Where to buy gear in the [south] UK?

Old January 12th 05, 12:08 AM
Gareth Crawshaw

Default Where to buy gear in the [south] UK?

Hi... I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was here a month (or so) ago
looking for hints on layering? Well... Having been, I was more worried than
I should have been - unless the layering worked supremely well, because I
didn't feel an ounce(?) of cold! Anyway, I was in Norway (Rondane) and
morning temperatures were generally around -18° but rose to -8°(ish)...
Coldest temperature was -30° one night but layering was good - and I never
got to wear my Rab Latok jacket...

Anyway, absolutely loved it. (I've got some pictures if you're interested...
Not very good ones because it was a learning experience with a new digi
camera as well - which struggled with batteries and light... if you are
interested, they are at http://www.ecce.biz/gc/exodus/rondane04/index.html)

Loved it so much, I'm going again start of March and hence... loads of
questions, so thanks for your patience!

Anyway, I'm going again start of March and ski hire is additional and given
I want to go again, I'm thinking of buying my own gear. Not many gear places
in the general East Anglia sort of place (East Midlands) here in England
hence, lots of questions, but mainly, what do you guys recommend for a
novice beginner like me who is just starting out on (hopefully) a future of
getting better at Classic XC Skiing?

I'm going to go over the Peter Gynt Loipe in March, if that's any hint as to
the sort of skiing I'm going to be doing...

I've had a look at a few suppliers' sites (Salomon, Fischer and Atomic),
trying to work out what sort of ski would suit me - the skis I used
(rentals) in Norway (Rondane) were Madshus, but I've no idea what they
were... All I know is that they were waxable. So ski wise I've come up
with...

Salomon: Salomon Classic 8
Atomic: TX6 Cl52
Fischer: Cruiser

.... but then, I don't know what I'm talking about as a total novice...
Questions...

I would need poles and boots aswell. Is it worth buying in the UK? Can I get
better "package" deals elsewhere? Are these skis okay for me (64kg/140
pounds) I can see that medium length is right for me - but where does
"flexibility" come into it? (All I can see is length!)

Old January 12th 05, 11:56 AM

Gareth Crawshaw wrote:
Hi... I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was here a month (or

so) ago
looking for hints on layering? Well... Having been, I was more

worried than
I should have been - unless the layering worked supremely well,

because I
didn't feel an ounce(?) of cold! Anyway, I was in Norway (Rondane)

and
morning temperatures were generally around -18=B0 but rose to

-8=B0(ish)...
Coldest temperature was -30=B0 one night but layering was good - and I

[...]

Happy to hear that you had a good time. Looks wonderful in your
Photos.

Regarding your question about ski purchase, I only know one retailer in
the south of Britain whom I would recommend. However, he only sells
racing gear, so unless you are set on learning to be a speedy track
skier, he is probably not your best option. This is his link:
http://www.biathlonsport.com/. He only does mail order, but is very
helpful in advising what you need. Prices are pretty good too, but
remember to add VAT when comparing.

There is a shop in Aviemore in Scotland, but I haven't used them for
years, so I don't know what they are like now, or what name they are
currently trading under. My link doesn't work anymore.

Here is the link to the Madhus site http://www.madshus.com/index.php

Unless you won't have access to good ski-hire, I think I would
tentatively suggest that you hire for the time being, until you have a
bit more experience and know what sort of ski-ing you like best and
where you want to ski. Flying with skis and poles is a bit of a pain,
and some airlines charge. Also, the skis, boots and poles that suit
you best as a beginner, may not suit you when you get a bit better
(although you could always keep the old ones for rock skis or sell
them). The third reason for hiring is that most hire-shops will let
you swap skis to find one that suits you, or swap waxable for waxless
if the conditions change.

The drawbacks with hiring are firstly; that you get used boots :-(
You could just buy boots but if you do, it is Murphy's law that you
will have NNN bindings and the hire shop has Salomon or vice versa. In
Norway, you will usually (but not always) find NNN. In Austria and
Germany, it always seems to be Salomon. In Italy, I have found both.

Secondly, in most ski-hire shops in Norway, you just get a basic
all-purpose ski. They very rarely offer waxless, or skating skis. Some
hire shops can be pretty poor, offer little choice and the skis can be
very battered and covered with old klister.

Thirdly, hired poles, in my experience, are always cheap and nasty.

If you decide to buy, you may be best shopping in Norway when you are
next there. Go out a day early perhaps. Lillehammer has some good
shops with expert advice. If you are going there, let me know and I
will get you the name of one my son has used. Oslo is bound to have
somewhere good. Maybe Terje can help? Norway is not always the
cheapest place to buy, even for Norwegian skis, but in March they will
be selling off the old stock and you could get a bargain.

If you are keen, you may find it useful to join a club - this one
covers the south of England -
http://www.micromission.co.uk/lrnsc/Default.htm

And this is the Snowsport England website -
http://www.escnordic.org.uk/Home_Main_1.html

This is a useful UK based magazine - http://www.ski-nordic.co.uk/

(Hope this all works - I am having a bit of trouble with the New Beta
Group)

Alex

Old January 13th 05, 12:02 PM
Gareth Crawshaw

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gareth Crawshaw wrote:

[snip]

[...]

