DSQs

Old March 21st 06, 05:25 AM

I have been involved in officiating BC loppets 3 times when there have been
disqualifications.

One involved a skier who took the wrong (shorter) course even though several
hundred other people had no problem following the markings. I think he had
skied the race a previous year when a different course was used and did not
believe the trail markings that were sending him a different way. He
readily admitted his error.

Another involved a skier who changed skis half way through a classic race.
The course passed through the start/finish area half way through the race
when it finished one course and started on a different one. Many skiers
were having trouble with their wax wearing off and one skier stopped and
changed into another waxed pair of skis that he had left leaning on a fence.
He then moved from 7th to first place as he passed skiers who struggled on
with their worn wax. He was disqualified for changing skis. He thought
that if there was no ski marking he would be OK, but the rules clearly state
that you can only change one ski and even then you have to show that the
replaced ski was broken. The seven skiers he passed would have been upset
if he wasn't disqualified for taking an unfair and illegal advantage. He
was a very experienced competitive skier who should have known the rules.

The third skier that was disqualified was for skating in a classic race. He
was a contender for the win and skated up most of the steep uphills. He was
spotted by course marshals and also reported by the three or four other
skiers in the lead group in his age class. At his level of skiing he was
expected to know the difference between herringbone and offset skating. I
suspect that he missed the wax and skating up the hills was the only way he
could stay with the leaders.

On many other cases there have been verbal warnings given to people who used
a "gliding herringbone" or repeatedly skated from one classic track to
another. These were all cases where it was reasonable to assume the skier
did not know any better and where the overall results were not affected.

Scott

"Jim Flom" wrote in message
"Mark Waechter" wrote ...

It's not so sinister ...

The fellow in question missed a turn and thus skied a shorter lap.
He's happy to tell you that there's no way he could possibly have won
by 10 minutes.

I'm happy to tell you that the DQ'd skier is a great guy, a beautiful
classic skier, and was only dissappointed that the course wasn't as
well marked as it could've been.

The people at SovLk do a great job, so I'm not quibbling with their
efforts, either. Just trying to clear up the mystery DQ.

Certainly, and I didn't intend to imply sinister, I was just surprised to
see it and curious about different possible DQs. I could just as easily
have left out the name of the race. Didn't wish to single anyone out.

JF

Old March 21st 06, 06:18 PM

"Derick Fay" wrote in message
oups.com...
To draw further on your expertise, Bob, how might one (almost) get a
DNS?....

LOL
I'm guessing he
have a baby?

I really hope it was nothing bad like a car accident or working

overtime.
Bob

The key word was "almost"...I was actually thinking of showing up at a
race with one of your boots and one of your wife's...

oh that! Gee, I'd almost forgotten ;-) I've been so busy telling people
about my first-ever age-division win, I guess it just slipped my mind. Just
to fill everyone else in:

Derick drove the two of us to the Gold Rush on Sunday. I performed my usual
race prep (setting out equipment, eating a bowl of cereal, etc) and piled
into his car at 6:30am for the 8 o-clock start. When we unloaded at the
parking lot, I discovered that I had grabbed 2 pilot boots: one mine and one
of my wife's. Oops. Several people standing nearby in the parking lot took
some amusement in the ensuing sheepish phone call to Mary. As she got
dressed and drove over to Royal Gorge, I warmed up by running in the parking
lot. Mary dropped off the boot and turned around to have breakfast back at
the cabin. I managed to get to the start line with about 90 seconds to spare
but with absolutely no on-snow warm-up.

Given that this was the best placing I've ever had in a race, I may never
warm-up on snow again ;-)
Bob
btw: Royal Gouge refused to rent me a boot - the stated policy is that they
"do not rent equipment for a race". I believe they are the only resort in
the Tahoe area with this policy. I know for a fact that Tahoe XC is happy to
rent equipment for The Great Ski Race - a race that is far harder on poles
and skis than the Gold Rush.

Old March 22nd 06, 12:16 AM

Chris writes:

"Quite a few were
disqualified at the Keskinada classic because weather had forced a
modification of the course and people got very confused. Last minute
changes can leave everybody confused."

From [short loop-really long loop], it got changed

to [short-medium-short-medium], to avoid a lot of clutter from
a big ice storm the day before. But they used good
sense, and did not DSQ a whole bunch of people who
made mistakes and skied it incorrectly, but actually did
the whole distance.

That includes the actual winner of the
race, Phil Shaw. It's clear from the intermediate times that
he ended up doing [short-short-medium-medium]. Independent
evidence is that he came ripping past a whole bunch of
us who had done a bit less than [short-medium] when he was already
almost finished [short-short-medium]. Probably he had earlier
got a gap during the first short loop (9km), and got waved
through by mistake instead of directed to turn right.
And he probably had a pretty bad time getting
past all us slowpokes.

If you look at those intermediate times, you can
see that he ended up integrated with the lead group
sometime after his [short-short-medium], and their
(correct) [short-medium-short], so a few people
probably got a bit of a surprise just then.

And in the end, he put a minute or two on the rest
for the win. I'll bet it would have been more than that
if he'd done the correct course. And it probably would
have been quite unjust to have DQed him, whatever
the actual rules are.

There are lots of other anomalous splits in those results.

Best, Peter

Old March 22nd 06, 12:26 AM

Scott wrote:

"On many other cases there have been verbal warnings
given to people who ...repeatedly skated
from one classic track to another."

I assume this is with tracks more-or-less right
beside each other, so it would just be one
skate push out of the track, then another one
on the other leg into the other track. How is the
rule against doing this 'too often' phrased?
Must be quite a bit of judgement involved.
I've often wondered about this while racing,
and also whether the advantage was more the
slight speed boost, or more the temporary
muscle relief.

Best, Peter

Old March 23rd 06, 02:25 AM

I also wonder, because they sure switch lanes a lot in the Swedish
Vasaloppet. Perhaps there is some poling involved too, which leads to
the warning. We had a DQ at a Yosemite race about 10 years ago against
someone who was marathon skating the downhill and flats, one ski in and
one out of the tracks.

Gene