Steel edge question

Old December 14th 04, 07:41 PM
Nevalainen, Eric

Default Steel edge question

You may want to give these a look:

http://www.karhu.com/gear/category.php?c=backcountry

The Ursa may be of interest.....certainly easier than the
alternative....

Old December 14th 04, 08:33 PM
Chris Cline

Hi Bruce-
I've seen people do what you're proposing (take the no
wax section from one pair of skis and insert it into
another), but it's a lot of work, and it's hard 1)
getting the old bases off (both sets of skis) without
damaging the skis or bases, and 2) finding a glue that
will hold the no-wax p-tex to the new ski base.

There are quite a few steel-edged no-wax skis out
there, from most of the major ski manufacturers
(Fischer, Madshus, Atomic, etc). Do some web
searching and you'll doubtless come up with at least
one or two models. IIf you're looking for a deal, and
if you have a ski shop near you, you might be able to
pick up a deal on last year's skis if they have any
left over, or wait until later this year to pick up a
pair.

What may be more of an issue is figuring out which
steel-edged no-wax to buy. You can get anything from
a fairly straight, traditionally sized ski with good
kick and glide properties (useful if you do a lot of
skiing in tracks or if covering miles is your primary
goal); to wider, shorter skis with more sidecut (more
useful if you're skiing in "wild" snow, or want to
make turns on the downhills). You can find no-wax in
both of these configurations, and many steps in
between.

good luck!
Chris C.
SLC

http://mail.yahoo.com

Old December 15th 04, 01:38 PM
Bruce W.1

Chris Cline wrote:
[...]

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a new type of XC ski last
year at a rental place. They looked very much like alpine skis. They
were wider, shorter, and had a tapered side cut. Can't remember if they
had a steel edge.

One beef I always had with XC skis is their unwillingness to turn. A
tapered side would remedy this problem. Maybe I should take this route
rather than trying to modify my current wax skis. Though I do like
Booker's idea of using a Dremel tool to put scales on the bottom of my
wax skis.

This thread is then boiling down the overall design of the ski, which is
a bigger topic than simply modifying my wax skis. I will start a new
thread.
Old December 15th 04, 01:44 PM
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Bruce W.1 wrote:
Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a new type of XC ski last
year at a rental place. They looked very much like alpine skis. They
were wider, shorter, and had a tapered side cut. Can't remember if they
had a steel edge.

Most of the backcountry skis with big sidecut do (and they
tend to be no-wax, as well).

I've got an slightly older pair of Rossignol Tempo Ridge BCs
that are short, shaped, and steel-edged, and while they're
pretty slow they're also a lot of fun - you can take them
anywhere and they turn quite well.

Amateurs study cryptography; professionals study economics.
-- Allan Schiffman
Old December 17th 04, 07:08 PM
Chris Cline

--- gr wrote:

Bill in Schenectady wrote:
I have no wax skis with a steel edge. I bought

them prior to last
winter. I find that on down hills, I only have to

THINK about turning
to cut a turn!

I live in upstate New York, where we can get

anything from below zero
to above freezing in the winter.

My only complaint: the edges have rusted a bit,

probably from riding
on top of the car on damp days.

rust on steel edges
I have been using with great success "Notwax" as an
all purpose wipe on
wax and It says it is now improved to prevent
rusting on steel edges.
gr

If Notwax doesn't do it, there's nothing wrong with
taking steel wool or a mill ******* file to the edges.
Files have the added advantage that you can also
sharpen up the edges with them. This is verging into
alpine skiing topic-land, but pass the file in a
single direction -down- the ski, and frequently brush
the filings off both the ski and the file so you don't
grind them into the p-tex. And for future reference,
if you bring the skis inside after you ski on them
(vs. leaving them on your car or in an unheated
garage), the water will evaporate off the edges and
they won't rust as badly. A light pass with some sort
of lubricant/oil (machine oil, WD-40, Notwax, paste
wax; just about anything) will keep them from rusting, too.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com