snowboarding in april -- beginners

Old March 18th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
adie

Default snowboarding in april -- beginners

Hi All,

Can anyone reccomend some resorts that have good snow and lots of runs for
beginners that are still suitable in april.

im based in europe, but will travel to the US/Canada if required.

last snowboarded around 5 years ago, so not a total beginner but will be
rusty.

thanks!
Old March 19th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike T

Can anyone reccomend some resorts that have good snow and lots of runs for
beginners that are still suitable in april.

im based in europe, but will travel to the US/Canada if required.

I would recommend against travelling across the pond for late-season riding
because you never know what you'll get weather wise... unless, that is, can
you book a last-minute trip.

Most USA resorts close in April - some ones that have notably good
conditions late season are Arapahoe Basin, Mammoth, Squaw Valley, Mt
Bachelor, Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline, and Whistler. I am a Bachelor local
and typically ride as many days in April and May as I do in the middle of
winter.

As far as beginner terrain Squaw and Timberline have tons of it which is
open for late-season. Bachelor's closes about 3rd week in April.

Mike T

Old March 19th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
adie

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:47:08 -0700, Mike T wrote:

Can anyone reccomend some resorts that have good snow and lots of runs for
beginners that are still suitable in april.

im based in europe, but will travel to the US/Canada if required.

I would recommend against travelling across the pond for late-season riding
because you never know what you'll get weather wise... unless, that is, can
you book a last-minute trip.

Most USA resorts close in April - some ones that have notably good
conditions late season are Arapahoe Basin, Mammoth, Squaw Valley, Mt
Bachelor, Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline, and Whistler. I am a Bachelor local
and typically ride as many days in April and May as I do in the middle of
winter.

As far as beginner terrain Squaw and Timberline have tons of it which is
open for late-season. Bachelor's closes about 3rd week in April.

Hi there, thanks for the info. Been looking at Whistler, like the idea of
the enormous greenrun from top of mountain and large area.

Any major downsides with whistler? will look at timberline and squaw too
:-)
Old March 19th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Andrew

On Mar 18, 11:36 pm, adie wrote:
[...]

I was at Whistler a week and a half ago. At the time, the snow was
fairly good from about a third of the way up the mountain to the peak,
but slushy and disgusting at the bottom. I even downloaded in the
gondola once - it was that bad. Of course, you never have to ride
that part.

I spent more of the trip on my skis because they don't do a great job
of grooming the groomers, so if you want to do some high-speed
carving, it's hard to find a suitable run. However, on the fresh snow
days I had a blast on my board. The other problem, though, is that
when there's some weather, there's frequently a lot of fog. The
visibility can get so bad that they have sign posts installed on the
traverses and intermediate runs that are the easiest way down from the
lift or that access the bowls and chutes. You stay between them until
you can see enough to drop into something more interesting. For
beginners, these might not be great runs because they're frequently
crowded by fast skiers and riders on their way to something else.
There are some good beginner lifts on the mountain as well, and some
are high enough to be in what was good snow a week and a half ago.
Emerald on the Whistler side and Jersey Cream on the Blackcomb side
come to mind. Look at some weather reports when you're deciding if
you want to go to Whistler.

Old March 19th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
adie

On 19 Mar 2007 00:13:39 -0700, Andrew wrote:

On Mar 18, 11:36 pm, adie wrote:
[...]

So crappy weather and slush being the downside. Budget wise i can afford
the best resort, so it just a matter of finding the right combination. Good
snow, good beginners/intm runs, decent weather in april. want to have 14
days, so should also need to be big enough with some variation... And of
course decent off-piste fun.
Old March 19th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

adie wrote:

So crappy weather and slush being the downside. Budget wise i can afford
the best resort, so it just a matter of finding the right combination. Good
snow, good beginners/intm runs, decent weather in april. want to have 14
days, so should also need to be big enough with some variation... And of
course decent off-piste fun.

Banff should be a rockin' spring season this year. Sunshine typically
stays open until late May, and I'm sure even Louise will have good snow
well into April. You're a lot less likely to get an early melt in Banff
than Whistler. Banff is a fun resort town, lots of bars and restaurants
although not as wild a party scene as Whistler.

