An exercise in handicapping

Old March 19th 06, 08:02 PM

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
Sounds like fun, where can I enter for the next edition? And why did you
bother bring any ski's to that ice run? ;-)

I amused myself for a few hours by saying over and over again in my
head, "I should have brought my klap-skates!" until it turned to slush.
Then I amused myself by trying to invent some means of travelling over
slush once it got even warmer!

Just teasing you, lots of respect to you for skiing almost 7 hours as hard
as you can!! I would have been calling for my mommy within the hour for
sure.

My shoulders are sore from so much DP-ing and my knee still hurts from
the herring-bone, but it actually wasn't that bad from an exertion
stand-point. It was very difficult and exasperating, but not too hard.
If I had been able to get my power down to the ground, and had been
able to go full speed ahead with reasonable tracks, I'm sure I would
have been much more tired. And presumably faster. I was actually amazed
when I found out the time. I hadn't paid attention to the clock during
the race. It didn't feel like 7 hours. It felt like 4, but my brain
knew it wasn't so I guessed 5.5. I didn't bother eating during the
race, and drank only about 1.5 liters of sport drink.

Sorry to hear it didn't go as you hoped in advance, I too was looking out=

read how you faired. Is late march maybe pushing it for such an event?
Sounds huge...

The weather has been perfect for weeks and weeks, and already today it
is back down to -6C. It was a shame that one day was so warm and windy.
Usually the weather is great. Last year it was -17C. I felt sorry for
all the Italian, Canadian, and American skiers I met who "wasted" a
trip to Norway. I hope it wasn't there first and/or last visit!

It was huge. 12,000 skiers. I'll be back next year, but not if it is
above freezing.

Joseph

Better luck next time!

schreef in bericht
oups.com...

wrote:
Hi All,

I thought it might be fun to see what finish time people estimate for
me for the upcoming Birkebeiner. Given a few marginally relavent data
points, and a some guesswork, I'll bet somebody will get pretty close.
The closest estimate gets fame, fortune, and a postcard from
Lillehammer!

Here's the data:

Male, 35 years old, 103kg, approx 5kg overweight.

Not particularly bad technique, but lots of room for improvement.

Theory that steep hills result in disproportionate penalty due to
weight/poor technique.

Theory that 3.5kg backpack is virtually insignificant for 100kg+
person.

Rode the MTB 89km version with a 6kg pack (instead of 3.5kg as
required) in 4:12. Class winners finished under 3 hours.
Ride profile:
http://birkebeiner.no/dokumenter/loy...tt2005_v11.pdf

Skied 25km Montebellol=F8pet last Saturday in 2:10. Class winners
finished 1:17. Course is reportedly much steeper than Birkebeiner.
Profile: http://www.montebellolopet.com/image...pe/profil1.gif

On my local loop, there is a hilly 5km that I can do in 15 minutes. A
guy I know can do it in 12. He finished the Bikebeiner in 4:12. Another
guy can do the loop in 10 minutes and had a Birken time of 3:27.

So, anyone feel like making a prediction?

Joseph

Everyone including myself was WAY off. In a time that was undoubtedly
lengthened by the difficult conditions (I hope significantly!) I had
the worst ski tour I have ever been on. And the single most frustrating
unpleasant 6 hours and 56 minutes of my life!

