Trip report Bear Mt. - 12-7-10

Old December 8th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Default Trip report Bear Mt. - 12-7-10

On Dec 8, 9:54*am, pigo wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:30*am, Richard Henry wrote:

How does the Conoco fuel meet the osygenate requirement without
ethanol? *MTBE?

I don't know. I know that they advertise it as "no ethenol" 100%
gasoline, and that's why I buy it. I do know that ethenol is bad for
the seals and stuff. It's also hard on an engine especially in high
temps. It gets hot in Southern Utah. I get better mileage too. About
20%. But at 10 mpg I'll take it!!!!!!

Holy ****. Brain Fried Bob Thompson claims to be worried about the
"seals and stuff". But he drives a ****ing pussy truck that gets 10
mpg.
Would one of you freaks PLEASE tell him to stop drinking? He has no
clue whatsoever about how deranged he is.
Old December 8th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 8, 9:54*am, pigo wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:30*am, Richard Henry wrote:

How does the Conoco fuel meet the osygenate requirement without
ethanol? *MTBE?

I don't know. I know that they advertise it as "no ethenol" 100%
gasoline, and that's why I buy it. I do know that ethenol is bad for
the seals and stuff. It's also hard on an engine especially in high
temps. It gets hot in Southern Utah. I get better mileage too. About
20%. But at 10 mpg I'll take it!!!!!!

Better store it up. Conoco says they will start producing E10 soon to
be in accord with Federal law. Th edelay had to do with changing out
fuel tanks and distribution piping, since E10 can absorb water and
there is therefore a risk of rust in older systems.

I think you can still get non-ethanol gas at general aviation
airports, but it is 100-octane or higher and leaded.
Old December 8th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:36:01 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote:

On Dec 8, 9:54*am, pigo wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:30*am, Richard Henry wrote:

How does the Conoco fuel meet the osygenate requirement without
ethanol? *MTBE?

I don't know. I know that they advertise it as "no ethenol" 100%
gasoline, and that's why I buy it. I do know that ethenol is bad for
the seals and stuff. It's also hard on an engine especially in high
temps. It gets hot in Southern Utah. I get better mileage too. About
20%. But at 10 mpg I'll take it!!!!!!

Better store it up. Conoco says they will start producing E10 soon to
be in accord with Federal law. Th edelay had to do with changing out
fuel tanks and distribution piping, since E10 can absorb water and
there is therefore a risk of rust in older systems.

I think you can still get non-ethanol gas at general aviation
airports, but it is 100-octane or higher and leaded.

Trying to find gas for my boat that do not contain "e" is a major
problem

Old December 8th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 8, 4:12*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:
In article
,
*Richard Henry wrote:

On Dec 8, 9:54 am, pigo wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:30 am, Richard Henry wrote:

How does the Conoco fuel meet the osygenate requirement without
ethanol? MTBE?

I don't know. I know that they advertise it as "no ethenol" 100%
gasoline, and that's why I buy it. I do know that ethenol is bad for
the seals and stuff. It's also hard on an engine especially in high
temps. It gets hot in Southern Utah. I get better mileage too. About
20%. But at 10 mpg I'll take it!!!!!!

Better store it up. *Conoco says they will start producing E10 soon to
be in accord with Federal law. *Th edelay had to do with changing out
fuel tanks and distribution piping, since E10 can absorb water and
there is therefore a risk of rust in older systems.

I think you can still get non-ethanol gas at general aviation
airports, but it is 100-octane or higher and leaded.

* If the gasoline/fuel is dyed pink/red or green, a person should not
get near the stuff for their car, because they can get in a huge trouble
because aviation and ship diesel isn't tax the same way as
gasoline/diesel for automobiles. There are some really hefty fines. *

* *I remember in Southern California near Pacific Palisades there was a
Gas Station that sold 130 Octane for the locals in the neighborhood with
high performance sport cars, I forgot the price, but I think it was some
absurd amount before Gas went way up, I think it was 6 or more dollars a
gallon and that was 15-16 years ago.

I remember sailors at Pt. Mugu getting in trouble for stealing gas
because they did not know about the dye.
Old December 8th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 12/07/2010 09:23 PM, VtSkier wrote:
On 12/07/2010 09:16 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 7, 5:21 pm, Richard wrote:
Icy and cold. More later. I need a shower. And a beer.

Shower done, and I now have an icy cold Noche Buena in front of me, so
here goes;

Left at 5AM, arrived about 7:20. Stopped for gas before heading up
the hill, but I should have waited - gas was cheaper in Big Bear that
in Loma Linda.

Sunny, cold and windless today. Locals said there had been 2 days of
rain that soaked the snow without melting much of it, then they
groomed the wet snow last night - and then it froze all the way to the
ground. The result was icy washboard, rivaling New England's finest.
I found the best conditions were where a lot of snowboards had already
gone down, grinding the top surface into loose granular (note to
snowboard haters - they do have a useful function). However, the
boarders stayed away from the more interesting open runs, Exhibition
and Showtime, so they stayed icy all day.

