Help pick my new skiis

Old October 20th 03, 01:26 AM
DT

Default Help pick my new skiis

All those listed are excellent skis - big price difference between some
though.

"Walt" wrote in message
HK wrote:
I've been snowboarding exclusively for the past 4 seasons but want to

get
back on two board this year. Last skiis I had were Rossignol 4SKs at

205cm.
These are old school straight skiis.

I ski mostly Eastern groomed stuff with a bit of ice. I'm an

aggressive,
advanced skier last time I checked. 5'10", 190lbs. I'm considering

Salomon
Crossmax 10 at 170cm. Too short? Any alternatives in the way of a

stiff
carving ski?

Like you, I ski mostly groomed extra-firm . My $.02

Volkl P-50 Platinum
Atomic C9
Dynastar Speed Carve 63
Head IC 160

I tried the Crossmax 10. It was ok to good. I liked the ones above
better. YMMV.

//-Walt

Old October 20th 03, 02:23 AM
Walt

Default 170cm is okay? Rugby!

ant wrote:
Walt wrote:

I switched off when I read Salomon Crossmax. They are too bloody soft in the
shovel.

I thought they were mushy and imprecise. I chalked it up to the Pilot
binding system, but it could be the ski.

Maybe I'll even find out about the Rugby eventually...

US plays Scotland tonight (it's 11.50am Monday now, the game is at 7.30pm
tonight) so it's an ideal time to learn. I think your team is about to learn
some new stuff. Although in their first hit-out against Fiji, they damn near
scored an upset win. The US is in Pool B, with France (looking bloody
strong), Scotland, Fiji and Japan, who are looking to be the giant killers
of the World Cup, they fought right to the very end of their match against
France, gutsy lot they are.

Uh, this might sound stupid, but is the US team composed of men or women?

I've never seen men play rugby in the states.

I'll be watching the US match this evening with great interest.
heh, I just realised, US vs France will be interesting, given the

recent
anti-french thing in the US. Is that still going on?

The anti French thing seems to have abated and we've returned to our
normal base-line dislike of the French. No more, no less. The
typical American who might have been caught up in the anti-French
hysteria is about as concerned with the French beating us at rugby as
he would worry about losing the luge or synchronized swimming.

IOW, until there's a French NASCAR team, all is forgotten.

//walt
//
// The Volkl Conspiracy

Old October 20th 03, 06:09 AM
lal truckee

DT wrote:

Last year I made the big switch from 204 cm Olin skis to 185 cm Atomic C
9:20. I'm 5 ft 10 and 190 ibs. Fantastic - one I got the hang of the
parabolic technique I've been having the time of my life which should end
soon because I've become 10 times the aggressive skier that I was. The
Atomic C 9:20 is essentially the same as the more common C 9:18.

The change in technique was from feet close together to feet about a foot
apart and when you make the turn just throw your whole body down the slope
and the skis will follow.

Funny - that works on any ski since sidecut was invented, oh, maybe 90
years ago. Check pictures of good skiers from the 1920s and 30s.

Old October 20th 03, 06:10 AM
lal truckee

Default 170cm is okay?

Walt wrote:

HK wrote:

Thanks for all comments. I was really looking for confirmation that
170 was
an okay length for me. Being from the old school, it just seems really
strange to be considering something that short. In fact, they would be
shorter than my carving snowboard which is 174cm.

Yes 170 is OK. My regular ski partner is a 250+ lb 6'6"
very-large-dude. He recently acquired a pair of 160cm Atomic SL9's and
skis the Sh*t out of them.

Whether 170 is *optimal* is another matter...personally, I like a longer
wheelbase for navigating the afternoon skied-out crud.

Buk, short is in. If you really don't like the skis, you can sell them
at a swap as long as they're reasonably short. Try unloading a pair of
200cm skis - good luck!

What you got?

Old October 20th 03, 09:25 AM
MoonMan

In , Walt typed:
ant wrote:
Walt wrote:

I switched off when I read Salomon Crossmax. They are too bloody
soft in the shovel.

