Powder question

Old January 28th 04, 02:24 PM
TreeSkier

"
I would like somebody in the group to give me a quick tutorial on
skiing powder. I feel like I'm skiing in quicksand, when I'm in the
powder. I have great difficulty making turns. The pole just sinks when
I try to use it to help me pivot. It looks like people that ski the
powder well just jump from left to right and right to left to make
turns. Is this all there is to it ?

The big secret to powder skiing is understanding that you must follow
your skis rather than turning them.

On packed runs one can carve, twist, slide, and pivot the ski. In
powder one guides the ski through the snow. Focus on just riding the
ski rather than driving it. Use the knees to turn the ski. Keep your
weight relatively evenly distributed on both skis. Do not pivot or
twist. Resist steering with your heels. Keep your shoulders pointed
down hill. Push the knees left or right and stay evenly balanced on
the ski as it turns.

Use shaped skis. Use wide skis. Pocket Rockets can not be beat for
most powder skiing.

Once you get it you will never want to ski on packed runs again.

Old January 29th 04, 04:28 AM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
I don't know about that.

Personally, I do in fact find it to be somewhat exhilarating to rip a
Snowbasin Olympic Groomer at 60+ MPH.

shrug I could take it or leave it. Usually leave it. I'd rather
drive an Audi A8 on the autobahn at 160 mph on the way back from a
powder day at Hintertux..

-klaus

Old January 29th 04, 03:34 PM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:

AstroPax wrote:

I don't know about that.

Personally, I do in fact find it to be somewhat exhilarating to rip a
Snowbasin Olympic Groomer at 60+ MPH.

shrug I could take it or leave it. Usually leave it. I'd rather
drive an Audi A8 on the autobahn at 160 mph on the way back from a
powder day at Hintertux.

Combine the two - 160mph on a prepared speed course while wearing a
rubber suit.

(I've envisioned the rubber suit as having and extended zipper so that
when the speedskier crashes the pickup people just finish zipping the
suit closed and toss the now bodybag in the back of the hearse.)

Old January 29th 04, 04:44 PM
Armin

klaus wrote in message ...
AstroPax wrote:
I don't know about that.

Personally, I do in fact find it to be somewhat exhilarating to rip a
Snowbasin Olympic Groomer at 60+ MPH.

shrug I could take it or leave it. Usually leave it. I'd rather
drive an Audi A8 on the autobahn at 160 mph on the way back from a
powder day at Hintertux..

-klaus

Why so slow? You must get passed a LOT! Running on old retreads or something?

Armin

Old January 29th 04, 10:33 PM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:
Combine the two - 160mph on a prepared speed course while wearing a
rubber suit.

I don't think so. Thanks. Doing it in an A8 was scary enough. The
funny thing is when I did it, the only reason I got going that fast
was that I was cruising at about 125 and noticed flashing headlights
waaaaaay back behind me. So I dove into the slower lane just as a
bright red Ferrari blazed by. So, I thought, I'll see how fast he's
going. Tried to keep up. Gave up at 160 mph when the A8 started to
leave the ground and the Testarossa was still pulling away at a fast
clip But we did make it 500 miles home in 5 hours... including
stopping for dinner. The **** I do for grrlz.

(I've envisioned the rubber suit as having and extended zipper so that
when the speedskier crashes the pickup people just finish zipping the
suit closed and toss the now bodybag in the back of the hearse.)

One thing I noticed while I lived in Germany was that you never see
"minor" accidents on the autobahn. Usually cars and bodies strewn for
a long ways. But you also don't have old people driving slowly in the
left lane. They take care of them pretty quickly. Buddha bless their
souls.

-klaus

Old January 29th 04, 10:45 PM
klaus

Armin wrote:

shrug I could take it or leave it. Usually leave it. I'd rather
drive an Audi A8 on the autobahn at 160 mph on the way back from a
powder day at Hintertux..

-klaus

Why so slow? You must get passed a LOT! Running on old retreads or something?

Heh.. actually, on open road with three lanes, it seems like 100-110
mph is what people cruise at. At 125, you're passing most folks. When
we told my relatives where we were going to ski, since it was a long
way, they didn't ask if we had a comfortable car, or a big car.. they
said.. "My.. that's a long way... Do you have a fast car?" When we
said we had an A8, they said, yes it was fast, but big.... I didn't
realize why that would be an issue until we were cruising through the
Alps in Italy on a 1 1/2 lane road with a huge drop off on our side
when we came face to face with a logging truck. I basically sh*t.

WARNING: Large files! Don't try this on dialup.

Basically putting this car:

http://www.xmission.com/~klaus/DCP_0444.JPG

down this road:

http://www.xmission.com/~klaus/DCP_0443.JPG

The gaurd rail wasn't all that reassuring.

-klaus

Old January 30th 04, 02:43 AM
SkaredShtles

klaus wrote in
:
snip
said we had an A8, they said, yes it was fast, but big.... I didn't
realize why that would be an issue until we were cruising through the
Alps in Italy on a 1 1/2 lane road with a huge drop off on our side
when we came face to face with a logging truck. I basically sh*t.

WARNING: Large files! Don't try this on dialup.

Basically putting this car:

http://www.xmission.com/~klaus/DCP_0444.JPG

down this road:

http://www.xmission.com/~klaus/DCP_0443.JPG

The gaurd rail wasn't all that reassuring.

Whoa. Now you're talking. Would've been more fun in an old UR-Quattro,
no? Someday..... I'm gonna try to get one of those and take it over to the
Continent.

-T.O.M.-