A Cycling Question Related To Nordic Skiing

Old June 16th 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

Default A Cycling Question Related To Nordic Skiing

I've cycled for many years, but always road conservatively. My roadie
friends say I need to ride bigger gears to become faster. However from
many years of cycling I noticed it kicks my butt for returning to hill
bounding, ski walking, running, and roller skiing. The legs never feel
fresh. Is this something which will pass after several months of
getting acclimated to moving bigger gears? Perhaps JT can share some
of his cycling/nordic experience. Thanks.
Old June 16th 08, 11:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 03:43:27 -0700 (PDT), ADK Skier
wrote:

I've cycled for many years, but always road conservatively. My roadie
friends say I need to ride bigger gears to become faster. However from
many years of cycling I noticed it kicks my butt for returning to hill
bounding, ski walking, running, and roller skiing. The legs never feel
fresh. Is this something which will pass after several months of
getting acclimated to moving bigger gears? Perhaps JT can share some
of his cycling/nordic experience.

I don't really know since I don't ski train much until Novemberish.
The only insight I can add is that it's easy to overdo it in cycling
with big distance, etc.

Well, the other thing is that my legs feel pretty much the same after
riding as after skiing the same time period, so maybe if you get used
to it you won't have a problem

Old June 18th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

On Jun 16, 6:43 am, ADK Skier wrote:
I've cycled for many years, but always road conservatively. My roadie
friends say I need to ride bigger gears to become faster. However from
many years of cycling I noticed it kicks my butt for returning to hill
bounding, ski walking, running, and roller skiing. The legs never feel
fresh. Is this something which will pass after several months of
getting acclimated to moving bigger gears? Perhaps JT can share some
of his cycling/nordic experience. Thanks.

I bike raced and ski raced together for a decade and have done both
sports in a smaller way for another decade since.

I find they complement each other just fine.

I remember that inline and speed skating also seemed to fit nicely
with xc skiing.

(Ideally one would also include fla****er canoe/kayak racing/training
to get the best cross-sport effect. )

I'm surprised that anyone involved with cycling would comment on gear
size. It has no relation to anything. To get faster you have to be
fitter, that's all. Your cadence should stay about the same. Gear
size will increase naturally with fitness. Actually, as you get fitter
on a bike you usually become more versatile/flexible/tolerant/skilled
so you can be effective/comfy riding at both faster and slower
cadences (and bigger and smaller gears) than previously.

Even so, I'd think that skiers might tend to ride best at higher
cadences, smaller gears for any given speed/fitness. I did, anyway. I
suppose I just had better cardio from skiing than I had leg muscle
masss.

Also, you're not clear about WHEN your bike legs feel stale as regards
ski training.

I could see the legs feeling odd for a few weeks in the fall after a
summer of cycling but they should gradually get used to running, etc.

If you do a running workout the same day or maybe even the next day
after a bike workout then you're kinda entering the turf of triathlon
training---and those guys find that aerobars and a forward "open"
saddle position (steep seat tube) keep their legs fresher for
running.

Oh well, just some notions. --JP