As a beginner snowboarder, if it's true spring conditions you'll want to
limit your hours on the snow to between 10 or 11 and 2 or 3. Before 10,
all of the previous day's slush will be frozen solid and very tough
slugging. There will be a few groomers that should be OK earlier.
After 2, it starts to get very soft and slushy. Time to hit the deck
for a beer and enjoy the bikinis.

OTOH in April in Banff you might run into some true winter weather.
Take all your gear, you never know what you'll find.

Also be sure to take and use plenty of high SPF sunblock. I once spent
several weeks looking like some sort of regenerating corpse after skiing
in April. My doctor's words: "well, you're lucky, looks like it won't
scar". The combination of spring sun at altitude and the reflection
from the snow is dangerous, and if the temperature feels a little cool
it can be very deceptive.

Neil
Old March 20th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Memascii

On Mar 18, 8:43 pm, adie wrote:
Hi All,

Can anyone reccomend some resorts that have good snow and lots of runs for
beginners that are still suitable in april.

im based in europe, but will travel to the US/Canada if required.

We normally go to Val d'Isere/Tignes at the end of April for the
last week of the season (though it's the first week May this year
I think). Weather is a real lottery, but there has always been
lots of snow. Quite often there are big dumps at this time of
year as well as lots of sun.

Cheers.
Iain.

Old March 23rd 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Early April is usually great in Colorado. I'm planning a trip there
myself from east coast. I recommend Summit County area. From there,
Breckenridge, Copper, and A-Basin are within 15 mins. Vail is a 45
min drive. Of those, A-Basin (Arapahoe Basin) is known for having the
longest season, but it's not the best for a beginner. All the others
have lots of green trails.

If you don't stay slopeside and rent a car, you can keep the cost
reasonable.

I would definitely try to go early April, as the later the season, the
more risk there is that you will find less desirable conditions. But
it sure as hell beats going to places like Killington, VT. Every
year that place is flooded with folks from England in March. Talked
to a guy last year. He flew from UK to Newark, then from Newark to
Boston, then drove couple hours to Kton. All I could think was
why? You could get on another plane at Newark for Colorado and be
there in 3 1/2 hours. And in Colorado, Mar is the high of the
season, world class resorts, and excellent conditons very likely.
For Kton, it's chancey, and often not very good, especially later in
March.

Old March 25th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Mar 24, 10:45 pm, "Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:
wrote in news:1174688093.401592.19460
@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

I would definitely try to go early April, as the later the

season, the more risk there is that you will find less desirable
conditions. But it sure as hell beats going to places like Killington, VT.

Every year that place is flooded with folks from England in March.

well.. not that I'm a KMart supporter or anything but...
I've been to Colorado in early April a few times and have
seen from decent cover to yards of dirt over every crest on
runs that are in the sun. I've also ridden at Jay Peak in
early May.

The point here is not the exception, but what is typical for someone
planning a trip in advance. And in April, it's far more likely
that you're going to find better snow at A-Basin, Breck, Copper than
anywhere in VT. Plus at Summit county, you have half a dozen
resorts within a few mins drive to choose from, three of them are on
the list of top spots in the world.

Personally I would always take Tahoe or SLC over CO for late
March/early April. The most important thing for late season
is base depth and ability to keep it. Tahoe and the Cottonwood
canyons almost always win that game. (JetBoo available out of
JFK for both)

And FYI:

Breck: 4" 3/11 3" 3/15 7" total in the past 2 weeks, 212 season
Sugarbush: 2" 3/15 14" 3/17 13" 3/18 11" 3/19, 225 season
Jay Peak: 322 season

and there's more to VT thank KMart thank you.

Good to see you consider base depth and ability to keep it key. So,
instead of season totals, and recent snow, lets look at those
factors:

Current reported base:
Killington, VT 36-54
Copper Mtn, CO 67-76
Breckenridge, CO 63-73
A Basin, CO 63-65

No surprise there, as VT has had a terrible season up until about
middle of last month. I was there in second half of Jan and the
bottom 2/3's of Superstar at Kton was bare dirt. I was also there
after the recent major storm and while it was excellent, I personally
find the 36-54 number hard to believe.

And where do you think that base is going to last the longest? At
4,000 ft elevation in VT or at 12,000 ft in CO? And BTW, since you
brought up recent snow, ABasin got 9" overnight.

I do agree that UT and Lake Tahoe may be good choices too, certainly
far better odds of decent conditions than VT in April. IMO, anyone
planning on coming to VT from Europe in April is making a major
mistake.