New skis, old bindings

Old March 21st 06, 09:35 PM

Default New skis, old bindings

I'm about to buy a new pair of skis, long thin type for set tracks,
probably not waxable. I'd like to take the bindings from the old skis
(which have the bottoms beat) and put them on the new ones. The
bindings are 75mm 3 pin back country bindings to fit my bc boots which
fit the wide waxable bc skis, etc. Anyway, I can't find any info on
where to mount the bindings. The old skis have a line on them and the
bindings were mounted so that the 3 pins were on the line. Is that
right or should I do something else?

TIA!
--
--------------------
"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
Old March 21st 06, 10:17 PM

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:35:07 GMT, Bob Burns
wrote:

I'm about to buy a new pair of skis, long thin type for set tracks,
probably not waxable. I'd like to take the bindings from the old skis
(which have the bottoms beat) and put them on the new ones. The
bindings are 75mm 3 pin back country bindings to fit my bc boots which
fit the wide waxable bc skis, etc. Anyway, I can't find any info on
where to mount the bindings. The old skis have a line on them and the
bindings were mounted so that the 3 pins were on the line. Is that
right or should I do something else?

TIA!

It would work but your bindings will rub on the edge of the tracks. If
the snow is hard it may be enough to actually stop you. There are a
lot of sales going on now. I would bet you could find a boot/binding
combo for less than $100, maybe less depending on your boot size.

g.c.
Old March 21st 06, 11:51 PM

He's right! I've tried it. It is very frustrating and takes away the
fun of your ne w light track skis. sadly, you will have to buy new
boots to go with the bindings and skis but it will be worth it.
andyb

Old March 22nd 06, 01:08 AM

wrote:

I'm about to buy a new pair of skis, long thin type for set tracks,
probably not waxable. I'd like to take the bindings from the old skis
(which have the bottoms beat) and put them on the new ones. The
bindings are 75mm 3 pin back country bindings to fit my bc boots which
fit the wide waxable bc skis, etc. Anyway, I can't find any info on
where to mount the bindings. The old skis have a line on them and the
bindings were mounted so that the 3 pins were on the line. Is that
right or should I do something else?

TIA!

It would work but your bindings will rub on the edge of the tracks. If
the snow is hard it may be enough to actually stop you. There are a
lot of sales going on now. I would bet you could find a boot/binding
combo for less than $100, maybe less depending on your boot size.

g.c.

Can't be worse than skiing with wide bc skis in tracks! The wide skis
ride on their edges and I don't get any kick at all.

--
--------------------

Old March 22nd 06, 01:02 PM

wrote:

[...]

What size boots do you wear? We might have something laying around
that I could let you have cheap.

g.c.
Old March 22nd 06, 01:58 PM

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I'd really like to maintain only one pair of boots and use
them for everything, even if they are not perfect for everything. I
have 3 pair of skis and a pair of snowshoes with the 3-pin 75 mm bc
bindings.

--
--------------------

Old March 22nd 06, 10:00 PM

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:35:07 +0100, Bob Burns
wrote:

I'm about to buy a new pair of skis, long thin type for set tracks,
probably not waxable. I'd like to take the bindings from the old skis
(which have the bottoms beat) and put them on the new ones. The
bindings are 75mm 3 pin back country bindings to fit my bc boots which
fit the wide waxable bc skis, etc. Anyway, I can't find any info on
where to mount the bindings. The old skis have a line on them and the
bindings were mounted so that the 3 pins were on the line. Is that
right or should I do something else?

TIA!

The 3 pins should be just above the balanceline. Modern skis are normally
marked with a balance area, to find the excact balanceline use the
backedge of a knife or similar- you will know when the ski are in balance-
mark the line with a pen.

LASR
Old March 22nd 06, 10:10 PM

wrote:

I'm about to buy a new pair of skis, long thin type for set tracks,
probably not waxable. I'd like to take the bindings from the old skis
(which have the bottoms beat) and put them on the new ones. The
bindings are 75mm 3 pin back country bindings to fit my bc boots which
fit the wide waxable bc skis, etc. Anyway, I can't find any info on
where to mount the bindings. The old skis have a line on them and the
bindings were mounted so that the 3 pins were on the line. Is that
right or should I do something else?

TIA!

The 3 pins should be just above the balanceline. Modern skis are
normally marked with a balance area, to find the excact balanceline use
the backedge of a knife or similar- you will know when the ski are in
balance- mark the line with a pen.

LASR

Thanks- I presume you mean toward the front when you say above.