Ski bag reccomendations...

Old September 5th 04, 08:42 PM
Le Dieu

Default Ski bag reccomendations...

Finally caved in and bought my first pair of skis, having always said that
it's far too much trouble lugging them around I'll just hire in resort.
(Salomon Crossmax 8s, reduced to £290)

I'd also said the same of boots but bought my own two years ago and they fit
like slippers so I can't reccommend buying these highly enough if anyone's
wavering.

Anyone got any tips for a ski bag? I might buy the wife a pair for Christmas
so a double bag would be good. Are wheels useful or just a gimmick?

Thanks,

A. D.

Old September 6th 04, 08:33 AM
Paul

I got a ski tube last year, holds 2 pair of ski's and other stuff, has
wheels and is great apart from the price.... although this is not that bad
considering that the box will probably last you forever. I have had 2 normal
ski bags in about 20 years and although they lasted(well I still have them
and they still work!) they look knackered, I think the luggage handelers try
extra hard to rip and dammage new bags, happens to any bag I get new, first
trip out and its ripped or damaged in some way. Another good point is that
the box is really easy to find when in a big pile at the airport, and if it
is at the bottom of the pile it can be slid out without moving all the other
pairs of ski's on top.

Paul

Old September 6th 04, 09:14 AM
Ace

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:42:17 GMT, "Le Dieu" wrote:

Anyone got any tips for a ski bag? I might buy the wife a pair for Christmas
so a double bag would be good. Are wheels useful or just a gimmick?

Dunno if they still do them, but we've got a Snow & Rock own brand
double bag, with wheels at one end, which did us fine for a year or
three. Soft bag, but well padded, and a hard bit at the end for the
wheels to mount on. I found I could get both pairs of skis _and_ boots
into it, together with miscellaneous bits of clothing.

Made it dead handy when flying, as just one ski bag, whether paid
extra or not, held most of the heavy kit and allowed us to take a lot
more. Some airlines may[1] weigh ski bags nowadays, though, so be
careful.

[1] Not had to fly with skis for some years now, so I'm not too sure
of the exact situation.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 6th 04, 09:53 PM
John Elgy

Paul wrote:
I would also reccomend the double ski tube. It is a bit heavier than the
soft bag, but it ties easily on the roof of the car with no flapping and
no bent ski poles if you put in an aircraft. And the wheels are
really, really useful for lugging 2 pairs of skis about.

As for price - it is expensive for a ski bag, but dead cheep for a roof box.

John

Old September 6th 04, 11:15 PM
Le Dieu

Ace wrote:
[...]

Thanks for these everyone.

A. D.

Old September 9th 04, 07:11 PM
Steve Haigh

Ace wrote:

Some airlines may[1] weigh ski bags nowadays, though, so be
careful.

[1] Not had to fly with skis for some years now, so I'm not too sure
of the exact situation.

Some airlines are starting to weigh ski bags, some don't. I think Swiss
did last year, but Air Canada didn't (but I might have got that the
wrong way around). When they were weighed them I had to balance them on
the check-in desk scales, so I reckon 1/2 the weight was taken by
gripping them me anyway.

Some airlines also insist the only skis go in a ski bag - can't remember
who - but they were clear that no clothes or boots would be allowed in a
ski bag. I think this was Air Canada, and I think they had no weight
restriction on the skis, hence the rule being introduced to stop people
abusing the system. Maybe someone with a better memory can confirm or
correct me on this:-)
Old September 9th 04, 07:15 PM
Rob White

Be careful with a bag with wheels - if you prop it up on end (as we all do)
it'll roll back down and smack you (or more likely a complete stranger) in
the ankles.

Rob

Old September 10th 04, 07:45 AM
Paul Schofield

"Rob White" wrote in message
Be careful with a bag with wheels - if you prop it up on end (as we all

do)
it'll roll back down and smack you (or more likely a complete stranger) in
the ankles.

Tee hee - thanks for a good laugh at other peoples' misfortunes on an
otherwise tedious Friday morning :-)

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old September 10th 04, 09:28 AM
Paul

Slightly off topic here but........

I think that anyone who books a ski holiday should be given some kind of
test relating to the transport of skiis, not just in the airport but around
resort also. Every year you see the same things happening with people
carrying skiis carelessly, they swing around wildly and take a few people
out. In particular I get really mad with the people who stand in the lift
queues and hold there ski poles horizontally, the ends on the poles can be
quite sharp.

Paul

Old September 10th 04, 10:14 AM
Ace

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:28:55 +0100, "Paul"
wrote:

Slightly off topic here but........

I think that anyone who books a ski holiday should be given some kind of
test relating to the transport of skiis, not just in the airport but around
resort also. Every year you see the same things happening with people
carrying skiis carelessly, they swing around wildly and take a few people
out. In particular I get really mad with the people who stand in the lift
queues and hold there ski poles horizontally, the ends on the poles can be
quite sharp.

True, very true.

The worst I found was in Soldeu last season, where it seemed than many
people preferred to stand in the lift queue without their skis on,
then push their way to the front and block everybody else while they
put their skis on.

Of course, I always did my utmost to a) not let them push through and
b) walk straight over them as they tried to put their skis on ;-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)