Dumping in CA?

Old January 11th 05, 03:15 AM
The Real Bev

Mike wrote:

While San Diego is totally flooded and the water is disgusting from run-off,
I hear you guys in the mountains are getting the storm of the decade. I've
been digging around the resort websites trying to find updated information,
but they totally suck and none I've seen have posted any cool pictures from
this storm.

How's it looking up there? Are the resorts even open with this much snow?

Big Bear is shut down, as are all the roads leading in. One particular
spot, a long roadcut (apparently known as the Arctic Circle; I didn't
know that, but there's a bitch of a collapsing-radius curve right at the
beginning that will pitch the unwary into the snowbank that the highway
department thoughtfully piles up in advance of need) subject to
rockslides as well as snowslides, apparently stopped perhaps 100 cars
dead, requiring the occupants to be hauled out by cat or snowmobile.
It's also raining up there, but they swear the snow will act like a
sponge and everything will be OK.

Maybe next week...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old January 11th 05, 11:56 AM
WES PEARSON

The storm that's coming in now is suppose to be colder with snow levels
down to 4000 feet so there is hope. But it will most likely take them
awhile to get the roads open. Especially if it snows on them.

The Real Bev wrote:

Mike wrote:

[...]

* Why Yes! I am a real Helicopter Pilot!!! *
KF6QQQ

Old January 12th 05, 04:46 PM
MattB

The Real Bev wrote:
Mike wrote:

[...]

My friend who lives in Big Bear Lakes said the dam is spilling over the
top with the spillway flowing at full capacity. Yikes!

Matt

Old January 13th 05, 04:16 AM
Mike

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Big Bear is shut down, as are all the roads leading in. One particular
spot, a long roadcut (apparently known as the Arctic Circle; I didn't
know that, but there's a bitch of a collapsing-radius curve right at the
beginning that will pitch the unwary into the snowbank that the highway
department thoughtfully piles up in advance of need) subject to
rockslides as well as snowslides, apparently stopped perhaps 100 cars
dead, requiring the occupants to be hauled out by cat or snowmobile.
It's also raining up there, but they swear the snow will act like a
sponge and everything will be OK.

Maybe next week...

Hopefully this weekend won't be a total zoo. Do you guys get Martin Luther
King day off work?

Mike

Old January 13th 05, 05:41 AM
The Real Bev

Mike wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Big Bear is shut down, as are all the roads leading in. One particular
spot, a long roadcut (apparently known as the Arctic Circle; I didn't
know that, but there's a bitch of a collapsing-radius curve right at the
beginning that will pitch the unwary into the snowbank that the highway
department thoughtfully piles up in advance of need) subject to
rockslides as well as snowslides, apparently stopped perhaps 100 cars
dead, requiring the occupants to be hauled out by cat or snowmobile.
It's also raining up there, but they swear the snow will act like a
sponge and everything will be OK.

Maybe next week...

Hopefully this weekend won't be a total zoo. Do you guys get Martin Luther
King day off work?

What, me work? Pshaw!

Every schoolkid and government worker and a lot of other people get MLK
Day off. I figured NOBODY would be there on MLKD a couple of years ago,
which is about as bad a mistake as it's possible to make that doesn't
make you lose body parts.

"Hwy 330/18 through Running Springs remains closed at this time and is
currently being worked on. We will update regularly on the outlook for
its re-opening. Hwy 18 through the Lucerne Valley will likely be closed
for quite a while. At this time, plan on using Hwy 38 through Redlands
until further notice. With the holiday weekend approaching and with 2
out of the 3 roads closed, please be patient and allow for extra time as
Hwy 38 may be more congested than usual."

You can get $38 lift tickets at Ralph's now, which is still a ripoff.
What you want to do with Mountain High, assuming the short drive means
enough to you, is to buy a six-pack and sell off any remaining tickets
in the parking lot the last day you go. Yes, legal.

--
Cheers,
Bev