Beginning skier age

Old January 6th 05, 07:51 AM
F. Plant

"Wayne" wrote in message
Hello all,

I'm a 43 year old guy who has been skiing since I was about 5. I am in
the middle of a custody fight for my 19 month old son. One point of
contention is my desire to take him skiing this year. So I'm looking
for opinions about starting skiing very young and also what experience
skiing can bring to your life.

A bit about my son. He started walking at 9 months and is now getting
quite proficient at it. When we chase each other around the house he
can sometimes slide in his stocking feet on the laminate floor without
falling. I note that the manufacturers all make equipment for people
his size. We've been to the nearby ski hill a couple of times just to
watch and it's clear that cold will be an issue so I hope to find a nice
day in the spring for the first ski day. He certainly finds it
interesting when we watch from the car.

snip

This is my second year for real kiddie skiing and skiing is a huge part our
winter. We started at 1.5 with no equipment and just held them in our arms
as we snowplowed on a bump next to the lodge. We would herringbone back up
and do it over and over til we hurt too much. We actually skied at age 2.5,
but our tot had also been at the ski hill for the first 2 seasons so it was
a pretty familiar place. Went out about 18 times, varying from 15 minutes
to 1.5 hours. Also had one that was a no go -ended up being just a hot
chocolate trip and was at the end of a series of private lessons. In the
spring floating a pop bottle in the slush streams was a big hit though. Now
3.5 and was just out for the first time this year and did about 1.25 hrs
then had a break of half an hour then did another hour before having to go
home over the wailing protests, so whatever we are doing it seems to be
working.

You said you have been in the sport for a long time, but unless you are a
strong skier, a good teacher and very patient, in my opinion you may want to
leave lessons to the pros but you are the best judge. That said there is no
harm playing with your kid, and at that age that's all you will probably be
doing.

If you go for equipment, you may have problems getting small enough ski
boots, though you may just want to go for snow boots and strap on skis at
this point as no edging will be happening. May be tough to keep the boots
from pulling off, however its handy to switch back to normal boots almost
instantly. Kid may love ski boots though, ours sure did. Also have a
toboggan as an alternative and be prepared to have to run up hills). You
will need warm dry clothes, and make sure they don't get too hot or cold.
Odds are you will take lots of breaks so you will have lots of chances to
check toes and hands. A helmet is a good idea if their neck is strong
enough for it, as skiboots can cause them to fall unexpectedly -I can't
remember what age/size they start at though. Goggles are also a good idea
as you have to be very wary of someone else poking them in the eye w a ski
pole. Also protects them it they do a face plant into their skis. Ours did
this at least once -skis stopped and the head just bobbed down into the tips
goggles first.

As for actually skiing, I'd be wary about wanting to go up a lift and come
down. You could give them lots of thrills off to the side on a short flat
pitch for the first few times out. No worries of anyone running into you,
or being too far from the lodge when their disposition changes. When we
started actual skiing we did it at the bottom of a beginner pitch, and just
carries our tot a short way up the hill. I started out by crawling
backwards downhill holding the ski tips while my wife acted as a blocker for
us. We ride the lift and usually use a harness and a bra now, but thats
mainly because my back won't take being bent over holding the tips for hours
on end.

Just my 2 cents.

F.Plant
PS Just pointing out and explaining all the stuff at the ski hill and in the
lodge will keep you busy for a day!

Old January 7th 05, 09:05 PM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:07:39 -0600, someone wrote:

.... So I'm looking
for opinions about starting skiing very young and also what experience
skiing can bring to your life.

I was divorced after custody litigation when I taught my kids to ski.
I could have taken them at any age but didn't start them until 4 for
the younger one. Yeah yeah sure every kid is above average. Yeah
yeah you see 2 year olds sometimes. IMHO its pretty much wasted for
99% of the kids, 4 steps back for every 5 forwards, and you get to the
same place much quicker and easier if you just start them a little
later when they can actually process more complex instructions a
little better. 4-5 is good for most.

BTW, don't get all excited about what you're gonna say skiing adds to
life. I expect that the judge has heard of skiing. Push this too
hard and YOU will be the nut case. Different parents like different
sports. Don't push it. You ski, other parents do other things like
ride dirt bikes or go white water kayaking. Let HER be the nut case
rying to stop you. You should not have to make a case for how
wonderful skiing is. It is pretty well established that during you
parenting time or visitation, you can use your reasonable judgement on
what recreational activities you engage in with the children. It
would be up to her to show that you are being unreasonable.

Bring in a few SkiWee brochures.

But before you take advise from me, what does your attorney say????

-v.