After a couple of hours, I took the shuttle over to Snow Summit for a
few runs. Same conditions there - icy surface being ground in places
into loose granular.

I shuttled back, made a few more runs, and then left about 2 PM when
my feet started cramping from fighting the ice.

No Coronado run tonight, just straight home - 132 miles. Poway plays
in the Coronado Tournament Final tomorrow at 6:30 PM, and my wife has
given me permission to skip her group's non=holiday party.

Better than that at Killington last Friday after the rain.

Guns started up as soon as cold enough and were used to
resurface frozen surface. I found a few mounds of muck
one of which caught me and enforced an over-the-handlebars
type of roll. But up higher it was OK. I'm probably going
to resample conditions tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Mountains north of here got as much as 18" of blower which
will be all blown off by tomorrow. Maybe the woods will
begin to get good.

Killington got about 6" of the light stuff. A buddy said it
was good today. We'll see how tomorrow is. They should
be blowing lots of snow and opening up more terrain with
Skye Peak open by the weekend. Maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Ayup, I got lucky. Beautiful sunny day. COLD! 9 degrees at
K-base and 7 at the top. Interestingly it was only windy
in the parking lot. It was hell walking from my car to the
lodge and from the lodge back to my car at the end of the
day.

Snow was great and soft. Never got skied off much until
after 2PM. That's when I left since the light was
getting flat at that hour too. A couple of spots had
POWDER blowing up to my thighs.

Skye Peak was open with Superstar chair running. Skyelark
was open top to bottom with lower Bittersweet for those
who don't like Lower Skyelark. The Superstar headwall and
Middle Superstar to High Road were also open for a fair
amount of skiing on that side.

K-Peak is getting more open and better conditions by the
day. Almost all of Snowdon is open except Great Bear and
North Star (natural snow only).

Rams Head should be open for skiing (lift is open to get
from that base to the rest of the mountain) by the
weekend. They are hitting Header very hard. It was almost
skiable today. It probably was skiable, but I don't
duck ropes onto a trail under a lift. It's just plain
stupid.

Way over east, Skyeship and Bear should be open by
Christmas.

Pico should open by the end of next week. Their
snowmaking isn't yet up to the rest of Killington and
so it takes longer for them to get open 100%.

Then we got news that Syracuse got four feet with more
to come on Friday. What a waste. It's FLAT in that
part of New York state.

I wonder if Whiteface got some of that lake effect
snow. It would be good for them.
Old December 8th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

wrote:

On Dec 8, 10:30 am, Richard Henry wrote:

How does the Conoco fuel meet the osygenate requirement without
ethanol? MTBE?

I don't know. I know that they advertise it as "no ethenol" 100%
gasoline, and that's why I buy it. I do know that ethenol is bad for
the seals and stuff. It's also hard on an engine especially in high
temps. It gets hot in Southern Utah. I get better mileage too. About
20%. But at 10 mpg I'll take it!!!!!!

10 MPG? driving....

03 GMC crew w 6.0. I could get more but I don't like to be behind
anyone. Anyone might be the person that goes 10 under the speed limit,
cruises in the left lane, doesn't signal, the usual. And I cruise at
at least 5 over all the time. I've squeezed 13/14 out of it but that's
rare.
Old December 9th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 8, 4:57*pm, Dick G wrote:

Trying to find gas for my boat that do not contain "e" is a major
problem

When I was in the boat and water skiing race thing, 100 octane fuel
was the norm for racing. Aquired at nearby airports.

These days I guess you can get fuel saver that you can add to gasoline
then run it through yard equipment at the end of summer to keep seals
from drying out. But I'm sticking with no ethonol for as long as I can
get it.

At the end of summer I just pour the 50/50 mixed gas for my chainsaw
into my truck, a mostly full tank of course, and it runs fine. Usually
about a gallon or so to 20-25 gallons of gas.

Old December 9th 10, 11:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:33:02 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

Skye Peak was open with Superstar chair running. Skyelark
was open top to bottom with lower Bittersweet for those
who don't like Lower Skyelark. The Superstar headwall and
Middle Superstar to High Road were also open for a fair
amount of skiing on that side.

How was Outer Limits?

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

Merry Christmas everyone. God bless us all.

Big Bear trip report 1-24-10 Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 12 February 2nd 10 03:16 AM
EOY Trip Report helibrdr Alpine Skiing 0 April 25th 08 02:18 PM
Great Bear Chase Report BeeCharmer Nordic Skiing 1 March 8th 04 05:37 PM
Ischgl trip report hhh European Ski Resorts 6 February 16th 04 04:21 PM