First Snow Summit day

Old November 16th 12, 04:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default First Snow Summit day

New 150-cm skis: Less stopping power, more effort to initiate a turn.
As the day wore on I got used to them. Way easier to carry.

New Nordica boots: same nominal size as my old boots, but much bigger
inside. Still loose at the maximum tightness, so I think I need to add
some cork footbeds or something. The difficulty (and pain) of forcing
my heel down into the boots discourages experimentation, although they
feel fine once I get them on. Perhaps it's easier to just shim between
the overlapping parts of the shell. I have LOTS of gasket cork.

Too tired to think about it now. Even though I've increased the weight
I lift with both my legs and arms since last season, the muscles were
pretty much useless after 11:30. Going to try fewer but slower reps.

Chair 1 was open, eliminating the hated long hike up to Chair 2.
Miracle Mile was the only run open, but they opened the steep part
rather than the less-steep bypass. Plenty of snow, though, and less
crowded than the number of cars in the parking lot indicated. High
clouds, flat light, but it softened around 10:30. Not a bad day, but I
think I need to do something with my boots, or else go back to the old ones.

Friend drove her little Honda something sportscar up today.
Convertible, windows up, heater on and perfectly comfy. Not used to
taking those curves at 60, but no tire squeal and I figure she had
almost 100K miles on the car and didn't want to kill herself, so it was
OK. She said I could drive it up next time. WOO-HOO!

--
Cheers, Bev
====================================
Old November 16th 12, 05:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:48:15 PM UTC-8, The Real Bev wrote:
New 150-cm skis: Less stopping power, more effort to initiate a turn.

As the day wore on I got used to them. Way easier to carry.

Imagine how much easier to ski it would be if you bought a pair of skis actually made in this century.

New Nordica boots: same nominal size as my old boots, but much bigger

inside. Still loose at the maximum tightness, so I think I need to add

some cork footbeds or something. The difficulty (and pain) of forcing

my heel down into the boots discourages experimentation, although they

feel fine once I get them on. Perhaps it's easier to just shim between

the overlapping parts of the shell. I have LOTS of gasket cork.

You deserve the pain. Cheapness is its own reward.

Snip the rest of an inane report about a crappy, ugly, old skier on a crappy mountain nobody wants to ski.