snowboarding and a bad back

Old November 3rd 03, 11:49 AM

Default snowboarding and a bad back

rwbw soho wrote:

My wife is willing to give snowboarding a try this year, problem is she
has had 2 bad back spasms about 6 and 4 years ago. This summer she has
taken up jogging (10K) and stretching (mainly back excercises). We are
both 40 years old. Her back sometimes gets tingly when she lifts heavy
things every now and then and this is a problem thatruns in her family.

Hi! So am i...

I'm 41. I have the similar problem since 25 years old. I've been
snowboarding for 3 years and had no spasms while boarding.
Althow I have one or two spasms per year. A correlation is not observed :-)

And: Is this just a bad idea?

It's your (and her) choice.
I thing, it worth trying.
Warmup like uphill walking is good precaution!

Alexey

Old November 3rd 03, 03:42 PM
Iain D

rwbw soho wrote:
My wife is willing to give snowboarding a try this year, problem is she
has had 2 bad back spasms about 6 and 4 years ago. This summer she has
taken up jogging (10K) and stretching (mainly back excercises). We are
both 40 years old. Her back sometimes gets tingly when she lifts heavy
things every now and then and this is a problem thatruns in her family.

My question is: Does anyone out there snowboard with a back that has
had these similar problems? And: Is this just a bad idea? She is very
careful and we don't plan on doing anything wild. Does snowboarding put
a lot of strain on your back? I have been only snowboarding for a year
and don't remember my back feeling strained, just my legs.

rwbw.

I think that if you can run 10K then you can probably snowboard -
running is pretty effective at exposing weaknesses in the back.
Snowboarding doesn't have to put a big strain on your back but it is
somewhat asymetrical both when riding and sitting on the chairlift. My
tips for avoiding a stiff back:
* try to sit square on the chair lift and support the weight of the
board on both legs
* be careful how you sit in the lodge after snowboarding - sitting with
poor posture after sport (i.e. when your muscles are cooling down) is
definitely bad
* plenty of stretching at the end of the day to loosen the muscles and
keep the back aligned.

--
IainD at ukme dot me dot uk

Old November 4th 03, 06:37 AM

rwbw soho wrote:

I can't believe (Alexey) you get one or two spasms a year...it
put my wife in bed for 4 days solid before she could get up....and
walk...the pain!

You are right, it's very painful. But I exceed nothing.

Before now, I spent 7-10 days in a bed, every time as it chanced. But I
met a very good doctor.
He use the vietnameese medicine. Five nails into my backbone, and five
days of long walks - it's better, than lie in a bed :-)

Good luck!
Alexey.

Old November 5th 03, 12:56 AM
Geoff

2 things, First, consult a Doctor of some sort if you haven't already.
Snowboarding falls can be pretty violent and quick. Make sure the back
in question can survive this possibility.
When I was learning to board I would get into some nasty spills
that would wind my back up like a spring. Luckily it never seemed to
bother it. I've actually gone to the slope in the morning with my back
feeling sore, due to riding in the car for hours and ended the day
feeling great. I assume that has to do with all the stretching and
usage the back gets over the course of the day. ButThat's just me and
my back. Your milage will no doubt vay. I'm now 31 and was 27 or 28
when learning.
Second, try weight training in addition to the running.
I've always had a weak back and been some what dependant on
Chiropractic adjustments ever 2-4 months to keep me in shape. I took
up running 3 years ago, which helped a little. A few months ago I took
up weight training and I have not had the need to visit a chiro once
since then. Keeping in mind that my weight training regime is neither
intensive nor consistent as it should be. So I've noticed that a
little effort will go a long way. My advice, see a phycisian, join a
gym, and get a trainer to set you up with a routine that enphasises
your core muscle groups (abs, chest, upper, lower back). You can do
them all with machines and the mat, in case the weight room is too
intimidating. Finding a good trainer is key, you don't want a muscle
head, you want someone that has training with building muscle for
reasons other than to look good in a Speedo.

Good luck with the back.

Old November 5th 03, 04:51 AM
rwbw soho

I think that if you can run 10K then you can probably snowboard -
running is pretty effective at exposing weaknesses in the back.
Snowboarding doesn't have to put a big strain on your back but it is
somewhat asymetrical both when riding and sitting on the chairlift. My
tips for avoiding a stiff back:
* try to sit square on the chair lift and support the weight of the
board on both legs
* be careful how you sit in the lodge after snowboarding - sitting with
poor posture after sport (i.e. when your muscles are cooling down) is
definitely bad
* plenty of stretching at the end of the day to loosen the muscles and
keep the back aligned.

Thanks for the replies...we are definately going to take all the
advice...I can't believe (Alexey) you get one or two spasms a year...it
put my wife in bed for 4 days solid before she could get up....and
walk...the pain!

Glad you mentioned the chairlift...it does pose a problem cause only
one leg gets to bear all the weight of the board. I found the lifts
quite uncomfortable for boarders.....we are going to have to just try.

rwbw
Old November 5th 03, 10:12 AM
chog

for weight training specifically for backs check out -

http://www.kieser-training.com/index.en.html

not sure where you're based, but there's lots around europe. if not try and
find a place that uses the same MED X machines.

om...

Old November 8th 03, 04:50 AM
rwbw soho

In article , chog
wrote:

http://www.kieser-training.com/index.en.html

We will probably weight train at home. I have free weights and a bench.
I work out but me wife doesn't like the bench at all.

Anybody know of any resources on the web to strengthen the back would
be helpful...I have some books and such.....

BTW has anybody actually hurt their back while trying to learn
snowboarding? Thats a little different than dealing with a sore back
after boarding for a day!

rwbw