I thought they were mushy and imprecise. I chalked it up to the Pilot
binding system, but it could be the ski.

I thought it was the ski, but as I normally ski equipe 10 3v's downtuned
skis like the crossmax often feel mushy,

on the rugby front they where saying on Radio 4 this morning that Scotland
where planning a passing game to try to counter the USA's (gridiron based)
flatten the opposition aproach.

We shall have to wait and see.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 20th 03, 12:54 PM
ant

MoonMan wrote:
In , Walt typed:

I thought they were mushy and imprecise. I chalked it up to the
Pilot binding system, but it could be the ski.

I thought it was the ski, but as I normally ski equipe 10 3v's
downtuned skis like the crossmax often feel mushy,

I like the 3vs! Can't afford them though.

on the rugby front they where saying on Radio 4 this morning that
Scotland where planning a passing game to try to counter the USA's
(gridiron based) flatten the opposition aproach.

We shall have to wait and see.

Well, their defence was described by one bloke as "stout". I think the Scots
ran in 4 tries, plus assorted other pointage. No tries for the US (as the
Miami herald says, 'they are like touchdowns in Gridiron"...didn't get any
of those).
So no giantkilling from the US, back to barracking for the Japanese, and
Namibia.

ant

Old October 20th 03, 01:50 PM
MoonMan

In , ant typed:
MoonMan wrote:
In , Walt typed:

I thought they were mushy and imprecise. I chalked it up to the
Pilot binding system, but it could be the ski.

I thought it was the ski, but as I normally ski equipe 10 3v's
downtuned skis like the crossmax often feel mushy,

I like the 3vs! Can't afford them though.

Paying for slalom ski's is the main reason I can't have a "quiver full"
though I do hope to get some 1080's to go with them as they do sometimes get
a bit "interesting" off piste.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 20th 03, 02:05 PM
Walt

lal truckee wrote:

Walt wrote:
Try unloading a pair of 200cm skis - good luck!

What you got?

Nothing that you'd be interested in (well maybe you'd be interested in
what's in the beer vault, but definitely not the skis).

I visited the Mt. Trashmore swap over the weekend - they had the skis
sorted by length and the area with the long skis was pretty much
deserted.

You probably could have picked up a quiver full for a song.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 21st 03, 12:50 AM
ant

Default 170cm is okay? Slaloms

MoonMan wrote:
In , ant typed:
MoonMan wrote:
In , Walt typed:

I thought they were mushy and imprecise. I chalked it up to the
Pilot binding system, but it could be the ski.

I thought it was the ski, but as I normally ski equipe 10 3v's
downtuned skis like the crossmax often feel mushy,

I like the 3vs! Can't afford them though.

Paying for slalom ski's is the main reason I can't have a "quiver
full" though I do hope to get some 1080's to go with them as they do
sometimes get a bit "interesting" off piste.

I haven't had a proper pair of slaloms since I moved onto shaped skis. All
mountain midfats were a better compromise. But this season I got some
Stoeckli Spirit Pros, same shape as the Laser SC, so not really a slalom,
but with a nice tight sidecut and has slalom characteristics. I haven't had
such a narrow waist in years. These skis are a bit softer than the race
line, so they are OK all-mountain, although I didn't like them in shin deep
heavy fresh, I suspect that was more the tight sidecut though. They hung up
a bit and twitched.
They have 2 layers of metal yet still manage to be quite floppy! They are OK
in bumps, the wide aggressive tails keep you honest though.

ant

Old October 21st 03, 10:48 AM
MoonMan

In , ant typed:
MoonMan wrote:
In , ant typed:
MoonMan wrote:
In , Walt typed:

[...]

I use some second hand Laser SC's for training, (Plastic kills skis) and
when i change to the 3v's for a race or for snow the first turn always gives
me a shock, the difference in grip is unbelievable! mind you at 16st 7lb I
suspect am a bit heavy for the 168's though not the 3v's.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk