Grand Targhee

Old October 23rd 03, 02:13 PM
Dave W

Default Grand Targhee

I am considering Grand Targhee for a family trip over the new years
week - has anybody skied there for an entire week? How was it for
kids? How about the likely snow coniditions at that time? The other
options are Snowbird or Snowmass - Thanks everybody
Old November 3rd 03, 06:03 PM
Arsie

I skied their for one day during a two week ski trip to Jackson Hole.....I
did not like it at all. In fact I took a boarding lesson instead of
exploring.

The village does not have much and not sure what it would be like for a
family.

om...

Old November 3rd 03, 07:45 PM
AstroPax

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:03:42 -0000, "Arsie"
wrote:

I skied their for one day during a two week ski trip to Jackson Hole.....I
did not like it at all. In fact I took a boarding lesson instead of
exploring.

The above quoted negative opinion of Targhee is based upon the
following "extensive" experience:

1. Total of 1 day at the place.
2. Took a boarding lesson.
3. Didn't do any exploring.

Clue time. Some of the best deep powder skiing and snow conditions
I've ever experienced occurred at Targhee.

Other than LCC/BCC Utah, Targhee offers the best lift served powder in
the lower 48 with an average annual snowfall in excess of 460".

Even during a Targhee *low* snow year, Targhee receives more snow than
many other places usually receive during a *high* snow year.

Nothing wrong with Targhee, other than the fact that they received an
"F" from the "Ski Area Citizens' Coalition"...for what its worth:

http://www.skiareacitizens.com/cgi-b...?region=idmtwy

-Astro

---
AstroPax Gravity Tracks
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/index.htm
---

Old November 3rd 03, 08:09 PM
AstroPax

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:18:25 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote:

The powder that epic day in Targhee was far superior in depth and
lightness to anything I've skied in my (admittedly limited) visits to
the Cottonwoods.

Sounds like someone needs to experience an Alta "Full Effect" powder
day. ;)

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old November 3rd 03, 08:18 PM
lal_truckee

wrote:

I skied their for one day during a two week ski trip to Jackson Hole.....I
did not like it at all. In fact I took a boarding lesson instead of
exploring.

The above quoted negative opinion of Targhee is based upon the
following "extensive" experience:

1. Total of 1 day at the place.
2. Took a boarding lesson.
3. Didn't do any exploring.

Clue time. Some of the best deep powder skiing and snow conditions
I've ever experienced occurred at Targhee.

Seconded. I had an epic day at Targhee - deep, light powder, and so few
people that every run was untracked (or so it seemed). Long runs too.
The snow was so good I couldn't waste a run taking a break all day, so I
beat my legs to death and couldn't ski worth a dam the next day at
Jackson. No guarantees re other visits/ other days/ other people, but
suggestive.

I assume there were groomed runs somewhere, but didn't go looking for
them. The day I was at Targhee, Sun Valley was bussing people over
(multi-hour trip) because Sun Valley had no snow - I can't imagine
paying Sun Valley prices and taking a bus to Targhee for decent skiing.

Not much at Targhee but skiing, but in my opinion and life style, that's
all you need. YMMV. Nearest non-resort settlement is the metropolis of
Driggs, Idaho. Not much there, either.

Funny - last couple of trips to Jackson, I skipped popping over to
Targhee - I think I'll remedy that oversight next time I'm in the area,
if the pass is clear.

Old November 4th 03, 12:47 AM
sjjohnston

lal_truckee wrote in message ...
Seconded. I had an epic day at Targhee - deep, light powder ...

I have a sister who's worked there off and on for several years.

For what it's worth, my impression agrees pretty precisely with what's
above (I mean, what's *immediately* above, not that one up near the
top). Good snow, good skiing, not crowded, light on "high-end
resort-type amenities." That last point can either be a negative or a
positive, depending on what you're interested in.
Old November 4th 03, 01:47 PM
foot2foot

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

Seconded. I had an epic day at Targhee - deep, light powder, and so few
people that every run was untracked (or so it seemed). Long runs too.

That, and the facts that there aren't any trees at Targhee.
The whole hill is wide open. You can ski wherever you
want, so the pow takes a long time to cut up. Also, I
don't think that most of the people skiing there have much
of a desire to venture off the groom.

Targhee has a lot to offer. I really liked it.

Nothing against Jackson. I wouldn't go to one
without also stopping in at the other. It's all a personal
and situational call as to which you want to stay at and
do most of your skiing. They offer different things, really.