Les Arcs

Old January 30th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

Default Les Arcs

"Ace" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 03:18:50 -0800 (PST), Excess
wrote:

On Jan 29, 10:35 am, BrritSki wrote:
I am picking BrratSki up in Les Arcs tomorrow and to avoid me driving
all the way up the mountain we are intending to meet up in Bourg St.
Maurice, but I can't google up a piste map that shows me where the link
up from Bourg arrives in Les Arcs.

Can someone advise please ? Ace, this means you

It's definitely a good idea to use public transport! I was there just
a week ago and I was shocked to see that you now have to pay for all
public parking spaces- just at 1800 and 2000 I think. There is a gate
on the road below 1800 for instance where you take a ticket and then
you pay on your way out. Think it cost ?70-?80 Euros per week so not
cheap

Did you check the parking at the bottom of the funicular? I know it
always used to be free, so I'd hope they'd leave it so to encourage
people to leave their cars down there.

Is the funicular free - or at least free with a lift pass?

Paul S

Old January 30th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Covered on the lift pass, yes, which of course you can buy at the
ticket office at the bottom of the funicular.

Old February 3rd 09, 09:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

wrote:

[...]

I was shocked on arriving at Arc 1600 before Christmas to see all the
cars parked there and thought the resort must be full to bursting. It
wasn't. It appears that since they have introduced the toll road to 1800
people just drop their bags off at 1800 and then drive down, park in the
Plan Devin car park and nip onto the free shuttle back to 1800. Over the
New Year week it was almost impossible to park in 1600. I wonder what
it will be like this month.

Though it was announced that car parking at the funicular in Bourg will
be charged it appeared still to be free at Christmas. Probably to stop
all the roads in Bourg being clogged with parked cars.

The pistehors website had an article on the dispute and the legal battle
being fought over the impossition of toll charges on a public road (the
road through 1800 carries on to Vallandry and Nacroix.
Old February 8th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

wrote:

On Jan 29, 10:35*am, BrritSki wrote:
I am picking BrratSki up in Les Arcs tomorrow and to avoid me driving
all the way up the mountain we are intending to meet up in Bourg St.
Maurice, but I can't google up a piste map that shows me where the link
up from Bourg arrives in Les Arcs.

Can someone advise please ? *Ace, this means you *

It's definitely a good idea to use public transport! I was there just
a week ago and I was shocked to see that you now have to pay for all
public parking spaces- just at 1800 and 2000 I think.

In a similar vein, I'm just back from Flaine (finally switched off the
car engine at about 1AM this morning) and was a bit shocked at the
parking charges there - there is a free car park but it's deep in the
bottom of the resort and I was up in Foret, and I was warned that they
can be a bit tardy in clearing the snow. I'd simply assumed that
parking would be free, as it is (err, or was a couple of years ago) in
Mottaret and Alpe d'Huez.

--
-Pip
Old February 8th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:50:02 +0000, Pip Luscher
wrote:

In a similar vein, I'm just back from Flaine (finally switched off the
car engine at about 1AM this morning) and was a bit shocked at the
parking charges there - there is a free car park but it's deep in the
bottom of the resort and I was up in Foret, and I was warned that they
can be a bit tardy in clearing the snow. I'd simply assumed that
parking would be free, as it is (err, or was a couple of years ago) in
Mottaret and Alpe d'Huez.

Well you could have asked, you know.
Old February 8th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

wrote:

In a similar vein, I'm just back from Flaine (finally switched off the
car engine at about 1AM this morning) and was a bit shocked at the
parking charges there - there is a free car park but it's deep in the
bottom of the resort and I was up in Foret, and I was warned that they
can be a bit tardy in clearing the snow. I'd simply assumed that
parking would be free, as it is (err, or was a couple of years ago) in
Mottaret and Alpe d'Huez.

Well you could have asked, you know.

It simply didn't cross my mind because the two other places I've been
were free.

--
-Pip
Old February 11th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

wrote:

In a similar vein, I'm just back from Flaine (finally switched off the
car engine at about 1AM this morning) and was a bit shocked at the
parking charges there - there is a free car park but it's deep in the
bottom of the resort and I was up in Foret, and I was warned that they
can be a bit tardy in clearing the snow. I'd simply assumed that
parking would be free, as it is (err, or was a couple of years ago) in
Mottaret and Alpe d'Huez.

Well you could have asked, you know.

It simply didn't cross my mind because the two other places I've been
were free.

--
-Pip

Just like mentioned above I am surprised that the parking in Arc 1800
is not free. The last time I went to Arc 1800 (2 years ago) all the
out side parking was free. We even managed to park on the road
outside our apartment. As I understand it from above there are
barriers at the entrance to Arc 1800 and there you take a ticket and
pay for the hours on your way out. How does this work if you have pre-
paid for covered parking? Can you just turn up and use covered
parking? On one web site there was a suggestion of a free car park
just outside the barriers. Is this true? Or are there alternative
places to park which are free?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian
Old February 12th 09, 09:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

wrote:

[...]

Interesting that about pre paid covered parking. My guess is that you
will have to pay the toll charge as well as the parking charge. There
are still places where you can park free and catch the bus; the obvious
one is the Plan Devlin car park, but you can park on the road almost
anywhere between the 1800 and the entrance to 2000, but there is the
risk of snowploughs and possibly being towed away (I have seen it
happen). The La Grange car park 2/3 way up on the funicular is almost
always full, but there are still plenty of spaces in Bourg where you can
dump the car for a week.

John
Old February 12th 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

wrote:

[...]

Brian- Hide quoted text -

No escaping other than parking quite at a distance as far as I could
see other that parking at 1600 or further down. Did not see any free
parking before the barriers or it was just a handful of spaces if
there was. Obviously if you are pre-paying for underground parking at
one of the residences like Les Alpages de Chantel you won't have to
pay twice.

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk