French Pyrennees - ski station recommendations?

Old December 22nd 04, 09:44 AM
Roger Moss

Default French Pyrennees - ski station recommendations?

Having skied a lot around the Alps (and Auvergne), we're now keen to
discover just what the French Pyrenees offer in the way of intermediate
downhill terrain. Travel to and from is not a big issue, as we'd be driving
from within France.

Anyone recommend somewhere 'special' combining great natural scenery,
dependable snow and reasonably extensive terrain? We can visit more than
one station during our visit. Barrèges and Les Ongles look like possible
contenders, but we'd welcome comments.

Thanks, and bonne ski!

Roger Moss

Old December 22nd 04, 10:13 AM
AJ

You canb try Piau engaly. www.piau-engaly.com
Well situated you are almost sure to find here snow.

AJ;
http://membres.lycos.fr/jobsinthealps

news: ...

Old December 26th 04, 12:26 AM
John Owens

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

Anyone recommend somewhere 'special' combining great natural scenery,
dependable snow and reasonably extensive terrain?

Les Angles has a great outlook and decent Skiing.

John Owens

Old December 26th 04, 10:24 AM
The Older Gentleman

Roger Moss wrote:

Having skied a lot around the Alps (and Auvergne), we're now keen to
discover just what the French Pyrenees offer in the way of intermediate
downhill terrain. Travel to and from is not a big issue, as we'd be driving
from within France.

Anyone recommend somewhere 'special' combining great natural scenery,
dependable snow and reasonably extensive terrain? We can visit more than
one station during our visit. Barrèges and Les Ongles look like possible
contenders, but we'd welcome comments.

Oooooh! At last!

Makes Sign of Holy Ski Boots

Barèges-La Mongie (www.tourmalet.fr) used to be the biggest ski area in
the Pyrenees, but since they've linked Andorra up, it ain't any more.

Some 60-odd lifts, spread out across three valleys, so if you ski from
one end to the other you have two peaks/ridges to cross, one being the
Col du Tourmalet which is a famous stage of the Tour de France.

Barèges is an old spa town, and at the top end the volcanic thermal
baths (les Thèrmes) were built in Napoleonic times. Hot eggy water at 38
degrees C or thereabouts - utterly fantastic after a day's skiing, and
only a few quid for 45 minutes or so in the pool. Other spa treatments
sort of involve rubber hoses and stainless steel fittings and husky
peasant women wiv whips, and I wot not of those.

Barèges is rather cute as it's all old. La Mongie, at the other end of
the network, is purpose-built, slightly higher, and has the advantage of
your being able to ski back to your hotel door. This is only possible in
Barèges if you stay in the Igloo: otherwise you have to walk through the
town or use the ski bus. OTOH, no thermal baths in La Mongie!

Upside: amazing value. Half to two-thirds the price of the Alps for
everything. family lift pass for seven days (not the usual six), two
adults, two kids, this year is 418 euros. Utterly charming place. A lot
of investment has gone into new lifts in recent years, with more
planned. Cheap flights to Toulouse or Carcassonne. Lourdes is the
nearest airport (30 miles away) but nobody seems to fly there now.

Downside: a shorter snow season than the Alps. Can be iffy at Xmas (I've
had fabulous snow, and I've had rain), or can be fantastic - but then
that holds good for much of the Alps these days. Jan-Feb March is fine.
April can be like Xmas. Nothing very taxing: only two or three blacks.
Mostly blue, with maybe 25% reds.

Recommended hotels: Igloo in Barèges and Le Taoulet in La Mongie

Then there's St Lary/Pla d'Adet. Not as big, but still 40-odd lifts. The
Pla is the bit at the top, where the skiing is. St Lary village is at
the bottom. Stay at the bottom and you have to take the cablecar up and
down every day, so in this respect it's like Courmayeur or Chiesa in
Italy. So pay the extra and stay in Pla d'Adet rather than St Lary. St
Lary also has thermal baths, and very nice they are too.

Again, superb value (as with Barèges/La Mongie, you're effectively
paying eastern European prices), charming, fun. Also as above, shorter
snow season and nothing very taxing. The lift network has not really
been upgraded in recent years, and there are one or two bottlenecks.

Again, Toulouse or Carcassonne for the flights. Recommended hotel in Pla
d'Adet: Christiania.

Puy St Vincent - smaller than St Lary. Supposed to be some more taxing
stuff there, though, but as I've never been I can't comment. Ditto
Piau-Engaly. Never heard of Les Ongles.

Ace will be along in a minute ;-))

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old December 29th 04, 11:35 AM
Domènec

"Roger Moss" escribió en el mensaje

Having skied a lot around the Alps (and Auvergne), we're now keen to
discover just what the French Pyrenees offer in the way of intermediate
downhill terrain. Travel to and from is not a big issue, as we'd be

driving
from within France.

You may consider Andorra too, Grand Valira joins four resorts and is over
200kms of pistes, 700 metres drop. A bit to the west, Spanish valley of Aran
(northern side of the Pyrenees) has some 100kms of pistes in Baqueira Beret,
1000 metres drop.

I'd choose Andorra for shopping in apres-ski, Aran for lifestyle ("look mum,
the king of Spain!")

Old December 29th 04, 07:31 PM
Mark

Hi
Since, encouraged by this topic, plan to ski in Pyrenees in the end of
January, I have the question: as going alone, having usualy
difficulties with booking in advance, how about finding place to stay
on arrival? What is the option?
Thanks
Mark

Old December 29th 04, 10:45 PM
Dances with Men

Mark wrote:

Hi
Since, encouraged by this topic, plan to ski in Pyrenees in the end of
January, I have the question: as going alone, having usualy
difficulties with booking in advance, how about finding place to stay
on arrival? What is the option?
Thanks
Mark

It might help, oh best beloved, if you told us where you were thinking
of going.

--
The bells, the bells......
Old December 31st 04, 12:30 PM
Mark

Hi
Tourmalet sounds good, but got no idea, how to get there from Carcasone
(Ryanair)or Touluse (Easy Jet), either...
Mark

Old December 31st 04, 04:02 PM
The Older Gentleman

Mark wrote:

Hi
Tourmalet sounds good, but got no idea, how to get there from Carcasone
(Ryanair)or Touluse (Easy Jet), either...
Mark

Hire car and a map. Two and a half hours from Toulouse. Dunno about
Carcassonne.

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
BOF#30 WUSS#5 The bells, the bells.....
Old December 31st 04, 05:55 PM
Roger Moss

Thanks for the valued responses - nothing for a few days, but then everyone
awoke after the Christmas holiday and pitched in.

And long may the level of content here continue to provide a civilised
alternative to the rantings of US-focused newsgroups.

Thank you, gentlemen (and ladies, of course).

RM

"The Older Gentleman" wrote in
message news:1gpec22.285w3a1vl6tb9N%chateauSPAMKILL.murray @dsl.pipex.com...