Ski Boots

Old March 27th 05, 03:38 PM
Michael Chare

Default Ski Boots

For years I have used a pair of rear entry Salomon SX82 ski boots. I have stuck
to these boots partly because they fit my wide feet. In the time that I have
owned the boots (15+ years,) there has been a big improvement in the skis with
the introduction of the modern short carving skis.

What I would like to know is if I treat myself to a new pair of Solomon Pro
Model boots will I experience a similar improvement?
Snow and Rock have these at a reasonable price right now although I would not
use them until next year.

The Pro Model boots are made from a transparent plastic. Will this be compatible
with the boot widening equipment that some ski shops have?

I have been unable to hire a pair of the Pro Model boots to try them out. I did
try on a pair of Solomon Xwave hire boots, but they were to narrow to be worth
bothering with.

--

Michael Chare

Old March 27th 05, 08:38 PM
Iain Miller

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
[...]

I would think you will see a significant improvement. If you look around
you will see very few people selling rear entry boots these days - mostly
because they have found other ways to make it easy to get the boot on & off
combined with much better 4/5 clip fastening systems.

Some brands of boots do come up wider than others & you should talk to the
people at S&R about which boots are suitable for shell adjustment & which
are not. The ultimate solution for those of us with "different" shaped feet
(mine are narrow & shallow & especially narrow at the heel) is to get foam
filled inners & have them conform exactly.

Old March 28th 05, 06:03 AM
AH

[...]

I'm not sure what kind of improvement that you will see, but after reading
about this topic for a while, I think you would be best to go to a boot
fitter and discuss what they think will be best for you, rather than seeing
some boots on special that you think look good..

Some boots are completely unsuitable for particular feet, even with the
fitting techniques they have today.

Old March 28th 05, 08:04 AM
C.O.Jones

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:03:05 +1000, "AH" wrote:

I think you would be best to go to a boot
fitter and discuss what they think will be best for you, rather than seeing
some boots on special that you think look good..

I totally agree. At the start of my last boots purchase I discovered
that the boots I thought looked good would have been totally
unsuitable fro my feet.

Don't forget that you'll have to enjoy or suffer the result of the
fitting for quite some time!

ernest
Old March 28th 05, 09:11 AM
Ian Wilson

Yes, the Pro model boots can be stretched just like any other. It's just a
case of being slightly more careful with the heat gun.

One word of advice is that if you found the X-Wave too narrow, you will
definitely find the Pro too narrow as it has more of a "race-fit" than the
X-Wave. If you have wide feet I would suggest going for an X-Wave 10 (For
the same kind of performance level) and getting it stretched. That's if you
want to stick with Salomon. You could also try the Tecnica Diablo (Flame,
Fire or Magnesium) which have a wide fitting. We don't have many of these
left at Snow and Rock so unless you have tiny feet you may be out of luck
for this season.

What size are your current boots. I could see what we have in stock (I work
at the chertsey branch).

Cheers,

Ian

Old March 28th 05, 11:09 PM
Michael Chare

"Ian Wilson" wrote in message
Yes, the Pro model boots can be stretched just like any other. It's just a
case of being slightly more careful with the heat gun.

One word of advice is that if you found the X-Wave too narrow, you will
definitely find the Pro too narrow as it has more of a "race-fit" than the
X-Wave. If you have wide feet I would suggest going for an X-Wave 10 (For
the same kind of performance level) and getting it stretched. That's if you
want to stick with Salomon. You could also try the Tecnica Diablo (Flame,
Fire or Magnesium) which have a wide fitting. We don't have many of these
left at Snow and Rock so unless you have tiny feet you may be out of luck
for this season.

What size are your current boots. I could see what we have in stock (I work
at the chertsey branch).

In English sizes 7.5 - 8. I have tried on Solomon 27.5.

--

Michael Chare

Old March 29th 05, 09:51 AM
Ian Wilson

Ah. I don't think we have any left in that size. I am off work today and
tomorrow so it would be quicker for you if you gave the store a call on
01932 566886. they will be able to check the stock at all branches and have
them transferred to the branch most convenient to you. This normally only
takes a few days.

Hope that helps,

Ian

Old March 30th 05, 09:57 AM
mutley

"Michael Chare" wrote in message ...
What size are your current boots. I could see what we have in stock (I

work
at the chertsey branch).

In English sizes 7.5 - 8. I have tried on Solomon 27.5.

How reliable are the sizings anyway? English 7.5 - 8 seems quoted as Mondo
26.5/27 and Mondo 27.5 as 8.5 - 9.

My current old boots - very comfy except that I get cold toes - have a 27.5
liner but the shell is stamped inside 26.5-27.5. I have wondered if I would
be better off with a 28 shell and a 27.5 liner. If (maybe a big if) shops
are prepared to swop liners around between shells. Has anyone achieved this
as a customer?

regards,
mutley

Old March 31st 05, 08:41 AM
Sammy

mutley wrote:
My current old boots - very comfy except that I get cold toes - have

a 27.5
liner but the shell is stamped inside 26.5-27.5. I have wondered if I

would
be better off with a 28 shell and a 27.5 liner. If (maybe a big if)

shops
are prepared to swop liners around between shells. Has anyone

achieved this
as a customer?

regards,
mutley

Not quite the same, but when I wore out my original liners (they wore
out at the ankle) the shop re-used my shells and I just had to buy a
pair of new liners. They were actually a different make, but they fit
well. Guess which well known boot fitting shop that was ;-)

If your toes are getting cold, could that be due to the boots being too
tight higher up restricting blood circulation, and not the shell size?
You pretty much want the smallest shell you can get into, IMO.

Sammy

Old April 4th 05, 07:05 AM
Greg Hilton

If (maybe a
big if) shops are prepared to swop liners around between shells. Has
anyone achieved this as a customer?

Profeet in Cham sell boots either complete or shell only, so I suspect that
would be a good starting point.

regards,

Greg