Winter greetings from Oslo

Old November 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Steinar Kjærnsrød

Default Winter greetings from Oslo

Yesterday I created a video with the name "Winter in Oslomarka", containing
an animated sequence of 140 winter photos from Oslomarka (the forests
surrounding Oslo). The photos are coming from more than 30 different
photographers contributing with photos on the website of Skiforeningen -
www.skiforeningen.no.

The great authoring software from Photodex (www.photodex.com) also
conveniently creates a streaming web presentation on request, and I wrapped
up such a presentation. If some of you should consider visiting Oslo doing
XC skiing this winter, feel free to see what you will meet by looking at
this presentation!

It is available on

www.skiforeningen.no/mdb.html

Follow the instructions, you will need to install a plugin in your browser,
but this is done automatically the first time you visit this page.
Requirements:

- Internet Explorer 6.x
- any Windows OS
- DSL/cable connection to the Internet, or better

--
Steinar Kjærnsrød
"Summer stinks, think snow"

Old November 11th 04, 01:55 AM
Mark Eastman

Absolutely fantastic show! It brought back fond memories of my trip to
Norway (Oslo area) two years ago...first week of January....during an
extreme cold snap. I will have to show some of this to my students here in
the Bay Area as a pre Christmas present. I notice that a particular
Norwegian thing is that the snow remains on the trees.....seemingly without
melting. That creates some fantastic shapes. I have the impression that
this winter...is starting out on the mild side....as compared to two years
ago. I don't think too many places are open in the US......or Norway. But
I could be wrong about Norway.

Congratulations on a wonderful experience.

Mark Eastman

Old November 11th 04, 03:19 AM
Scott Elliot

Thanks Steinar. That is very beautiful. My son should be in Norway now. I
hope he finds some of that snow.

Scott

Old November 11th 04, 06:02 AM
Steinar Kjærnsrød

Thanks to all of you - I should have added that these photos are from the
winters 2003/2004 and 2002/2003. Snow seems to be a bit late this season, we
had the first few flakes here yesterday but they melted away again. Two
winters ago we had stable conditions from Oct 20th and until late April:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/cgi/newi...=1646&cur=-med

I will keep the presentation on the server for future use, and probably
update it with English text later.
--
Steinar Kjærnsrød
"Summer stinks, think snow"

newsLBkd.90829$VA5.72834@clgrps13...

Old November 11th 04, 06:20 AM
Terje Mathisen

Scott Elliot wrote:

Thanks Steinar. That is very beautiful. My son should be in Norway now. I
hope he finds some of that snow.

He was going to visit my brother-in-law Egil yesterday around 15:30 to
borrow some skis, afaik that went OK. My two kids had 30 cm of fresh
snow to slog around in (on foot!) when they hiked up to Blefjell last
weekend on a Scout trip.

It did seem like most places would open one or two weeks ago, but then
we got a mild spell.

Terje

--
-
Old November 17th 04, 10:18 PM
Alex

Steinar,

Thanks for this. It brought back many happy memories of my time in Oslo.

Alex

Old November 20th 04, 08:45 PM
Terje Mathisen

Scott Elliot wrote:

Thanks Steinar. That is very beautiful. My son should be in Norway now. I
hope he finds some of that snow.

We've had skiable snow in Oslo since wednesday, tonight we had Tone's
sister and family over for dinner (Moose steak!), and Egil reported that
Scott's son came by yesterday and returned the skis/poles he had borrowed.

Seems he got to visit Beitostølen for the norwegian (and US!) season
opener last weekend, according to Hanne he seemed quite happy. :-)

Terje

--
-
Old November 21st 04, 02:47 AM
Scott Elliot

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Scott Elliot wrote:

We've had skiable snow in Oslo since wednesday, tonight we had Tone's
sister and family over for dinner (Moose steak!), and Egil reported that
Scott's son came by yesterday and returned the skis/poles he had borrowed.

Seems he got to visit Beitostølen for the norwegian (and US!) season
opener last weekend, according to Hanne he seemed quite happy. :-)

Terje

Adam phoned this morning from Amsterdam. He loved his visit to Norway and
says he has to go back. He found everything was expensive, but the people
were great and many times he got breaks on price when people learned how
tight a budget he is travelling on. One great deal was that he managed to
rent a cabin at right on the trails at Beitostølen, after the race was over,
for about $30 CDN a night. Groceries were still expensive, but he could
cook his own meals.

Adam was very impressed by the ski race. He felt that the atmosphere was
designed much more to attract young people than would have been the case for
a similar race in North America. LOUD, modern music throughout the event,
only pausing for starts and finishes. They seemed to go out of their way to
make skiing attractive to young people. He also mentioned that he was able
to ski with national team level skiers from Norway, Italy, Russia, Slovakia,
China and USA while he was there. There was a noticeable lack of Canadian
skiers. (Beckie Scott is at Silver Star this weekend.)

Adam flies back to Canada on Tuesday, but if he could find a job in Norway
it sounds like he would be on the next plane back. I haven't heard him so
enthusiastic about anything for quite a while.

Scott

Old November 21st 04, 04:02 PM
Terje Mathisen

Scott Elliot wrote:

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Seems he got to visit Beitostølen for the norwegian (and US!) season
opener last weekend, according to Hanne he seemed quite happy. :-)

Adam phoned this morning from Amsterdam. He loved his visit to Norway and
says he has to go back. He found everything was expensive, but the people

Norway (and to a lesser extent Europe in general) _is_ expensive,
particularly to visitors with US-based currencies: With the huge
deficits Bush2 have generated, the dollar/euro exchange rate have
dropped through the floor.

were great and many times he got breaks on price when people learned how
tight a budget he is travelling on. One great deal was that he managed to
rent a cabin at right on the trails at Beitostølen, after the race was over,
for about $30 CDN a night. Groceries were still expensive, but he could
cook his own meals.

Bying groceries in Beito is probably among the most expensive places in
Norway: They have very season-dependent sales patterns, and relatively
expensive transport, so they probably need to charge quite a bit more
than the national average, just to make enough money to stay open
year-round.

Adam was very impressed by the ski race. He felt that the atmosphere was
designed much more to attract young people than would have been the case for
a similar race in North America. LOUD, modern music throughout the event,
only pausing for starts and finishes. They seemed to go out of their way to
make skiing attractive to young people. He also mentioned that he was able
to ski with national team level skiers from Norway, Italy, Russia, Slovakia,

We've never had any tradition for keeping our elite athletes separate
from the regular practitioners, it is the rule rather than the exception
for people like multiple world cup and world championship winners to
work as volunteer organizers when their home club puts up a meet.

I.e. at Bækkelaget's national event this fall (orienteering), Egil
Johansen (two or three times world champ, and national team coach a few
years later) was the starter, while Hanne Staff and Bjørnar Valstad
(both current world champions) worked in the finish area.

China and USA while he was there. There was a noticeable lack of Canadian
skiers. (Beckie Scott is at Silver Star this weekend.)

Too bad. :-(

Adam flies back to Canada on Tuesday, but if he could find a job in Norway
it sounds like he would be on the next plane back. I haven't heard him so
enthusiastic about anything for quite a while.

That's very good. :-)

Terje

--
-