Numpty Google Earth question

Old January 9th 08, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Default Numpty Google Earth question

It's not in real time, is it? If not, then how far off?

And if there's an option to set it to real time (or close), then how?

Yes, guess who wants to examine the snow cover from altitude, as it
were?

--
K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 SL125
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old January 9th 08, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles, rec.skiing.resorts.europe
AW

On Jan 9, 7:21*am, (The Older
Gentleman) wrote:
It's not in real time, is it? If not, then how far off?

No, not real time and it varies as they update various bits. For
example, the view of Southend Airport didn't show the Vulcan bomber
that lives there for a long time as the composite shots had been taken
at different times and the plane had been moved about the airfield in
between. But it's "back there" now. A lot of the original shots dated
from 2001 but they're constantly adding and improving to it. The view
of my house currently still shows the trees that blew over last year
but does show the car that I bought in 2006.

And if there's an option to set it to real time (or close), then how?

No, you're stuck with what's there.

Yes, guess who wants to examine the snow cover from altitude, as it
were?

Useless for assessing current conditions.

Old January 9th 08, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MikeH

The Older Gentleman wrote:
It's not in real time, is it? If not, then how far off?

And if there's an option to set it to real time (or close), then how?

Yes, guess who wants to examine the snow cover from altitude, as it
were?

Is there an outdoor webcam somewhere in the area?
I bet you could google for it but I wouldn't know where to start.

--
Mike H
GSX750F
Old January 9th 08, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Andy Hewitt

The Older Gentleman wrote:

It's not in real time, is it? If not, then how far off?

In some parts, years!

And if there's an option to set it to real time (or close), then how?

Only for some feratures, such as the sky map.

Yes, guess who wants to examine the snow cover from altitude, as it
were?

You'll need to look at some of the Met Office stuff, here maybe for a
start:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

I doubt you'll see such a thing on Google Earth as yet, the maps are
made from photos made over many years, and take a long time to get
updated, again a timescale of years. There are 'near real time' features
in the paid up versions of it, but only for GPS.

You might have some luck with the addons stuff - there are some weather
plugins, but seem to only show one image every 24 hours.

http://earth.google.com/gallery/index.html

--
Andy Hewitt
http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/
Old January 9th 08, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JB

"The Older Gentleman" wrote in message
news:1iaftfb.17438eu72m76pN%totallydeadmailbox@yah oo.co.uk...
It's not in real time, is it? If not, then how far off?

And if there's an option to set it to real time (or close), then how?

Yes, guess who wants to examine the snow cover from altitude, as it
were?

Have a word over on uk.sci.weather. One of the bods on there may know of a
webcam local to where you're going.

JB

Old January 9th 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
CT

http://www.snoweye.com/

--
Chris
Old January 9th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MikeH

CT wrote:
MikeH wrote:

Is there an outdoor webcam somewhere in the area?
I bet you could google for it but I wouldn't know where to start.

http://www.snoweye.com/

Bugger. There goes another hour.

--
Mike H
GSX750F
Old January 9th 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles, rec.skiing.resorts.europe
TOG@Toil

On 9 Jan, 08:08, Andy Bonwick wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 07:21:30 +0000, (The

Older Gentleman) wrote:
It's not in real time, is it? If not, then how far off?

And if there's an option to set it to real time (or close), then how?

Yes, guess who wants to examine the snow cover from altitude, as it
were?

Have you checked that there isn't a site with a webcam giving real
time pictures? I know it'd only give a limited view of the area but
it'd be a starting point.

Oh yes, there are webcams in the resort. The trouble is that (a) as
you say, they're limited view and (b) the French have an endearing
habit of not running them in real time, if conditions are crappy, but
continuing to show pictures of conditions a few days old.