[]

If you are keen, you may find it useful to join a club - this one
covers the south of England -
http://www.micromission.co.uk/lrnsc/Default.htm

And this is the Snowsport England website -
http://www.escnordic.org.uk/Home_Main_1.html

This is a useful UK based magazine - http://www.ski-nordic.co.uk/

Hi Alex,

Thanks for all the suggestions and links there. There has been a bit of a
fortunate change of plan here for me now... Changes to the trip mean that
equipment is all going to be provided which saves me a bit of a headache...
It was as you said about not really being experienced enough to know what
sort of direction my skiing is likely to take in the future, although I do
get the impression that people tend to have a range of different equipment
to suit the different things they are likely to be doing - which is fine if
you're in a position to be able to go off at short notice. Unfortunately,
doesn't apply to my situation here in England!

What I can do now though is benefit from what I have learned so far, ask the
right questions when I'm there and have time to browse around without having
to worry about how I'm going to be able to ski...

Thanks for all the links - good few tips for beginners there that I want to
try and put into practice... 49 days and counting! Perhaps I ought to try
some roller-skating... (Might upset my newfound Classic style though... Ah
well.)

Gareth

Old January 13th 05, 12:53 PM
taywood

Thanks for all the links - good few tips for beginners there that I want
try and put into practice... 49 days and counting! Perhaps I ought to try
some roller-skating... (Might upset my newfound Classic style though... Ah
well.)

Roller SKIING please.
It would help all the elements of your Classic style.
The guys at London Region club and the producers of Ski Nordic
all do roller skiing at several venues in the South, usually on
skate skis.
Suggest you contact them quickly.

A google on roller skis will give you more background,
this page illustrates the important aspect of Stopping!!

http://www.skinnyski.com/training/ar...rskiing-1.html

Mike

Old January 13th 05, 01:52 PM
Gareth Crawshaw

"taywood" wrote in message

Thanks for all the links - good few tips for beginners there that I want
try and put into practice... 49 days and counting! Perhaps I ought to

try
some roller-skating... (Might upset my newfound Classic style though...

Ah
well.)

Roller SKIING please.

Whoops! Mind must have been on something completely different!

It would help all the elements of your Classic style.
The guys at London Region club and the producers of Ski Nordic
all do roller skiing at several venues in the South, usually on
skate skis.
Suggest you contact them quickly.

A google on roller skis will give you more background,
this page illustrates the important aspect of Stopping!!

http://www.skinnyski.com/training/ar...rskiing-1.html

Mike

Thanks Mike, I've been looking through skinnyski and roller skis a fair
amount recently but have been put of by the price (which is ironic given
that I've been talking about buying skis!) and availability - I want to be
able to get to a shop to talk about and try out various options, but around
me here near Northampton, not a whole lot... The more links I get the
better...

Gareth

Old January 13th 05, 05:00 PM
taywood

OK Gareth
Two more links which may be of help to you and to others.

http://www.crosscountryskis.co.uk/
This is a new site, formerly EuroSki shop at Brighton who were
the only ski shop in England, the web page tells the story.

I live near Blackpool and most visits to family in Surrey meant a
quick visit to Brighton to see Tom and his latest imports.
I belong to Lakeland XC ski club but most of my skiing is done in
Scotland.

http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/
This page under construction will combine the sales from Braemar
Mountain Sports shop
and their partner shop Cairngorm Mountain Sports at Aviemore

They have a joint catalogue for 2004/2005 but their interests lie
mainly with Telemark, skitouring and alpineski mountaineering,
in keeping with the local topography.
They do carry XC equipment but tend to talk in derisory terms
of 'forest skiing'.
BUT they do have a Bargain List dated Dec 2004 which might
just have something of interest to you.

My favourite race venue is Clashindarroch Forest fostered by Huntly
Nordic Ski Club
http://www.huntly.net/hnoc and their ski centre
http://www.huntly.net/nordicski/ surprisingly, at Huntly Aberdeenshire.
Just for interest this forest collects the snow blown off the Cairngorm
massif by the prevailing westerly winds and holds the snow once its
melted off the surrounding moorlands. Its a gem.
Aberdeen airport is the closest, but its a long drive from Northampton.
Mike

Old January 13th 05, 06:48 PM
Gareth Crawshaw

"taywood" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Mike. Thanks for the links... I know the Shop in Braemar - Stayed at the
Lodge Bunkhouse and rented a bike there last January and had a nose around,
although I didn't pay too much attention to the skis at the time - there
wasn't any snow which was miserable as I was there to do some
walking/climbing and all we had was rain which had melted what snow there
was and froze into thick ice :-(

Funnily enough, I had been looking at Inverness airport. Luton is just half
an hour from me and EasyJet fly to Inverness for ridiculously low prices.
It's cheaper (and quicker!) to fly than to drive. Just out of curiosity, how
long would it take to walk out of Aberdeen (or Inverness) airport and travel
out to some ski tracks? (Not that I'm about to take up flying to Aberdeen
every weekend!)

Gareth

Old January 17th 05, 12:31 PM

Gareth,

The only place in Scotland that I know cuts tracks on a regular basis
is Huntley Nordic:
http://www.huntly.net/hnoc/
It is a shortish train ride from Aberdeen or Inverness.

With regard to the shop in Brighton, I am grateful to Taywood for the
up-to-date link. This shop has provided a useful service for many
years. I think it is best to shop there, only if you know what you
want. In my opinion, the owner does not have the knowledge of skiing,
to always give the best advice.