Best November skiing in Europe?

Old April 14th 04, 10:09 AM
John Ricketts

Default Best November skiing in Europe?

Have just had my 2nd weeks skiing this season (Feb in Chamonix - superb,
April in Scotland - Nevis - excellent fresh snow, very lucky!), and have now
got the family completely hooked too!

Looking at possibility of early season skiing with the family (early
November - autumn half-term). Do any european resorts open for skiing this
early?

Old April 14th 04, 10:20 AM
Ace

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:09:14 +0000 (UTC), "John Ricketts"
wrote:

Have just had my 2nd weeks skiing this season (Feb in Chamonix - superb,
April in Scotland - Nevis - excellent fresh snow, very lucky!), and have now
got the family completely hooked too!

Looking at possibility of early season skiing with the family (early
November - autumn half-term). Do any european resorts open for skiing this
early?

Yes, you should be able to ski in any of the normal summer skiing
resorts (but with much more open, one might hope), including Tignes,
Val d'Isère, la Plagne, Les2Alpes, Zermatt, Engelberg...

There are others with more limited areas, and doubtless some larger
ones I've forrgotten :-}

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 14th 04, 10:45 AM
John Ricketts

Thanks for suggestions. Where is best value-for-money in terms of food/drink
etc? I was surprised how much just 2 of us managed to spend in Chamonix in
feb, and taking a family of four.......

I know VDI has a reputation for being pricey, are any of your other
recommendations better?

Now if you could get alpine skiing and Scottish Apre prices.........

wrote:

Have just had my 2nd weeks skiing this season (Feb in Chamonix - superb,
April in Scotland - Nevis - excellent fresh snow, very lucky!), and have

now
got the family completely hooked too!

Looking at possibility of early season skiing with the family (early
November - autumn half-term). Do any european resorts open for skiing

this
early?

Yes, you should be able to ski in any of the normal summer skiing
resorts (but with much more open, one might hope), including Tignes,
Val d'Isère, la Plagne, Les2Alpes, Zermatt, Engelberg...

There are others with more limited areas, and doubtless some larger
ones I've forrgotten :-}

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the

Ski Club.

Old April 14th 04, 11:37 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
John Ricketts :
Have just had my 2nd weeks skiing this season (Feb in Chamonix - superb,
April in Scotland - Nevis - excellent fresh snow, very lucky!), and have now
got the family completely hooked too!

Can confirm Nevis Range was excellent last Wednesday - did I see you on
the slopes John?

Monday last week was positively dangerous though due to poor visibility.

Still it was two moer days skiing than we'd have had otherwise this year

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old April 14th 04, 07:10 PM
David Off

John Ricketts wrote:
Looking at possibility of early season skiing with the family (early
November - autumn half-term). Do any european resorts open for skiing

this

early?

Yes, you should be able to ski in any of the normal summer skiing
resorts (but with much more open, one might hope), including Tignes,
Val d'Isère, la Plagne, Les2Alpes, Zermatt, Engelberg...

I very much doubt you'll be able to ski in Val d'Isère or La Plagne.
Well not if you are hoping to use lifts, stay in hotels and have slopes
pisted that is :-)

This year Tignes and Montgènevre were the only two French resorts open
through November (excellent snow in the south) with l'Alpe d'Huez and
Les Deux Alpes open for the French half term and weekends. Val Tho
opened quite late - 3rd Saturday I think.
Old April 14th 04, 08:28 PM
PG

"David Off" wrote in message
| John Ricketts wrote:
| Looking at possibility of early season skiing with the family
(early
| November - autumn half-term). Do any european resorts open for
skiing

| this
|
| early?
|
| Yes, you should be able to ski in any of the normal summer skiing
| resorts (but with much more open, one might hope), including Tignes,
| Val d'Isère, la Plagne, Les2Alpes, Zermatt, Engelberg...
|

| I very much doubt you'll be able to ski in Val d'Isère or La Plagne.
| Well not if you are hoping to use lifts, stay in hotels and have
slopes
| pisted that is :-)
|
| This year Tignes and Montgènevre were the only two French resorts open
| through November (excellent snow in the south) with l'Alpe d'Huez and
| Les Deux Alpes open for the French half term and weekends. Val Tho
| opened quite late - 3rd Saturday I think.

Tignes was excellent all things considered end October, and November....
these photos taken October 28th last
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net/c.htm
Pete

Old April 15th 04, 07:32 AM
John Ricketts

I was there! Skied 6 days running! (but not a lot of vis). Tuesday/wednedsay
were the best with excellent fresh cover allowing good skiing down to the
gondola station.

Kids had a great time too. Now planning the next trip!

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
John Ricketts :

Old April 15th 04, 07:36 AM
John Ricketts

Nice pic's, thanks. Does seem that Tignes is best bet so looking at apt in
Val Claret.... seems good value even at 1/2 term. If you make your own way
with a car full it works aout about 1/2 the cost of a package!

Old April 15th 04, 11:16 AM
Joe Hunt

"John Ricketts" wrote in message
Nice pic's, thanks. Does seem that Tignes is best bet so looking at apt in
Val Claret.... seems good value even at 1/2 term. If you make your own way
with a car full it works aout about 1/2 the cost of a package!

I can highly recommend Val Claret, great, free bus service, immediate access
to slopes and best off all amazing views. It's not surprising Tignes often
gets the first snow being 2100m asl, in fact it's not green up there for
long in Summer.

Joe

Old April 15th 04, 12:50 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Regarding Nevis Range last week,
John Ricketts wrote:
I was there! Skied 6 days running! (but not a lot of vis). Tuesday/wednedsay
were the best with excellent fresh cover allowing good skiing down to the
gondola station.

I'd hardly have called it "good" down to the gondola station; skiable,
yes, but my skis need a full base service now! It also involved clambering
over a deep brook (skis off), and through numerous lesser ones (skis on).
But it was fun anyway!

Kids had a great time too. Now planning the next trip!

Not decided on nex season for sure yet, but we already have a provisional
booking in Switzerland. With an early Easter next year, there could be
some good skiing then too.

Adrian