Which Tahoe area for one day?

Old February 12th 06, 05:23 PM

Default Which Tahoe area for one day?

Hi All,

I will be in Sacramento next week, but I might be able to
get away for one day. Which resort would you recommend if:

- it will be a weekday (if that makes a difference)

- I have been skiing for 30+ years, so I'd like a
hill with plenty of expert terrain.

- I will be skiing Squaw Valley later this year, so I'd
like to go somewhere else this time.

- I won't be able to take my equipment, so I'll need to rent.
Suggestions? Places to avoid?

- I will need to be back in Sacramento by 5:30-ish. So it would
be nice to be within a 90 minute ride (or so).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old February 13th 06, 05:02 AM

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:
Hi All,

I will be in Sacramento next week, but I might be able to
get away for one day. Which resort would you recommend if:

- it will be a weekday (if that makes a difference)

- I have been skiing for 30+ years, so I'd like a
hill with plenty of expert terrain.

- I will be skiing Squaw Valley later this year, so I'd
like to go somewhere else this time.

- I won't be able to take my equipment, so I'll need to rent.
Suggestions? Places to avoid?

- I will need to be back in Sacramento by 5:30-ish. So it would
be nice to be within a 90 minute ride (or so).

Any suggestions?

Sugar Bowl. No question, given the parameters. Rent their demo gear. (Try
to bring your own boots.)

I'll second that notion! Sugar Bowl. If it's a spring-like warm day, ski
the east facing runs in the morning. Otherwise, just start at the left
side of the resort and work your way to the right side of the resort and
back to the left (or vice versa). You might give up your Squaw plans when
you see what Sugar Bowl has to offer.
You can rent their demo skis or you can rent their performance skis (1 or
2 years old) or you can rent their basic rental line.
Weekday? No lift lines at all.

Sorry to be in the contrary. I agree with the choice of Sugarbowl if you
are restricted to North Tahoe. IMHO Kirkwood is your best choice for
vertical, challenge, diversity of aspects and quality/quantity of snow. And
if the day screams corn, Alpine Meadows hikes are hard to beat esp. High T.

RAC

Old February 13th 06, 05:52 PM

Is is hard to get to Kirkwood from Sacramento? Do you go
into Echo Lake and then back on Hwys 88 & 89?

Old February 14th 06, 12:47 AM

I just visited the SugarBowl website. Looks like a very nice place.
Since I will be renting, do I need to go to the Village?
Or can I rent skis at the Mt. Judah base?

Thanks!

Old February 14th 06, 04:12 AM

wrote:
[...]

I can't argue against any point you make, but the OP is looking for a
quickie with time constraints for travel. IMO, Sugar Bowl.

Old February 14th 06, 04:16 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just visited the SugarBowl website. Looks like a very nice place.
Since I will be renting, do I need to go to the Village?
Or can I rent skis at the Mt. Judah base?

Thanks!

If you're renting the basic line, either place will do.
I know you can rent the performance level skis at Mt. Judah (probably the
village, too).
You can only rent the demo line at the village; however, you can do the
paperwork at Mt. Judah and ski over to the village and get your demos. On a
weekday, if you're renting the demo line, enjoy the gondola ride to the
village; otherwise, for a quicker in and out go to Mt. Judah for your
rentals.

Old February 16th 06, 05:45 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I will be in Sacramento next week, but I might be able to
get away for one day. Which resort would you recommend if:

So, tell us where you went and how you liked it. Or didn't like it. Skiers
want to know!