Airline service to Mammoth?

Old March 30th 04, 07:17 PM
tg

Default Airline service to Mammoth?

I have to be in LA late April and was thinking of a quick trip up to Mammoth
for a day or so of spring boarding. I can't find any scheduled air service
direct into Mammoth. Anyone know if there are any smaller/charter service
into Mammoth? Costs??
Thanks

Old March 31st 04, 08:45 PM
The Aikidoka

There is no currently scheduled regular air service into Mammoth.

You could charter your own plane and have someone fly you, but it would cost
you in the $1000 range for th flight. Probably not cost effective.

aiki

Old April 1st 04, 07:57 PM
John Davison

"tg" wrote in message
I have to be in LA late April and was thinking of a quick trip up to

Mammoth
for a day or so of spring boarding. I can't find any scheduled air service
direct into Mammoth. Anyone know if there are any smaller/charter service
into Mammoth? Costs??
Thanks

It's rumored that air service will start in December 2004. Don't hold your breath.

-- John
Old April 1st 04, 09:28 PM
The Aikidoka

It absolutely will NOT start by then.

There is much legal wrangling still going on with many local residents
opposed to the airport expansion. There is also the matter of an EPA
environmental impact study (another one, I've been told) that will need to
be paid for and accomplished, etc.

There are many phases of the Intrawest renovation of Mammoth Mountain that
hinge on the airport being opened to scheduled service.

Interested parties are waiting to see how it's going to shake out.

aiki

"John Davison" wrote in message
om...

Old April 3rd 04, 03:55 AM
John Davison

"The Aikidoka" wrote in message ...
It absolutely will NOT start by then.

There is much legal wrangling still going on with many local residents
opposed to the airport expansion. There is also the matter of an EPA
environmental impact study (another one, I've been told) that will need to
be paid for and accomplished, etc.

There are many phases of the Intrawest renovation of Mammoth Mountain that
hinge on the airport being opened to scheduled service.

Interested parties are waiting to see how it's going to shake out.

aiki

I don't see how they will make air service profitable. Don't get me
wrong, Mammoth is my "home" mountain. But if I am going to fork over
money to fly someplace, I would not go to Mammoth. It's an awesome
place to ride, but beyond that it's lacking (i.e. nightlife).
Considering the other options like Whistler, Vail and Tahoe, Mammoth
can't compete.

If I were Intrawest I would not try to turn Mammoth into another
Whistler. Instead I would go after the southwest market. Instead of
offering jet service from New York, they should offer turbo prop
service from places like San Diego, LA, Orange County, San Jose, San
Fran., Las Vegas, etc.

-- John