what a trip

Old February 9th 05, 04:14 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default what a trip

http://www.dobbiacocortina.org/2005/finish.mpg

Wild finish line footage.

And a still
http://www.dobbiacocortina.org/2005/img/DC0029.jpg

I thought the leading edge of the foot determines when someone crosses
the line, in which case #27 (Piller Cottrer) would get the win, but
the results have Gutierrez (on the ground) in first.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old February 9th 05, 06:10 AM

Gutierrez was not skiing though.

Old February 9th 05, 01:51 PM
delltodd

I thought it was any body part to cross the line first. I recall a
video of a kid who made a flying diving leap at the line in a desparate
attempt to get in front at the line, but I don't think it worked his
case, but it was great thinking. This looks like a trip & fall, but it
looks to me like Gutierrez had it. Funny to see that clip !

Old February 10th 05, 08:02 AM
Terje Mathisen

delltodd wrote:
I thought it was any body part to cross the line first. I recall a
video of a kid who made a flying diving leap at the line in a desparate
attempt to get in front at the line, but I don't think it worked his
case, but it was great thinking. This looks like a trip & fall, but it
looks to me like Gutierrez had it. Funny to see that clip !

It is the shinbone, or most probably: The first body part to pass the
line in the height above the now where the photodiode sensor is located.

(Notice that some skiers will try to swing a pole in front of them,
presumably to break the sensor line! With a suitable level of 'debounce'
handling in the sensor this won't work though, because the break will be
much too short-lived.)

That would be for normal finishes.

In the case of a photo finish, the judges are supposed to determine when
the middle of the lower leg passes the line.

Terje

--
-
Old February 10th 05, 09:01 AM
Anders

Terje Mathisen wrote:

It is the shinbone, or most probably: The first body part to pass the

line in the height above the now where the photodiode sensor is

located.

The FIS rule 353 is rather unclear or ambiguous: with hand-timing it=B4s
explicitly "the competitor=B4s front foot", but with electronic timing
"when the contact /at a height of 25cm above the snow surface/ is
broken"...

(Notice that some skiers will try to swing a pole in front of them,
presumably to break the sensor line! With a suitable level of

'debounce'
handling in the sensor this won't work though, because the break will

be
much too short-lived.)

That would be for normal finishes.

And "in the case of competitors falling as they cross the finish line",
the above articles will apply ("if all the parts of their bodies are
moved across the finish line without any outside assistance").

In the case of a photo finish, the judges are supposed to determine

when
the middle of the lower leg passes the line.

Article 353.1.6. is quite explicit that the ranking "will be
established according to the order they crossed the vertical plane of
the finish line by the toe of their front foot".

Thus it would indeed be possible to fall and win like Gutierrez did,
when one=B4s head, hand or any other part of the body manages to "break
the contact" before it is broken by any other competitor. The order in
which the toes of their boots crossed the line seems to be irrelevant.

But only if the jury decides the finish wasn=B4t close to be a photo
finish:-)

Anders