do you wear reg socks or thin socks or 2 pair of socks or?

Old April 18th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default do you wear reg socks or thin socks or 2 pair of socks or?

Thanks for the BD tip. : )

I wonder if socks for racing and for touring are 2 totally different
critters. What do speedskaters wear in outdoor events? Probably hardly
anything. I never had a cold foot in racing. You're going hard and
working the feet---their blood is flowing fine---wiggle the toes when
in doubt---they quickly revive. You want a great boot fit---probably
like a speedskate boot---which starts out feeling too tight in a
workout then breaks in just enough to have bio-function---the point
being to give you great ski control joy.

I suppose when it gets under, say, 5F then you pop on an overbooty---
speedskaters do, too, right? Don't mess with your FIT though!

I also use a smaller size boot for racing.

That said, for touring at 0F I'll use one thin and one med wool. As
posted, ultra thin liners work great against blisters.

--JP
Old May 16th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Whalen NULL

On Apr 18, 8:54*am, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote:
[...]

I am now getting nervous. I just bought race boots and got them a
"bit" on the large side because I wanted to be able to wear two pairs
of socks - one liner and one thicker outer sock for warmth. I agre
that you go hard in racing but I do the marathon distance and am out
there a long time - and for some reason (that I have never been able
to determine) my feet get pretty damn cold - as do my hands. I wear
BIG Barton gore Tex mittens even in races. As I write this I think I
am convincing myself that I probably bought the right size boot - I am
a 9 street shoe, 9.5 running shoe and bought 44 racing boots - and I
debated a lot about the 43's.
Old May 16th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Jim Whalen NULL wrote:

I am now getting nervous. I just bought race boots and got them a
"bit" on the large side because I wanted to be able to wear two pairs
of socks - one liner and one thicker outer sock for warmth. I agre
that you go hard in racing but I do the marathon distance and am out
there a long time - and for some reason (that I have never been able
to determine) my feet get pretty damn cold - as do my hands. I wear
BIG Barton gore Tex mittens even in races. As I write this I think I
am convincing myself that I probably bought the right size boot - I am
a 9 street shoe, 9.5 running shoe and bought 44 racing boots - and I
debated a lot about the 43's.

Normally a classic boot is the same size as a running or trail shoe
since there's the same kind of fore and aft movement, while a skate
boot is a little smaller, closer to street shoes, because the motion
is more side to side and up and down. Too large can become a problem in
a sloppy heel or loose forefoot flex. I'm hoping the suggestion of
Bridgdale socks is a good one. Another idea is buying a bunch of foot
warmers on ebay. They are very thin and effective.

rm
Old May 21st 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

wrote:
[...]

In my experience, xc boots are generally fitted - racing style anyway
- with the intention of wearing overboots when it's cold instead of
thick socks. This is way more versatile

When it's warm, you have the correct, thin weight of socks to avoid
being too hot and the boots still fit properly (as opposed to wearing
thin socks in boots fitted for thick socks). When it's colder, you
wear the same socks since that's what the boots were fitted for. But
you wear the insulation over the boots. An added bonus is that many
of us think there's better feel for the ski/snow with a thinner sock
and tighter fitting boot.

There's a lot of options for this. My favorite right now is the Boot
Glove neoprene overboots. I also have some bulky pile Alpina over-
ankle overboots which I use when it's colder than -15F. Yes, I wear
them with Solomon pilot soled boots.

This strategy goes way back. I first was turned on to it by some
Norwegians in the early 70s who taught me to wear an oversized ragwool
sock over my boots - and my feet have been happy and warm since.

I've always done the same thing with my touring boots as well.

That said, it is pretty common to wear a think polypro type liner and
a pair of what I would consider thin wool or synthetic socks - the
above mentioned smartwool or Brodgeport XC socks being a couple
examples.
Old May 21st 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

How have you gotten the Boot Glove to stay put? I have the largest
size, but they weren't made for the style of groomed area boots we
wear and it tends to slide up off the toe. From time to time I've
found older Salomon overboots on sale and cut out an extra slot for
pilot setup.

rm

Old May 22nd 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

On May 21, 11:18 am, wrote:
How have you gotten the Boot Glove to stay put? I have the largest
size, but they weren't made for the style of groomed area boots we
wear and it tends to slide up off the toe. From time to time I've
found older Salomon overboots on sale and cut out an extra slot for
pilot setup.

I know what you mean and occasionally have that problem. Mine stay
put if I keep the rear velcro strap down low near the heel of the boot
on the lower part of the curved heel cup portion of the boot so it
doesn't slide up. It seems that if I keep the rear strap from sliding
up over the heel cup, the toe also stays in place. It seems to work.
I use them with Solomon classic boots - the silver/gray "Carbon" boots
with the Profil sole (not pilot) as well as my pilot skate boots.

The ones I use are called "Alpine" I think, made for alpine ski boots,
but work really well with nordic boots.

I see from their website just now that they now sell a "Universal"
unit which has what appears to be an additional velcro strap at the
toe area.

I probably be using the older Salomon overboots too if I'd found some
for less than full retail. They are nice light weight, not overly warm
and bulky. But the Boot Glove ones work for me and aren't
ridiculously expensive like everything that has the Solomon label on
it.

Old July 13th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Whalen NULL

On May 16, 5:44*pm, wrote:
Jim Whalen NULL wrote:

[...]

I got Bridgdale socks (as requested ) for Father's Day! They seem
pretty good .....Also, I do use the foot warmers. They are great and
I find no problem at all having them in the boot, even at long
distances.

Socks for skiing Micheal Artindale[_2_] Nordic Skiing 12 October 24th 07 12:06 AM
Tight socks z? Snowboarding 4 March 22nd 07 06:03 PM
Profil or Pilot bindings; Race Skate 9 and Carbon Pro boot fit; Best sources for V2 105 SR; Type of socks; Leg brake; Poles [email protected] Nordic Skiing 19 May 17th 06 11:16 AM
Socks for alpine skiing Matt Alpine Skiing (moderated) 24 February 22nd 04 10:11 PM
skiing without socks? Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 4 February 4th 04 10:14 AM