Waxless Fischer country crown grip

Old December 17th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Novice Skier

Default Waxless Fischer country crown grip

I am skiing with 200cm Fischer waxless country crown skis
and weigh 152lbs.

On Dec 8 I was skiing Hubbard hill in New Hampsire and
my skis climbed well. The temperature was 30 deg F.

On Dec. 16 I skied the Kilburn Pond loop and the skis gave
little or no grip leading me to take them off and walk some
of the steeper portions of the trail. The temperture was 22 deg F
that day with 8 to 10 inches of powder snow.

What can I do to make these skis climb better? Is the poor grip
a chacteristic of this ski? The grip pattern is cut into the base
of the ski. Can you put grip wax on this ski and not spoil
the waxless grip when the temp gets to 32?

George in New Hampshire

Old December 17th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jonathan Scheuch

On Dec 17, 9:16 am, Novice Skier wrote:
I am skiing with 200cm Fischer waxless country crown skis
and weigh 152lbs.

On Dec 8 I was skiing Hubbard hill in New Hampsire and
my skis climbed well. The temperature was 30 deg F.

On Dec. 16 I skied the Kilburn Pond loop and the skis gave
little or no grip leading me to take them off and walk some
of the steeper portions of the trail. The temperture was 22 deg F
that day with 8 to 10 inches of powder snow.

What can I do to make these skis climb better? Is the poor grip
a chacteristic of this ski? The grip pattern is cut into the base
of the ski. Can you put grip wax on this ski and not spoil
the waxless grip when the temp gets to 32?

George in New Hampshire

When you are climbing a hill, at some point the hill will get steep
enough that your grip zone will be insufficient to provide traction.
At that point you have to dig in your inside edges and herringbone up
the hill.

Jonathan in New Hampshire
Old December 17th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba

Novice Skier wrote:
I am skiing with 200cm Fischer waxless country crown skis
and weigh 152lbs.

On Dec 8 I was skiing Hubbard hill in New Hampsire and
my skis climbed well. The temperature was 30 deg F.

On Dec. 16 I skied the Kilburn Pond loop and the skis gave
little or no grip leading me to take them off and walk some
of the steeper portions of the trail. The temperture was 22 deg F
that day with 8 to 10 inches of powder snow.

What can I do to make these skis climb better? Is the poor grip
a chacteristic of this ski? The grip pattern is cut into the base
of the ski. Can you put grip wax on this ski and not spoil
the waxless grip when the temp gets to 32?

George in New Hampshire

The grip pattern is for stride and glide. Its not a climbing aid.

The title word waxless is a misnomer any way. The whole essence of our skiing is
the glide and you must put glide wax before the grip pattern and behind it.
Yes you can put the grip wax of the day on the grip pattern but its to aid that
kick and glide action, plus its fiddly to remove later.
My Fischer country crowns were great for the younger lighter me but now my heavier
weight causes the grip pattern to drag somewhat, so I put glide wax on the sloping
part. Thats fiddly too, but I've got the time and the patience to experiment.
Mike
Old December 17th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Booker Bense

In article ,
Novice Skier wrote:

On Dec. 16 I skied the Kilburn Pond loop and the skis gave
little or no grip leading me to take them off and walk some
of the steeper portions of the trail. The temperture was 22 deg F
that day with 8 to 10 inches of powder snow.

Waxless skis have trouble in new light cold snow and hard icy
snow. In general the easier it is to make a snow ball the better
they work. If you're doing most of your skiing in cold dry snow,
waxing is well worth the time and trouble.

What can I do to make these skis climb better?

Oddly enough, glide waxing the WHOLE ski with something like Swix
F4 or a universal paste wax, will not only make it faster, but
also improve the climbing ability. However, there are some
conditions where waxless skis just don't do well and vice
versa. (ie. waxless skis are at their best when waxing
is really difficult i.e. near 32deg F).

Is the poor grip
a chacteristic of this ski? The grip pattern is cut into the base
of the ski.

