Help pick my new skiis

Old October 19th 03, 04:22 AM
HK

Default Help pick my new skiis

I've been snowboarding exclusively for the past 4 seasons but want to get
back on two board this year. Last skiis I had were Rossignol 4SKs at 205cm.
These are old school straight skiis.

I ski mostly Eastern groomed stuff with a bit of ice. I'm an aggressive,
advanced skier last time I checked. 5'10", 190lbs. I'm considering Salomon
Crossmax 10 at 170cm. Too short? Any alternatives in the way of a stiff
carving ski?

TIA,

HK

Old October 19th 03, 06:23 AM
Alan Baker

In article ,
"HK" wrote:

I've been snowboarding exclusively for the past 4 seasons but want to get
back on two board this year. Last skiis I had were Rossignol 4SKs at 205cm.
These are old school straight skiis.

I ski mostly Eastern groomed stuff with a bit of ice. I'm an aggressive,
advanced skier last time I checked. 5'10", 190lbs. I'm considering Salomon
Crossmax 10 at 170cm. Too short? Any alternatives in the way of a stiff
carving ski?

TIA,

HK

Funny you should mention!

I'm a pretty aggressive skier who grew up skiing in southern Ontario on
exactly the same conditions, and I'm 5'10" tall and about 195 lbs.

I bought Crossmax 10s in 185cm last season and I like them a lot, but if
I had it to do over again, I'd probably go at least a little shorter.
They're a fairly heavy ski, and I think I'd prefer a little less moment
of inertia and live with a little less float in the deep stuff. Since
you're talking about skiing groomed, I wouldn't hesitate on going
shorter than I did. Even down to 170cm.

(And don't tell my brother this, but I'm not sure I shouldn't have just
bought the same Atomic BetaCarve 9.22s that he has. They're a very sweet
combination of capabilities for a variety of conditions. g)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old October 19th 03, 11:44 AM
Flyfire

Are you familiar with carvers?
I know it might seem obvious but you do not state this.
If you can carve 205 straights but you are not familiar with carvers, you
soon will be once you don a pair!
If you are familiar with carvers - What have you been waiting for??

I am 210lb and 5'9'' (No fat ass comments please - I do try)
I have just purchased Volkl 6* at 175cm, which have had several personal
reccomendations to me and would be direct competition to the crossmax.
Unfortunately I can't recommend them personally as I haven't skied them yet.
My legs are twitching waiting for the new season.

Regards,

Steve

Old October 19th 03, 03:55 PM
DT

Last year I made the big switch from 204 cm Olin skis to 185 cm Atomic C
9:20. I'm 5 ft 10 and 190 ibs. Fantastic - one I got the hang of the
parabolic technique I've been having the time of my life which should end
soon because I've become 10 times the aggressive skier that I was. The
Atomic C 9:20 is essentially the same as the more common C 9:18.

The change in technique was from feet close together to feet about a foot
apart and when you make the turn just throw your whole body down the slope
and the skis will follow.

Old October 19th 03, 10:23 PM
Walt

HK wrote:
I've been snowboarding exclusively for the past 4 seasons but want to get
back on two board this year. Last skiis I had were Rossignol 4SKs at 205cm.
These are old school straight skiis.

I ski mostly Eastern groomed stuff with a bit of ice. I'm an aggressive,
advanced skier last time I checked. 5'10", 190lbs. I'm considering Salomon
Crossmax 10 at 170cm. Too short? Any alternatives in the way of a stiff
carving ski?

Like you, I ski mostly groomed extra-firm . My $.02

Volkl P-50 Platinum
Atomic C9
Dynastar Speed Carve 63
Head IC 160

I tried the Crossmax 10. It was ok to good. I liked the ones above
better. YMMV.

//-Walt

Old October 20th 03, 12:20 AM
HK

Default 170cm is okay?

Thanks for all comments. I was really looking for confirmation that 170 was
an okay length for me. Being from the old school, it just seems really
strange to be considering something that short. In fact, they would be
shorter than my carving snowboard which is 174cm.

Old October 20th 03, 12:36 AM
ant

HK wrote:
Thanks for all comments. I was really looking for confirmation that
170 was an okay length for me. Being from the old school, it just
seems really strange to be considering something that short. In
fact, they would be shorter than my carving snowboard which is 174cm.

How heavy and how tall are you, and what is the ski model (ie a high end,
more aggressive ski or a softish ski?). 170cm does tend to be a OK
recreational length for blokes.

ant

Old October 20th 03, 12:44 AM
Walt

HK wrote:
Thanks for all comments. I was really looking for confirmation that 170 was
an okay length for me. Being from the old school, it just seems really
strange to be considering something that short. In fact, they would be
shorter than my carving snowboard which is 174cm.

Yes 170 is OK. My regular ski partner is a 250+ lb 6'6"
very-large-dude. He recently acquired a pair of 160cm Atomic SL9's
and skis the Sh*t out of them.

Whether 170 is *optimal* is another matter...personally, I like a
longer wheelbase for navigating the afternoon skied-out crud.

Buk, short is in. If you really don't like the skis, you can sell them
at a swap as long as they're reasonably short. Try unloading a pair
of 200cm skis - good luck!

One more piece of advice: If you get the chance, check out the
Salomons with and without the Pilot binding system. You might like
the newfangled adaptive bindings, or you might not. Personally, I
find the Motion/Pilot/et.al. systems to be mushy and imprecise. YMMV.

//Walt

Old October 20th 03, 01:03 AM
Walt

ant wrote:
HK wrote:

5'10", 190lbs. I'm considering Salomon Crossmax 10 at 170cm.

Thanks for all comments. I was really looking for confirmation that
170 was an okay length for me. Being from the old school, it just
seems really strange to be considering something that short. In
fact, they would be shorter than my carving snowboard which is 174cm.

How heavy and how tall are you, and what is the ski model (ie a high end,
more aggressive ski or a softish ski?). 170cm does tend to be a OK
recreational length for blokes.

See above. Does information take a while to cross the international
dateline? I think so - I just heard about Matthew Hayden's amazing
380 run stand this morning. Maybe I'll even find out about the Rugby
eventually...

//Walt
//
//Charter member of The Volkl Conspiracy