It started with wax-bingo as the recommendations were changing by the
hour. Friday night the lines at the wax booths were hundreds long. Lots
of folks wasted a lot of time and money there! Saturday morning the
recommendations were changed again, twice. I started with V45 which
worked somewhat for about 20 minutes, stopped and applied V60 which
worked sort of for another 20 minutes. Once that stopped working, I
switched to Universal Klister, which was as good as it was going to
get. The temp quickly rose to well above freezing and nobody seemed to
have any grip. I was in wave 17 so the tracks were long gone. Instead
was a maze of hard-packed ice-ruts. It was a trial to even move along
at a walking pace. I saw at least 10 people fall while going up. It was
herring-bone on every incline that was not DP-able. As we got to one of
th eplateau rigions, the wind kicked up to about 30km/h first from the
right-front quarter as we we on an off-camber incline. The packed ice
like surface, the grade and the wind had everyone in a big line
side-stepping up the hill for almost 2km. Then the trail turned into
the wind and I DP'd while everyone else around be diagonaled. Excect
for the 100 or so people who took off their skis and walked. I couldn't
catch the walkers! The descent down to Kvartstad was impossible. The
tracks had been worn out to 6" wide concave valleys that were slush
packed down to a dark gray color, with rocks sticking out occasionaly.
The tracks were also about as straight as a piece of overcooked
spaghetti. So any speed had one doing a lower-leg shimmy as the skis
found there own way down, usually off into another rut. At the food
stations all the paper cups were blowing all over the place getting
stuck in everyones' klister, causing more than a handful of sudden-stop
face-plants. And it was so warm and wet the cups couldn't be peeled
off, as they disintegrated and had to be scraped off. The climb to
Sjusj=F8en had worn out tracks, but the snow between the tracks was
sugary and deep, so switching tracks would kill any momentum one had.
The tracks were just as sloppy, and it was easy to slide off th etracks
sideways ino the sugarly snow. I couldn't do more that 4 diagonal
strides in a row without slipping sideways. Down from Sjusj=F8en the
tracks were miserable. Shimmying down ice-ruts.

I never had enough grip to be able to go fast, and the I was usually
more concerend with falling over than with keeping my effort level up.
My knee hurts from so much herring-bone, and my shoulders are sore, but
I wasn't even tired, just frustrated.

I can see how it would be a great race if it were cold, even with
chewed-up tracks for late starters, but above freezing it was a waste
of time.

We'll see what happens next year!

My only consolation is that the late starters this year as a group did
much worse than the late starters last year.
=20
Joseph

Old March 19th 06, 11:05 PM

I didn't bother eating during the race, and drank only about 1.5 liters of
sport drink.

Man, I really have a lot to learn about skiing. If I drink that much over a
7-hour bike race, I'm all sore afterwards!

Don't Nordic bones need a bit of lubrication? ;-)

Old March 20th 06, 08:44 AM

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
I didn't bother eating during the race, and drank only about 1.5 liters of

sport drink.

Man, I really have a lot to learn about skiing. If I drink that much over a
7-hour bike race, I'm all sore afterwards!

Don't learn from me! On a 7 hour bike ride I would have drank much more
than that too. But during the Birkebeiner, the conditions were so
difficult I didn't really sweat even though it was so warm. I imagine
that next year I will drink lots more, as the conditions will most
likely be better which will allow me to exert myself more.

Don't Nordic bones need a bit of lubrication? ;-)

Maybe they do, but these "Made in The USA" bones didn't seem to need
too much!

All the food-stations had warm sports-drink, warm "saft", and warm
water. I much prefer cold. Am I the only one?

Joseph

Old March 20th 06, 10:07 AM

Don't Nordic bones need a bit of lubrication? ;-)

Maybe they do, but these "Made in The USA" bones didn't seem to need
too much!

I meant to hint that there might be a relationship between your drinking
habit during a 7-hour workout, and your discomfort afterwards or even
during.
Perhaps drinking is too much of a chore in skiing? I now crosskate with a
camelbak and hands-free tube, so I can just pole along an drink. Over 1.5hrs
of training/chatting at 3șC I already drink about a litre!
I read once that the body likes water/sports drink best when it's at 15șC.
If drinking is regarded important, but a chore, it can help to make it a bit
salty. A bit of help to promote thirst, and not let it flow through the body
too quickly. I cna be a lazy drinker when I'm pre-occupied, the salt really
does help in meeting my liquid intake goals then.
I drink more than 1.5l of water watching XC ski on TV for 7 hours! :-)

I'll say it again, respect for guys like you that take part in such events.
To think three are so many thousands taking part, so much more manly than
myself :-)

schreef in bericht
oups.com...