Negative patterns tend to be the poorest climbers of the various
waxless bases, but they are also the fastest. The other advantage
is that you can easily kick wax them in difficult for waxless
conditions.

Can you put grip wax on this ski and not spoil
the waxless grip when the temp gets to 32?

Yes, it's best to apply the kick wax in thin smooth
layers and cleaning the ski can be a PITA. Colder kick
waxes generally glide just fine in warmer
snow as long as the wax is applied smoothly enough.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old December 19th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Dec 17, 3:16 pm, Novice Skier wrote:
I am skiing with 200cm Fischer waxless country crown skis
and weigh 152lbs.

On Dec 8 I was skiing Hubbard hill in New Hampsire and
my skis climbed well. The temperature was 30 deg F.

On Dec. 16 I skied the Kilburn Pond loop and the skis gave
little or no grip leading me to take them off and walk some
of the steeper portions of the trail. The temperture was 22 deg F
that day with 8 to 10 inches of powder snow.

What can I do to make these skis climb better? Is the poor grip
a chacteristic of this ski? The grip pattern is cut into the base
of the ski. Can you put grip wax on this ski and not spoil
the waxless grip when the temp gets to 32?

George in New Hampshire

I have never used waxless skis, so I'm not really qualified to make
any comparisons, but dealing with wax isn't that hard. And wax gives a
wider total range of usable conditions.

Like anything, it can be taken to an extreme and become a subtle
artform indistinguishable from magic, but for normal use, all you need
is 2-3 different waxes. Just look at the temp, rub the one that makes
sense on and go. In 0C conditions, no wax and a herringbone pattern in
the sole with sandpaper works well enough.

Joseph
Old December 19th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
shreddir

OK here's the deal with Fischer crown bases, A couple of years ago I was
trying out waxless skis at a demo day for NorCal retailers at the gouge..err
I mean Royal Gorge and found that when I tried to short cut thru some 8 inch
powder sectionsto another groomed track loop, I was hardly getting any grip.
Then when I took out a similar purpose Rossi it worked much better in the
same situation even the Rossi base had a supposedly an inferior extruded
p-tex that has a positive (raised) pattern that looks kind of similar to the
old fishscales use by the now defunct Trak skis. Our Rossignol rep to this
day still claims at our pre-season store staff clinics that their waxless
pattern can't be beat in loose unconsolidated snow. And no I've never told
him about my experience on that demo day.

However there is no doubt that Fischer uses a higher quality sintered base
which can be saturated with hot glide wax on the tips/tails and whose
negative pattern will keep its original sharpness much longer on icy
abrasive snow over numerous seasons, so if you ski most of the time on well
groomed tracks your crown grip should be fine. Go pick up a used Rossi at a
ski swap if you want to have alternative.

"Novice Skier" wrote in message
I am skiing with 200cm Fischer waxless country crown skis
and weigh 152lbs.

On Dec 8 I was skiing Hubbard hill in New Hampsire and
my skis climbed well. The temperature was 30 deg F.

On Dec. 16 I skied the Kilburn Pond loop and the skis gave
little or no grip leading me to take them off and walk some
of the steeper portions of the trail. The temperture was 22 deg F
that day with 8 to 10 inches of powder snow.

What can I do to make these skis climb better? Is the poor grip
a chacteristic of this ski? The grip pattern is cut into the base
of the ski. Can you put grip wax on this ski and not spoil
the waxless grip when the temp gets to 32?

George in New Hampshire

Getting better grip with waxless skis, Part 2 Micheal Artindale Nordic Skiing 4 March 23rd 05 02:23 AM
getting better grip with waxless skis Micheal Artindale Nordic Skiing 13 March 21st 05 09:26 PM
XC-wax or waxless? Jack Pagel General 0 February 21st 04 04:55 PM
Anyone ridden a Palmer crown? which board next question? Nick Snowboarding 3 January 22nd 04 02:41 AM