What sort of a season is it in the Eastern Alps?

Old March 9th 05, 10:29 AM
Jeremy Mortimer

Default What sort of a season is it in the Eastern Alps?

I'm thinking of taking a couple of weeks after easter to ski a bit further
afield than my normal region (which is around Geneva). We're having a
superb season here so far, with snow down to the valleys since the
beginning of February, and regular top-ups (mostly at weekends, but you
can't have everything).

Checking the SCGB reports, it looks as though places like St. Moritz, St.
Anton etc, where we would normally think of going, have less than average
cover. Does this mean that the conditions we've been getting in the western
Alps haven't made it to the east? Can anyone who's actually been there give
me some idea of what's been happening in the last few weeks, and what
conditions are like now? (I know it may change, but I haven't been watching
conditions in that region and I'd like some sort of baseline.)

Also: does anyone have recommendations for less well known places to go in
the eastern Alps? We're interested in off-piste skiing, perhaps some
touring (though not multi-day), and discovering new places, and not much
interested in piste skiing, except for access. Haven't skied in the
Dolomites, were wondering about Slovenia...?

Thanks in advance for info and ideas.

Jeremy
Old March 9th 05, 11:35 AM
Rob White

I was in Soll last week. They had loads of snow - about 75cm a few weeks
ago. There was a bit of a thaw the week before last so it went icy, but
then it snowed again. Conditions were great, everything open and no stones
or rocks. I see that they had another 15cm a day or so ago. Should be
really good again.

Rob

Old March 9th 05, 11:50 AM
Simon Brown

In Graubunden it's more a question of how far south you are. In Laax / Davos
we have loads of snow.
--
Simon Brown
www.sysgem.com www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old March 11th 05, 10:48 PM
Jerzy Pawlowski

Just returned from Lech/Zurs (11-Mar-05), and there
were tons of fresh powder in most of Arlberg resorts.
The northern resorts have been generally getting more
snow recently.

--
"Imbéciles réveillez vous!"

Jerzy Pawlowski )