
can climb much better - shoes can be cumbersome and even with a good
technique is not as economic "fitness" wise as skins...ok if in powder /
spring snow but on steep hard pack can be quite demanding....depending on
whether it is a day tour, or longer we'll climb, on average four hours plus
per day......I've pretty well experienced all types of snow with
shoes.........now our guide is experimenting with smaller skis that can be
used with touring boots for skins and traverses - we as boarders carry poles
and other kit - and instead of carrying shoes we'd carry short skis - which
means we be in stiff boots which is better for climbing and attaching
crampons..........next year we're going up to Narvik for quite an
interesting week - going up fjords in boat and climbing up - good news it's
only 2000mts max - but you're clmbing straight from sea level....

Regards
WC

Old November 13th 03, 06:21 PM
Neil Swingler

"WeatherCam" wrote in message
Second question, fire in August destroyed all our winter toys - harnesses

/
rope boards boots etc - so currently looking around and want to determine

touring setup for snowboard - in the past used K2 & Clickers but nigh on
impossible to buy now in the UK - we have been discussing plate bindings

and
ski touring boots so we can then use small skis and skins instead of
shoes..... any advice welcome

You might find some info about boarding with ski touring boots on
www.bomberonline.com.
It's mostly about carving on race boards but this sort of thing gets
discussed regularly.

--
Neil Swingler

Old November 14th 03, 09:05 AM
David Brown :o\)

Try Ebay : http://tinyurl.com/uyvj

we have been discussing plate bindings and
ski touring boots so we can then use small skis and skins instead of
shoes..... any advice welcome

Are split snowboards meant to be rubbish?

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old November 15th 03, 02:43 PM
WeatherCam

Friend was using a Burton split on a the three day tour this year - although
he was never a skier, he just could not get on with it - that said by the
third day he was doing much better - trouble is you buy something like this,
then get to only use it "anger" when every one else is using equipment that
they are use to and you end up at the back having your own personal
nightmare trying to maintain the pace that you would have been able to keep
to with your old kit.....

Old November 17th 03, 01:23 PM
Steve Haigh

WeatherCam wrote:
Friend was using a Burton split on a the three day tour this year - although
he was never a skier, he just could not get on with it - that said by the
third day he was doing much better - trouble is you buy something like this,
then get to only use it "anger" when every one else is using equipment that
they are use to and you end up at the back having your own personal
nightmare trying to maintain the pace that you would have been able to keep
to with your old kit.....

There is always going to be a learning curve with any new piece of
technology, it's a bit of a facet of modern culture that people tend to
expect instant improvement with new toys like this. Even fat skis take a
bit of getting used to (esp. on pistes), but overall they make life a
lot easier in soft snow.

How did the split board work in snowboard mode though?

Old November 28th 03, 12:37 PM
funkraum

"WeatherCam" wrote:
[...]
Have used snow shoes for the past 6 - 7 years - we tour with skiers as well
in our group - have been with the same "team" now since 98 - with skins you
can climb much better - shoes can be cumbersome and even with a good
technique is not as economic "fitness" wise as skins...

Agreed

ok if in powder /
spring snow but on steep hard pack can be quite demanding....depending on
whether it is a day tour, or longer we'll climb, on average four hours plus
per day......I've pretty well experienced all types of snow with
shoes.........

Agreed. I think the only conditions I would take snowshoes for are
length undulating deep soft. ie not very Alpine.

now our guide is experimenting with smaller skis that can be
used with touring boots for skins and traverses - we as boarders carry poles
and other kit - and instead of carrying shoes we'd carry short skis - which
means we be in stiff boots which is better for climbing and attaching
crampons

I agree with this policy to the letter.

I wish I could offer up-to-date advice. One used to have to have the
short (under 170cm) skis made but I have seen a few on the market
recently (Not sure what is available this year).

Please let us know your own findings.

..........next year we're going up to Narvik for quite an
interesting week - going up fjords in boat and climbing up - good news it's
only 2000mts max - but you're clmbing straight from sea level....

Sounds great.