Using rollerblade wheels on rollerskis -- bad for technique?

Old July 10th 04, 02:09 PM
Everett

Default Using rollerblade wheels on rollerskis -- bad for technique?

My Elpex F1 rollerskis are great, but the price of real
Elpex replacement wheels here in Canada is daunting ($75
each -- ouch!) So when my original set of wheels wore out
(which didn't take long) I replaced them with Hyper inline
skate (rollerblade) wheels (84 mm, 83A hardness; illustrated
at http://www.skates.com/catalog/skates/hyper-race-wheels-1.htm).
Not only were the Hyper wheels far cheaper ($15 each), but
they have also lasted much longer than the original rubber
Elpex wheels. Several skiers here in Canmore, however, have
told me that the different rolling characteristics of inline
skate wheels (essentially, they are faster) fosters bad ski
technique. My skis are now definitely faster than those of the
people that I rollerski with that have rubber wheels, but I can't
see why that should lead to bad technique; it seems to me
that it's similar to having a better wax job when on snow.

Any comments?
Old July 11th 04, 01:24 AM
Serge

Technically, you can reach speed at which proper pole placement would be
impossible - that would negate all the upper body workout.

Only very proficient skiers can get benefit from it.
The rest of us mere mortals have to emphasize upper body workout on
slower speed before we reach the speed of good skating wheels.

Here is a suggestion - go by cheap(and slow )skating wheels (like $3) at
www.swatskates.com. Talk to Charlie,he will help you.

I got slow PU wheels for $3 that are still faster than rubber
but OK in anything but wet asphalt.
Old July 11th 04, 02:46 PM
Edward Dike, III

"Everett" wrote in message
om...
| What kind of grease? And how would you get it in -- the bearings
| appear to me to be sealed.
|
| -Everett

Te heavier the grease- automotive wheel bearing, as a possibility- the more
ressistance it adds, particularrly when first applied.
The links below shound help with opening the bearings.
ED3

http://tinyurl.com/2raow

http://tinyurl.com/26j6u

Old July 11th 04, 05:07 PM
revyakin

another idea - find a good long hill and ski up. Take a pair of
snickers with you in a backpack to hike down. Or find a buddy to
car-shutte you down. Or bring a bike with you, and use your car to
bring the bike on the top to have it waiting for you there. I used to
do all of the above.
Old July 11th 04, 11:05 PM
Everett

In order to practice offset technique (V1 for those of you
in the U.S.) I do the bike shuttle thing frequently. But it's
unclear to me what this has to do with my question? Believe me,
I wouldn't ski down the hills that I do this for with the slowest
wheels in existence.

-Everett

Old July 12th 04, 04:43 AM
www.SkatingWorldRecords.org

Try www.scooterbiz.com for $2 wheels.

Want more resistance in your wheels to slow you down ? Don't put any
spacers in between the bearings.
Old July 12th 04, 12:33 PM
Serge

Jonathan, rolerski have 7mm axle/bolt system.
You have to have spacer.
Replacing bolt for 8mm would require larger bushings.
Old July 12th 04, 07:08 PM
revyakin

But it's
unclear to me what this has to do with my question?

From what I understood you're concerned about no enough resistance of
rollerblade wheels. Skiing uphill adds resistance.