biathlon world cup in Oslo

Old March 14th 04, 05:08 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default biathlon world cup in Oslo

This is interesting
http://www.biathlonworld.com/eng/new...000055_181.htm
http://www.biathlonworld.com/eng/new...000055_182.htm

Jeff Potter -- a couple years ago you speculated how cool it would be
to have a biathlon in a blizzard
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bi...ks.com&rnum=10

Sounds like the top-level officials wouldn't agree.

JT

Old March 14th 04, 08:48 PM
Gary Jacobson

What about running biathlon WC's in fog?
I was at Holmonkollen watching a race, but I could hardly see anything. I
was surprised that the race went off. I can't imagine how the biathlete saw
their targets. Probably a common situation this time of year there.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY There's still some skiing here, but we're on bikes.

Old March 16th 04, 02:59 AM
Gary Jacobson

Those links don't indicate a problem with fog, but I just read an article in
a Norwegian paper that suggests fog was the reason for cancellation this
year.
Initially I thought a blizzard struck

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY where we are expecting something like a blizzard tomorrow.

Old March 16th 04, 06:14 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Gary Jacobson" skrev i melding
Those links don't indicate a problem with fog, but I just read an article

in
a Norwegian paper that suggests fog was the reason for cancellation this
year.

Yes indeed, the reason was simply thick fog. Fog is a much too common
problem in Holmenkollen in March, I am sorry to say. Fog causes great
problems far too often in March. February is much better in Holmenkollen.
You see, Oslo is a port town, located by the Oslo fiord. Lillehammer in
inland Norway has a far better and very stable cold winter climate with
usually lots of snow and clear skies in winter, and does not have these
problems at all.

Initially I thought a blizzard struck.

Oh no, definitely no blizzard, just lots of thick fog.

Old March 16th 04, 08:49 PM
Bob

Yes indeed, the reason was simply thick fog. Fog is a much too common
problem in Holmenkollen in March, I am sorry to say. Fog causes great
problems far too often in March. February is much better in Holmenkollen.
You see, Oslo is a port town, located by the Oslo fiord. Lillehammer in
inland Norway has a far better and very stable cold winter climate with
usually lots of snow and clear skies in winter, and does not have these
problems at all.

There's no fog in Oslo right now. Check out skinnyski:

http://bmary.com/Bryant_skis_Norway.html

more photos to come as he sends them,
Bob